Mileage down - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-05, 07:01 PM
The Wolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mileage down

I used to get high 18s in my 2001 Explorer Sport. I am down to low
16mpg?

4.0 V6

84,000 miles

Any ideas what to look at?

Thanks
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-05, 07:01 PM
Searcher1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mileage down

Spark plugs/wires-MAYBE/
Air cleaner/ Air pressure in tires/
Alignment/off by just a fraction could mean the difference of tires straight
on the road or dragging sideways 1/8 of every mile.

Just a few but these are th emain culprits of lowered gas mileage.
You didn't say if you have a check engine light on or not.

Searcher1


 
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-05, 07:01 PM
The Wolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mileage down

No check engine light. Tires brand new and pressure religiously checked.
New air filter.........

Searcher1 <ACBRN@CS.ver.aol.com> wrote:

> Spark plugs/wires-MAYBE/
> Air cleaner/ Air pressure in tires/
> Alignment/off by just a fraction could mean the difference of tires straight
> on the road or dragging sideways 1/8 of every mile.
>
> Just a few but these are th emain culprits of lowered gas mileage.
> You didn't say if you have a check engine light on or not.
>
> Searcher1

 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-05, 12:01 AM
Searcher1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mileage down

Plugs and or wires would be my best guess then. THey are Platinum plugs and
they should last 100 000, but I changed mine at 50000/
You may not like hearing this but I have a 97 Explorer 4.0 sohc with 97000.
I get 19/21 city and almost 23/24 highway. "Brother, it ain't no joke". I
always did get pretty good gas mileage and I have always used 87 octane, but
the "secret" is the oil and filter (as far as I'm concerned that is) I use
Mobile One oil and a K&N oil filter.LIke I said I changed my plugs at 50
and I have cleaned them since. Every month I will put in one bottle of 104
octane ( I feel ) It does a good job of keeping the system cleaner. I also
(like you) am religious about maintenance, tires/pressure/align, ETC.

A sensor could be going up (I think, don't hold me to this) and that might
cause a drop in mileage, But chasing it down is like finding hens teeth,
until it goes completely or enough to trigger a DTC.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Searcher1


 
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-05, 09:01 PM
Ed Mann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mileage down

Don't forget to check the thermostat. If the engine isn't heating up
properly, you'll run rich all the time.

"The Wolf" <elvisp@compuserve.com> wrote in message
news:1gypyv9.1rm70enor0uimN%elvisp@compuserve.com...
> I used to get high 18s in my 2001 Explorer Sport. I am down to low
> 16mpg?
>
> 4.0 V6
>
> 84,000 miles
>
> Any ideas what to look at?
>
> Thanks



 
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-05, 06:01 AM
The Wolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mileage down

Any tips for getting the rear plug on the passenger side? It looks like
a bear. I have a hight quality torque wrench.

So plugs and wires will be next.

I did a cross counry trip couple of years ago and the best I got was
20mph.

V-6 4.0 SOHC


Searcher1 <ACBRN@CS.ver.aol.com> wrote:

> Plugs and or wires would be my best guess then. THey are Platinum plugs and
> they should last 100 000, but I changed mine at 50000/
> You may not like hearing this but I have a 97 Explorer 4.0 sohc with 97000.
> I get 19/21 city and almost 23/24 highway. "Brother, it ain't no joke". I
> always did get pretty good gas mileage and I have always used 87 octane, but
> the "secret" is the oil and filter (as far as I'm concerned that is) I use
> Mobile One oil and a K&N oil filter.LIke I said I changed my plugs at 50
> and I have cleaned them since. Every month I will put in one bottle of 104
> octane ( I feel ) It does a good job of keeping the system cleaner. I also
> (like you) am religious about maintenance, tires/pressure/align, ETC.
>
> A sensor could be going up (I think, don't hold me to this) and that might
> cause a drop in mileage, But chasing it down is like finding hens teeth,
> until it goes completely or enough to trigger a DTC.
>
> Good luck and let us know how it goes.
>
> Searcher1

 
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-05, 11:01 AM
Al Williams
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mileage down

I've read that you can take off the passenger front wheel and the inside
wheel-well cover and get it from there. Haven't tried it yet but it is due
on my 98 so post back if you figured it out.

