Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 15:01   #1 (permalink)
Random Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8

I am getting ready to replace my plugs and wires and was wondering if
anyone had any specific recomendations for a set of plugs? I have been
looking at the Splitfire TP10D, but dont really know to much about
them.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2005, 15:01   #2 (permalink)
Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8


"Random Guy" <randompratt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1132344361.914942.62700@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I am getting ready to replace my plugs and wires and was wondering if
> anyone had any specific recomendations for a set of plugs? I have been
> looking at the Splitfire TP10D, but dont really know to much about
> them.
>


What's wrong with the Ford recommended ones?

Bob


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
Random Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8

Nothing. I was just curious as to what others have used and the
results.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8

The magical, mystical world of spark plugs.... ever so many "tricks" and
"gimmicks" have been tried over the years.... splitfire - V-groove - +4....
the list goes on.

We do see concerns from using aftermarket spark plugs... I don't know why -
I have some theories but hesitate to voice them until they become more than
theories.

Anyway, I have used Bosch (no, not any of the fancy ones) and NGK with good
success in the past. By the same token, I have scrapped good looking Bosch
and NGK plugs and seen improvements.... I'm getting old and cautious - these
days I like to put ACs in GMs and Motorcrafts in Fords and so on... the
factory has taken their OE plugs into account when designing these things.

For your EX.... it has a "waste spark" ignition system.... the spark plugs
on one bank fire from centre to ground and, on the other bank, ground to
center. If these spark plugs are the originals, you will notice that the
plugs from one side will look different from the other.... one side will
have AWSF??PP and the other side will be PG. If you can't get double
platinums, settle for the lower cost copper plugs.

Avoid "trick'o'the week" plugs....

"Random Guy" <randompratt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1132351994.765532.245020@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Nothing. I was just curious as to what others have used and the
> results.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
carbide@egine.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8


Jim Warman wrote:
..
>
> For your EX.... it has a "waste spark" ignition system.... the spark plugs
> on one bank fire from centre to ground and, on the other bank, ground to
> center. If these spark plugs are the originals, you will notice that the
> plugs from one side will look different from the other.... one side will
> have AWSF??PP and the other side will be PG. If you can't get double
> platinums, settle for the lower cost copper plugs.
>


Interesting. I hadn't heard of this, but it makes sense. See "Figure 5
Typical distributorless ignition schematic on this page":
http://tinyurl.com/cow68

-Paul

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 22:01   #6 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8

Yep... that's what I'm describing... In this system, there are two spark
plugs attached to one coil. These are paired in what is known as "running
mates".... When one cylinder is coming up on compresion, it's running mate
is coming up on exhaust. Both spark plugs "fire" (I don't like that term,
but it gets the point across) at the same time. For the cylinder containing
a "working mixture", this is good... for the cylinder that still contains
spent mixture, it doesn't mean anything.

Waste spark systems have some unique considerations.... a little complex to
go into without tuerning this posy into something that will lose people
quickly... Suffice to say that there are times where coil concerns can
affect only one sylinder.

On these systems there is always one "poitive" plug and one "negative"
plug.... The spark never changes direction. The big benefit(s) of the
platinum plug is first, reduced material depletion.... each time a spark
plug "fires", a small amount of material is eroded from the electrode. It
doesn't deposit on it's counterpart since combustion chamber currents carry
this material away. Gap ionization (and therefore spark path) is "easier" to
create from a sharp corner than a rounded corner (please don't ask why - I
tired reading up on it but I keep falling asleep). The design of the plat
plug always presents a sharper corner than other materials simply because
the electrode is so skinny.

With this is mind, there is little sense in installing a plug with only one
platinum electrode in one of these systems. While we will reap the benefits
on one half of the motor, the other half of the motor will not see any of
the benefits... Combustion efficieny can suffer and runing concerns could
emerge. Given that spark plugs are now expected to live well beyond the
warranty period, the manufacturers have little concern over what hapens....


<carbide@egine.com> wrote in message
news:1132373137.409878.49040@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Jim Warman wrote:
> .
> >
> > For your EX.... it has a "waste spark" ignition system.... the spark

plugs
> > on one bank fire from centre to ground and, on the other bank, ground to
> > center. If these spark plugs are the originals, you will notice that the
> > plugs from one side will look different from the other.... one side will
> > have AWSF??PP and the other side will be PG. If you can't get double
> > platinums, settle for the lower cost copper plugs.
> >

>
> Interesting. I hadn't heard of this, but it makes sense. See "Figure 5
> Typical distributorless ignition schematic on this page":
> http://tinyurl.com/cow68
>
> -Paul
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 00:01   #7 (permalink)
carbide@egine.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8


Jim Warman wrote:

>
> With this is mind, there is little sense in installing a plug with only one
> platinum electrode in one of these systems.


I'm not sure I understand that part. Are you saying that both
conductors of the plug (center electrode and ground lug) need to be
platinum plated, but not all plugs are?

I've just bought "platinum plugs" in the past, not getting into the
details of how much of the plug was platinum plated.
-Paul

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:01   #8 (permalink)
Mikepier
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8


Jim Warman wrote:
> Yep... that's what I'm describing... In this system, there are two spark
> plugs attached to one coil. These are paired in what is known as "running
> mates".... When one cylinder is coming up on compresion, it's running mate
> is coming up on exhaust. Both spark plugs "fire" (I don't like that term,
> but it gets the point across) at the same time. For the cylinder containing
> a "working mixture", this is good... for the cylinder that still contains
> spent mixture, it doesn't mean anything.


So is it safe to assume that these plugs will last half as long as
conventional plugs being the fact they fire twice as much, or is it a
non issue?

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 19:01   #9 (permalink)
Gerry Pierce
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8


<carbide@egine.com> wrote in message
news:1132384767.266203.133840@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Jim Warman wrote:
>
>>
>> With this is mind, there is little sense in installing a plug with only
>> one
>> platinum electrode in one of these systems.

>
> I'm not sure I understand that part. Are you saying that both
> conductors of the plug (center electrode and ground lug) need to be
> platinum plated, but not all plugs are?
>
> I've just bought "platinum plugs" in the past, not getting into the
> details of how much of the plug was platinum plated.
> -Paul
>


The aftermarket plugs have platinum on both the tip and the electode from my
understanding. The ones installed at the factory however only have it on
one surface, depending on which side of the coil they are on, this explains
the different numbers on them ones from the factory. They penny or two they
save on platinum, multiplied by 4, 6, or 8 adds up rather quickly.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 19:01   #10 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Plug recomendations for 98 Ford Exp V8

Pretty much of a non-issue... The spark plug that is under compression will
require about 8000 to 13000 volts to ionize the gap... this is the time
where there is quite a bit of material erosion.... Its running mate will be
coming up on exhaust.... At this very low pressure it only takes a one or
two KV to ionize the gap leaving a minimal amount of electrode erosion.

To help (I hope)... the spark actually has two "stages"... Before the spark
can bridge the gap, the space between the electrodes needs to be ionized...
This takes roughly 8 to 13 KV (thousand volts) and lasts very few
microseconds in a properly functioning system. Once the gap is ionized,
electrons begin to flow - been a while since I've needed to use an ignition
scope, but I recall about 2 to 5 KV as being about right. This part of the
spark would last about 1.5 milliseconds in a properly operating system.


"Mikepier" <mikepier@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:1132403839.817628.114290@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Jim Warman wrote:
> > Yep... that's what I'm describing... In this system, there are two spark
> > plugs attached to one coil. These are paired in what is known as

"running
> > mates".... When one cylinder is coming up on compresion, it's running

mate
> > is coming up on exhaust. Both spark plugs "fire" (I don't like that

term,
> > but it gets the point across) at the same time. For the cylinder

containing
> > a "working mixture", this is good... for the cylinder that still

contains
> > spent mixture, it doesn't mean anything.

>
> So is it safe to assume that these plugs will last half as long as
> conventional plugs being the fact they fire twice as much, or is it a
> non issue?
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.