Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 01:08   #1 (permalink)
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

"Dave Horoschak" wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find the instructions for
> replacing the EGR
> valve in a 96 Explorer V8? None of the typical manuals
> (Chiltons,
> Haynes) cover the V8 in enough detail for this to be included.
>
> Thanks.
> - Dave


I had my EGR valve, EGR sensor and the Vaccum control valve on my 96
V8 Explorer replaced by the dealer and it cost over $300. I felt
ripped off. Since I requested my original parts to be saved, I feel
confident in doing it myself next time.

The following the is the procedure that I would use. Buy parts or
examine the parts used. From this examination it can be seen that the
EGR sensor mounts on the back of the EGR value by three small nuts.
Before starting I WOULD DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST. I would
carefully remove these three nuts first and then remove the electrical
connector from the sensor(because it is held top and bottom by the
electrical connectorís slip clips, I see that I canít easily get to
the lower clip when the sensor is mounted on the back of the EGR
Valve). Although the quarters are tight, the bottom retaining bolt or
nut on the EGR Valve should be now be accessible with either a
universal joint/socket combination or a special purpose wrench. After
removing the EGR valve and cleaning the surface. The installation of a
new EGR could be done in reverse order. I would attach the electrical
cable to the EGR sensor after it is mounted to the back of the EGR
valve. This way should allow me more room to install the three small
EGR sensor nuts. Although, I havenít performed the above installation
myself this is the approach I would use if my EGR valve needs
replacement again.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict105117.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=501079
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2005, 01:09   #2 (permalink)
phoeneous
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

"Frank" wrote:
> I had my EGR valve, EGR sensor and the Vaccum control valve on
> my 96 V8 Explorer replaced by the dealer and it cost over
> $300. I felt ripped off. Since I requested my original parts
> to be saved, I feel confident in doing it myself next time.
>
> The following the is the procedure that I would use. Buy parts
> or examine the parts used. From this examination it can be
> seen that the EGR sensor mounts on the back of the EGR value
> by three small nuts. Before starting I WOULD DISCONNECT THE
> BATTERY FIRST. I would carefully remove these three nuts first
> and then remove the electrical connector from the
> sensor(because it is held top and bottom by the electrical
> connector's slip clips, I see that I can't easily get to the
> lower clip when the sensor is mounted on the back of the EGR
> Valve). Although the quarters are tight, the bottom retaining
> bolt or nut on the EGR Valve should be now be accessible with
> either a universal joint/socket combination or a special
> purpose wrench. After removing the EGR valve and cleaning the
> surface. The installation of a new EGR could be done in
> reverse order. I would attach the electrical cable to the EGR
> sensor after it is mounted to the back of the EGR valve. This
> way should allow me more room to install the three small EGR
> sensor nuts. Although, I haven't performed the above
> installation myself this is the approach I would use if my EGR
> valve needs replacement again.


I need to clean my EGR valve because it is blocked. Im not sure where
it is under my hood but this is the most similar part compared to most
others.

So, is this my EGR Valve?

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...92egrfront.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...92egrright.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrleft.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:09   #3 (permalink)
Fred 2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

No it is not, that part is a vaccum operated water valve for the
heater.

On 14 Mar 2005 19:34:56 -0500, phoeneous <DoNotEmail@AutoForumz.com>
wrote:


>
>So, is this my EGR Valve?
>
>http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...92egrfront.jpg
>
>http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...92egrright.jpg
>
>http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrleft.jpg


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:09   #4 (permalink)
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

"phoeneous" wrote:
> I need to clean my EGR valve because it is blocked. Im not
> sure where it is under my hood but this is the most similar
> part compared to most others.
>
> So, is this my EGR Valve?
>
> [img:ed9294cd90]http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrfront.jpg[/img:ed9294cd90]
>
> [img:ed9294cd90]http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrright.jpg[/img:ed9294cd90]
>
> [img:ed9294cd90]http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrleft.jpg[/img:ed9294cd90]


Phoneous,
I have a 96 Explorer 5.0L V8. Although your layout is different, it
looks close enough to mine to assume the valveís location is the same.
In your third picture look at the nut that is approximately three
inches down from the end of your transmission check dip stick and
directly in front of it. That is the top nut which attaches the EGR
valve to the extreme corner of your intake manifold on the passenger
side as shown in your picture(On mine there is also a lower attaching
nut.). The nut is also right next to your EGR vaccum control valve.
This is the round black plastic unit with the six slotted cutouts,
which from your picture is approximately two to three inches to the
right of the red wire. Assuming that your EGR valve is at least
visually the same as mine, there should be a plastic EGR valve sensor
attached to the back of your EGR valve with an electrical cable
attached. If you are going to clean it only you might want to buy a
new gasket for your re-installing it. If you still have trouble
identifying it I suggest a visit to your Ford and ask to examine one.
Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:09   #5 (permalink)
Fred 2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