--
Allan Williams



"The Wolf" <elvisp@compuserve.com> wrote in message
news:1gysrzg.i6z5l21oio0a0N%elvisp@compuserve.com...
> Any tips for getting the rear plug on the passenger side? It looks like
> a bear. I have a hight quality torque wrench.
>
> So plugs and wires will be next.
>
> I did a cross counry trip couple of years ago and the best I got was
> 20mph.
>
> V-6 4.0 SOHC
>
>
> Searcher1 <ACBRN@CS.ver.aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Plugs and or wires would be my best guess then. THey are Platinum plugs
>> and
>> they should last 100 000, but I changed mine at 50000/
>> You may not like hearing this but I have a 97 Explorer 4.0 sohc with
>> 97000.
>> I get 19/21 city and almost 23/24 highway. "Brother, it ain't no joke". I
>> always did get pretty good gas mileage and I have always used 87 octane,
>> but
>> the "secret" is the oil and filter (as far as I'm concerned that is) I
>> use
>> Mobile One oil and a K&N oil filter.LIke I said I changed my plugs at 50
>> and I have cleaned them since. Every month I will put in one bottle of
>> 104
>> octane ( I feel ) It does a good job of keeping the system cleaner. I
>> also
>> (like you) am religious about maintenance, tires/pressure/align, ETC.
>>
>> A sensor could be going up (I think, don't hold me to this) and that
>> might
>> cause a drop in mileage, But chasing it down is like finding hens teeth,
>> until it goes completely or enough to trigger a DTC.
>>
>> Good luck and let us know how it goes.
>>
>> Searcher1



 
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-05, 01:01 PM
Als
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mileage down

Just did this job.
A long extension through the passenger wheel well can get it done for you.
(I did not remove the wheel just a hard left turn before I shut it off..) I
did use a swivel next to the socket however. Hope this helps.

Al
"Al Williams" <donotreplydirect@usenewsgroup.com> wrote in message
news:uqVve.108803$on1.6844@clgrps13...
> I've read that you can take off the passenger front wheel and the inside
> wheel-well cover and get it from there. Haven't tried it yet but it is
> due on my 98 so post back if you figured it out.
>
> --
> Allan Williams
>
>
>
> "The Wolf" <elvisp@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> news:1gysrzg.i6z5l21oio0a0N%elvisp@compuserve.com...
>> Any tips for getting the rear plug on the passenger side? It looks like
>> a bear. I have a hight quality torque wrench.
>>
>> So plugs and wires will be next.
>>
>> I did a cross counry trip couple of years ago and the best I got was
>> 20mph.
>>
>> V-6 4.0 SOHC
>>
>>
>> Searcher1 <ACBRN@CS.ver.aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Plugs and or wires would be my best guess then. THey are Platinum plugs
>>> and
>>> they should last 100 000, but I changed mine at 50000/
>>> You may not like hearing this but I have a 97 Explorer 4.0 sohc with
>>> 97000.
>>> I get 19/21 city and almost 23/24 highway. "Brother, it ain't no joke".
>>> I
>>> always did get pretty good gas mileage and I have always used 87 octane,
>>> but
>>> the "secret" is the oil and filter (as far as I'm concerned that is) I
>>> use
>>> Mobile One oil and a K&N oil filter.LIke I said I changed my plugs at
>>> 50
>>> and I have cleaned them since. Every month I will put in one bottle of
>>> 104
>>> octane ( I feel ) It does a good job of keeping the system cleaner. I
>>> also
>>> (like you) am religious about maintenance, tires/pressure/align, ETC.
>>>
>>> A sensor could be going up (I think, don't hold me to this) and that
>>> might
>>> cause a drop in mileage, But chasing it down is like finding hens teeth,
>>> until it goes completely or enough to trigger a DTC.
>>>
>>> Good luck and let us know how it goes.
>>>
>>> Searcher1

>
>



 
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-05, 06:01 AM
wth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mileage down

Did you go from regular unleaded to a 90/10 blend ethanol? You will get
better mileage with plain unleaded, but around here it's 10 cents/gal more.
wth

"The Wolf" <elvisp@compuserve.com> wrote in message
news:1gypyv9.1rm70enor0uimN%elvisp@compuserve.com...
>I used to get high 18s in my 2001 Explorer Sport. I am down to low
> 16mpg?
>
> 4.0 V6
>
> 84,000 miles
>
> Any ideas what to look at?
>
> Thanks



 
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-05, 07:01 AM
The Wolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mileage down

No

wth <HATESSPAM@mchsi.com> wrote:

> Did you go from regular unleaded to a 90/10 blend ethanol? You will get
> better mileage with plain unleaded, but around here it's 10 cents/gal more.
> wth
>
> "The Wolf" <elvisp@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> news:1gypyv9.1rm70enor0uimN%elvisp@compuserve.com...
> >I used to get high 18s in my 2001 Explorer Sport. I am down to low
> > 16mpg?
> >
> > 4.0 V6
> >
> > 84,000 miles
> >
> > Any ideas what to look at?
> >
> > Thanks

 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome