’94 ford explorer –the engine dies while driving - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2005, 11:02   #1 (permalink)
redcat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
’94 ford explorer –the engine dies while driving

Even though the Fuel pump relay has been replaced, sometimes the car
won’t start. So we do the “take the relay out to cool off” stuff, and
then it will start.

The bigger problem is that at times the engine will die while I’m
driving. The battery light comes on and the rpm goes to zero as the
engine cuts out completely. I’ve been fortunate to be able to
manuever it safely to the side of the road although the power steering
won’t work at that point.

It can be very dangerous and happens without warning. It happened
last week when I was driving on a highway at a constant 55mph and was
60 miles into the trip…. then it happened twice in one day. The first
time I was doing 40mph and only 8 miles from home, got it restarted
and to my destination where the car sat for 3 hours. I was on the way
home and it died when slowing down for a stop sign and only 3 miles
into my return trip.

I usually let it sit for a minute or two and try to restart. If that
doesn’t work, I do the relay thing mentioned above.

The mechanics are mystified. They cannot pinpoint the problem. I’m
afraid to drive it any distance unless my husband is with me.

I looked through a lot of the postings, but didn’t see anything
specific about this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict112534.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=529132
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-17-2005, 12:01   #2 (permalink)
dicko
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ’94 ford explorer –the engine dies while driving

My '94 did that too. I did the whole thing with the fuel pump relay as
well as the relay supplying power to the whole car. Turned out to be
the battery. A new battery cured the problem.

dickm

On 17 Apr 2005 12:35:01 -0400, redcat <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com>
wrote:

>Even though the Fuel pump relay has been replaced, sometimes the car
>won’t start. So we do the “take the relay out to cool off” stuff, and
>then it will start.
>
>The bigger problem is that at times the engine will die while I’m
>driving. The battery light comes on and the rpm goes to zero as the
>engine cuts out completely. I’ve been fortunate to be able to
>manuever it safely to the side of the road although the power steering
>won’t work at that point.
>
>It can be very dangerous and happens without warning. It happened
>last week when I was driving on a highway at a constant 55mph and was
>60 miles into the trip…. then it happened twice in one day. The first
>time I was doing 40mph and only 8 miles from home, got it restarted
>and to my destination where the car sat for 3 hours. I was on the way
>home and it died when slowing down for a stop sign and only 3 miles
>into my return trip.
>
>I usually let it sit for a minute or two and try to restart. If that
>doesn’t work, I do the relay thing mentioned above.
>
>The mechanics are mystified. They cannot pinpoint the problem. I’m
>afraid to drive it any distance unless my husband is with me.
>
>I looked through a lot of the postings, but didn’t see anything
>specific about this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 13:01   #3 (permalink)
Big Bill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ’94 ford explorer –the engine dies while driving

On 17 Apr 2005 12:35:01 -0400, redcat <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com>
wrote:

>Even though the Fuel pump relay has been replaced, sometimes the car
>won’t start. So we do the “take the relay out to cool off” stuff, and
>then it will start.
>
>The bigger problem is that at times the engine will die while I’m
>driving. The battery light comes on and the rpm goes to zero as the
>engine cuts out completely. I’ve been fortunate to be able to
>manuever it safely to the side of the road although the power steering
>won’t work at that point.
>
>It can be very dangerous and happens without warning. It happened
>last week when I was driving on a highway at a constant 55mph and was
>60 miles into the trip…. then it happened twice in one day. The first
>time I was doing 40mph and only 8 miles from home, got it restarted
>and to my destination where the car sat for 3 hours. I was on the way
>home and it died when slowing down for a stop sign and only 3 miles
>into my return trip.
>
>I usually let it sit for a minute or two and try to restart. If that
>doesn’t work, I do the relay thing mentioned above.
>
>The mechanics are mystified. They cannot pinpoint the problem. I’m
>afraid to drive it any distance unless my husband is with me.
>
>I looked through a lot of the postings, but didn’t see anything
>specific about this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!


From your description of the symptoms, it would seem that he
electrical system is, at times, simply not working.
How old is the battery? Sometimes, when they are at their service
life, they will short from junk (I'm sure there's a name for it other
than sediment) in the bottom of the battery. I'd have the battery
checked.
I'd also check the positive battery cable; peel back some of the
insulation at the battery end. If there's any corrosion, the cable
needs to be replaced.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:01   #4 (permalink)
Happy Father
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '94 ford explorer -the engine dies while driving

i agree with the cable problem
"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
news:goc5615rue02pi6l3f35o7pn64bufcboda@4ax.com...
> On 17 Apr 2005 12:35:01 -0400, redcat <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Even though the Fuel pump relay has been replaced, sometimes the car
>>won't start. So we do the "take the relay out to cool off" stuff, and
>>then it will start.
>>
>>The bigger problem is that at times the engine will die while I'm
>>driving. The battery light comes on and the rpm goes to zero as the
>>engine cuts out completely. I've been fortunate to be able to
>>manuever it safely to the side of the road although the power steering
>>won't work at that point.
>>
>>It can be very dangerous and happens without warning. It happened
>>last week when I was driving on a highway at a constant 55mph and was
>>60 miles into the trip.. then it happened twice in one day. The first
>>time I was doing 40mph and only 8 miles from home, got it restarted
>>and to my destination where the car sat for 3 hours. I was on the way
>>home and it died when slowing down for a stop sign and only 3 miles
>>into my return trip.
>>
>>I usually let it sit for a minute or two and try to restart. If that
>>doesn't work, I do the relay thing mentioned above.
>>
>>The mechanics are mystified. They cannot pinpoint the problem. I'm
>>afraid to drive it any distance unless my husband is with me.
>>
>>I looked through a lot of the postings, but didn't see anything
>>specific about this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

>
> From your description of the symptoms, it would seem that he
> electrical system is, at times, simply not working.
> How old is the battery? Sometimes, when they are at their service
> life, they will short from junk (I'm sure there's a name for it other
> than sediment) in the bottom of the battery. I'd have the battery
> checked.
> I'd also check the positive battery cable; peel back some of the
> insulation at the battery end. If there's any corrosion, the cable
> needs to be replaced.
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:01   #5 (permalink)
redcat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: '94 ford explorer -the engine dies while driving

"Happy Father" wrote:
> i agree with the cable problem
> "Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
> news:goc5615rue02pi6l3f35o7pn64bufcboda@4ax.com...
> > On 17 Apr 2005 12:35:01 -0400, redcat &lt;UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com&gt;
> > wrote:
> >

> &nbsp;>>Even though the Fuel pump relay has been replaced,
> sometimes the car
> &nbsp;>>won't start. So we do the "take the relay out to cool
> off" stuff, and
> &nbsp;>>then it will start.
> &nbsp;>>
> &nbsp;>>The bigger problem is that at times the engine will
> die while I'm
> &nbsp;>>driving. The battery light comes on and the rpm goes
> to zero as the
> &nbsp;>>engine cuts out completely. I've been fortunate to be
> able to
> &nbsp;>>manuever it safely to the side of the road although
> the power steering
> &nbsp;>>won't work at that point.
> &nbsp;>>
> &nbsp;>>It can be very dangerous and happens without warning.
> It happened
> &nbsp;>>last week when I was driving on a highway at a
> constant 55mph and was
> &nbsp;>>60 miles into the trip.. then it happened twice in one
> day. The first
> &nbsp;>>time I was doing 40mph and only 8 miles from home, got
> it restarted
> &nbsp;>>and to my destination where the car sat for 3 hours.
> I was on the way
> &nbsp;>>home and it died when slowing down for a stop sign and
> only 3 miles
> &nbsp;>>into my return trip.
> &nbsp;>>
> &nbsp;>>I usually let it sit for a minute or two and try to
> restart. If that
> &nbsp;>>doesn't work, I do the relay thing mentioned above.
> &nbsp;>>
> &nbsp;>>The mechanics are mystified. They cannot pinpoint the
> problem. I'm
> &nbsp;>>afraid to drive it any distance unless my husband is
> with me.
> &nbsp;>>
> &nbsp;>>I looked through a lot of the postings, but didn't see
> anything
> &nbsp;>>specific about this. Any insight would be greatly
> appreciated!
> >
> > From your description of the symptoms, it would seem that he
> > electrical system is, at times, simply not working.
> > How old is the battery? Sometimes, when they are at their

> service
> > life, they will short from junk (I'm sure there's a name for

> it other
> > than sediment) in the bottom of the battery. I'd have the

> battery
> > checked.
> > I'd also check the positive battery cable; peel back some of

> the
> > insulation at the battery end. If there's any corrosion, the

> cable
> > needs to be replaced.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Funk
> > Change "g" to "a"


I can’t thank you all enough for your input!! We bought the car last
April and don’t know how old the battery is, but we will be buying a
new one this week (and having the cables checked). Thanks again from
this mechanically challenged couple!

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict112534.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=530813
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 16:01   #6 (permalink)
Richard Minami
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ’94 ford explorer –the engine dies while driving

Could it be a fuel filter? I think there's one on the '94s... (I'm
mechanically challenged as well) But it sure sounds like the same symptoms
as my parent's old '82 Ford van. It died on the freeway while I had the
pedal down. I was able to quickly throw it into neutral and restart the
engine and pop it back into drive. We didn't have a problem for the rest of
the drive. But a friend suggested the fuel filter. We had it changed a few
days later and never saw the problem again.

My '94 Explorer factory battery lasted 10 years! I couldn't believe it, so
I checked all my records and couldn't find any new battery purchase. There
is a chance that I lost it, but I don't think so. I guess it has to do with
Seattle's mild winters and pleasant summers. Life has been hectic, and I
just never thought about it. It always fired right up. Last year on what
turned out to be the coldest day of the winter, it still cranked but had a
hard time. Got the battery replaced the next day. I wonder how much more
"borrowed time" I could have sqeezed out of that thing!

Richard Minami
2005 Explorer XLT Sport 4x4
1997 Coleman Yukon


"redcat" <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
news:1_529132_bc2b0957018a10ddc372a36d655b9b93@autoforumz.com...
> Even though the Fuel pump relay has been replaced, sometimes the car
> won’t start. So we do the “take the relay out to cool off” stuff, and
> then it will start.
>
> The bigger problem is that at times the engine will die while I’m
> driving. The battery light comes on and the rpm goes to zero as the
> engine cuts out completely. I’ve been fortunate to be able to
> manuever it safely to the side of the road although the power steering
> won’t work at that point.
>
> It can be very dangerous and happens without warning. It happened
> last week when I was driving on a highway at a constant 55mph and was
> 60 miles into the trip…. then it happened twice in one day. The first
> time I was doing 40mph and only 8 miles from home, got it restarted
> and to my destination where the car sat for 3 hours. I was on the way
> home and it died when slowing down for a stop sign and only 3 miles
> into my return trip.
>
> I usually let it sit for a minute or two and try to restart. If that
> doesn’t work, I do the relay thing mentioned above.
>
> The mechanics are mystified. They cannot pinpoint the problem. I’m
> afraid to drive it any distance unless my husband is with me.
>
> I looked through a lot of the postings, but didn’t see anything
> specific about this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:

http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict112534.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=529132


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:02   #7 (permalink)
redcat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: ’94 ford explorer –the engine dies while driving

"Richard Minami" wrote:
> Could it be a fuel filter? I think there's one on the '94s...
> (I'm
> mechanically challenged as well) But it sure sounds like the
> same symptoms
> as my parent's old '82 Ford van. It died on the freeway while
> I had the
> pedal down. I was able to quickly throw it into neutral and
> restart the
> engine and pop it back into drive. We didn't have a problem
> for the rest of
> the drive. But a friend suggested the fuel filter. We had it
> changed a few
> days later and never saw the problem again.
>
> My '94 Explorer factory battery lasted 10 years! I couldn't
> believe it, so
> I checked all my records and couldn't find any new battery
> purchase. There
> is a chance that I lost it, but I don't think so. I guess it
> has to do with
> Seattle's mild winters and pleasant summers. Life has been
> hectic, and I
> just never thought about it. It always fired right up. Last
> year on what
> turned out to be the coldest day of the winter, it still
> cranked but had a
> hard time. Got the battery replaced the next day. I wonder
> how much more
> "borrowed time" I could have sqeezed out of that thing!
>
> Richard Minami
> 2005 Explorer XLT Sport 4x4
> 1997 Coleman Yukon
>
>
> "redcat" <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
> news:1_529132_bc2b0957018a10ddc372a36d655b9b93@autoforumz.com...
> > Even though the Fuel pump relay has been replaced, sometimes

> the car
> > won’t start. So we do the “take the relay out to cool off”

> stuff, and
> > then it will start.
> >
> > The bigger problem is that at times the engine will die

> while I’m
> > driving. The battery light comes on and the rpm goes to

> zero as the
> > engine cuts out completely. I’ve been fortunate to be able

> to
> > manuever it safely to the side of the road although the

> power steering
> > won’t work at that point.
> >
> > It can be very dangerous and happens without warning. It

> happened
> > last week when I was driving on a highway at a constant

> 55mph and was
> > 60 miles into the trip…. then it happened twice in one day.

> The first
> > time I was doing 40mph and only 8 miles from home, got it

> restarted
> > and to my destination where the car sat for 3 hours. I was

> on the way
> > home and it died when slowing down for a stop sign and only

> 3 miles
> > into my return trip.
> >
> > I usually let it sit for a minute or two and try to restart.

> If that
> > doesn’t work, I do the relay thing mentioned above.
> >
> > The mechanics are mystified. They cannot pinpoint the

> problem. I’m
> > afraid to drive it any distance unless my husband is with

> me.
> >
> > I looked through a lot of the postings, but didn’t see

> anything
> > specific about this. Any insight would be greatly

> appreciated!
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet

> standards
> > Topic URL:

> http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict112534.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

> abuse:
> http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=529132


Well, now......that could be another possibility. We did have a new
battery installed and had the cables checked (mechanic said they
didn’t need to be replaced). The car ran fine and then, on Saturday,
it died again. Same drill, take the relay out for a few minutes and
then put it back in and the car starts. We are going to take it back
and get the cables replaced after all. Will also have them check the
fuel filter. Thanks for the input!
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:55.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.