Forgot to mention, see that curved silver painted elbow-like part in
the first and third picture? That part is called an "EGR Spacer" the
EGR valve is mounted on the backside of that part facing the firewall

On 14 Mar 2005 19:34:56 -0500, phoeneous <DoNotEmail@AutoForumz.com>
wrote:


>
>http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...92egrfront.jpg
>
>http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...92egrright.jpg
>
>http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrleft.jpg


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:09   #6 (permalink)
phoeneous
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

"Frank" wrote:
> Phoneous,
> I have a 96 Explorer 5.0L V8. Although your layout is
> different, it looks close enough to mine to assume the valve's
> location is the same. In your third picture look at the nut
> that is approximately three inches down from the end of your
> transmission check dip stick and directly in front of it. That
> is the top nut which attaches the EGR valve to the extreme
> corner of your intake manifold on the passenger side as shown
> in your picture(On mine there is also a lower attaching nut.).
> The nut is also right next to your EGR vaccum control valve.
> This is the round black plastic unit with the six slotted
> cutouts, which from your picture is approximately two to three
> inches to the right of the red wire. Assuming that your EGR
> valve is at least visually the same as mine, there should be a
> plastic EGR valve sensor attached to the back of your EGR
> valve with an electrical cable attached. If you are going to
> clean it only you might want to buy a new gasket for your
> re-installing it. If you still have trouble identifying it I
> suggest a visit to your Ford and ask to examine one. Good
> luck.


So, thats not my EGR valve circled in the first picture? Ill have to
look again but I couldnt find anything that resembles the description
you gave me. Can you take a pic of yours?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:09   #7 (permalink)
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

"phoeneous" wrote:
> So, thats not my EGR valve circled in the first picture? Ill
> have to look again but I couldnt find anything that resembles
> the description you gave me. Can you take a pic of yours?


Phoeneous,

I donít have a picture of my installation. What is the make and year
of your vehicle? With this info I can look up the part nos. for your
EGR Valve and the EGR Valve Position Sensor that mounts on the back of
it (assuming yours is the same as mine). If the parts number are the
same as mine I can give you a website which shows actual views of the
parts. Even if yours arenít the same as mine and if views are
available for your vechile, I will provide you the info for locating
the views so you can use them to locate the parts on your vehicle.

The unit that you circled on your first picture is most likely a part
of your heating system, because it looks like its attached to the
heater hoses, as in my vehicle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:09   #8 (permalink)
phoeneous
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

"Fred 2" wrote:
> No it is not, that part is a vaccum operated water valve for
> the
> heater.
>
> On 14 Mar 2005 19:34:56 -0500, phoeneous
> <DoNotEmail@AutoForumz.com>
> wrote:
>
>
> >
> >So, is this my EGR Valve?
> >
> >http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...92egrfront.jpg
> >
> >http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...92egrright.jpg
> >
> >http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrleft.jpg


Fred, can you edit the pics I posted and point to the area you are
referring to? Im confused

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict105117.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=502406
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:09   #9 (permalink)
Fred 2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement


Go the the URL below and look at the 2 scans and the captions below
them

http://ourplaceusa.home.att.net/egr.htm

On 15 Mar 2005 16:18:48 -0500, phoeneous
>
>Fred, can you edit the pics I posted and point to the area you are
>referring to? Im confused


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:09   #10 (permalink)
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

"phoeneous" wrote:
> Fred, can you edit the pics I posted and point to the area you
> are referring to? Im confused :(


Phoenous,

You need to state the year and make of your vehicle. For instance the
EGR valve in my 96 Explorer 5.0L looks like the info that I provided
you and applies to my year and make. My carís ianstallation is also
like the info Fred2 provided you. However, for instance, at the site
www.rockauto.com which I previously provided you, it lists two
different Ford(Motorcraft) Valve Part Nos. for a 97 Explorer 5.0L and
they are significantly different. One is exactly like mine and the
other is very different and doesnít use an EGR valve position sensor.

For your vehicle, you must look at this site and determine which one
you have. Hopely, yours is like the second one and not like mine.
First the second one is smaller, half the price and doesnít require an
EGR valve position sensor.

Fred has shown you where on your intake manifold it is and you need to
compare yours to the 97 example that I gave to determine which one
your vehicle has.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK:Aston Martin V8 Vantage Stacy94PGT Aston Martin 2 03-05-2005 08:15
1991 Explorer 4 x 4 hub replacement... Jamo Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator 0 12-23-2004 05:34
'91 Explorer 4 x 4 hub replacement Jamo Trans | Driveline 0 12-20-2004 05:22
!! I6 FAQ !! <--- Newbie's Look Here Con Inline 6 Tech 83 11-28-2004 04:49
replacement sub for Explorer JBL system putzfrau Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator 2 04-20-2004 06:21

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.