Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2005, 23:01   #1 (permalink)
Jack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy?

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> The headlamps in question ('92 Explorer) have low overall output, poor
> focus, a low peak intensity, narrow beam width and high levels of upward
> stray light. All of those factors add up to an objectively poor beam.


Now, THAT is fascinating!

Of course I don't have the ol' '92 around anymore so further discussion
of it's headlight performance would be worse than subjective. I ran them
day and night and changed bulbs perhaps two times in the 11 years I
owned it. I put better-than-OEM Halogen bulbs in it, so maybe thats why
I was happy with it -- or maybe they were holographic and gave only the
appearance of projected perfection.

I went from a '81 Chevy pickup to the '92 Explorer, and believe me --
the Explorer lights were infinitely better than those of the Chevy PU.

The '99's low beams are average, the "brights" are pretty good, focus
could be better, and I like being able to read the graffiti on the
under-side of the over-pass, but the "narrow" comment above is absurd --
subjectively speaking -- but like I said, my everyday comparison is the
'97 Sebring. I have yet to change a headlight bulb on the '99 Explorer.
I can hardly wait to see what it will do with AM bulbs -- probably have
to get a special license for it.

My first car (and my only other Chrysler product) was a '47 Dodge, and
with the lights and the tin-foil body work, I think I've had my last
Chrysler, if the rest are like the Sebring. Don't even get me started on
its electrics and ghost-ridden alarm system.

And 25 mpg -- BFD.


Jack
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-09-2005, 00:01   #2 (permalink)
nashjeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy?

My lenses are very cloudy- any inexpensive replacements you know of?


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:01   #3 (permalink)
Big Shoe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy?

Try polishing them with a cleaner/wax compound. I've been successful
cleaning up light lenses that way.

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:08:44 -0400, "nashjeff" <huntjamison@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>My lenses are very cloudy- any inexpensive replacements you know of?
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
Ulysses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy?


"Jack" <baron58y@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:2R8Ue.2097$jE2.1707@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>
> > The headlamps in question ('92 Explorer) have low overall output, poor
> > focus, a low peak intensity, narrow beam width and high levels of upward
> > stray light. All of those factors add up to an objectively poor beam.

>
> Now, THAT is fascinating!
>
> Of course I don't have the ol' '92 around anymore so further discussion
> of it's headlight performance would be worse than subjective. I ran them
> day and night and changed bulbs perhaps two times in the 11 years I
> owned it. I put better-than-OEM Halogen bulbs in it, so maybe thats why
> I was happy with it -- or maybe they were holographic and gave only the
> appearance of projected perfection.


I think they work so well that's it's difficult to tell if you have one not
working unless you go out and look.



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
stevie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy?

inside or outside??
"Big Shoe" <j_shoe.removethis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ra43i15j3cmpqse2o0s8l41ori3oo4dnj7@4ax.com...
Try polishing them with a cleaner/wax compound. I've been successful
cleaning up light lenses that way.

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:08:44 -0400, "nashjeff" <huntjamison@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>My lenses are very cloudy- any inexpensive replacements you know of?
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 15:01   #6 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy?

Jack wrote:


> I went from a '81 Chevy pickup to the '92 Explorer, and believe me --
> the Explorer lights were infinitely better than those of the Chevy PU.


Well, the 81 Chevy would have had good old sealed beams. Now 99.9% of
the sealed-beams I've ever had were about 100 times BETTER than 90s
vintage plastic Explorer headlamps (or pretty much ANY 1990s plastic
specific-to-a-given-model headlamp). But its always possible that you
had some really, really, really poor non-halogen sealed beams in the
Chevy, or halogens with a cracked outer housing that allowed moisture to
darken the reflectors, or a wiring problem.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 15:01   #7 (permalink)
Big Shoe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy?

Outside only! If they are clouded up inside, I don't know any way to
fix them. I think they are a sealed unit, but someone else may know
more about that.

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:54:51 -0500, "stevie" <sf@dum.org> wrote:

>inside or outside??
>"Big Shoe" <j_shoe.removethis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:ra43i15j3cmpqse2o0s8l41ori3oo4dnj7@4ax.com...
>Try polishing them with a cleaner/wax compound. I've been successful
>cleaning up light lenses that way.
>
>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:08:44 -0400, "nashjeff" <huntjamison@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>My lenses are very cloudy- any inexpensive replacements you know of?
>>

>

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 21:01   #8 (permalink)
Jack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy?

Steve wrote:

> Well, the 81 Chevy would have had good old sealed beams. Now 99.9% of
> the sealed-beams I've ever had were about 100 times BETTER than 90s
> vintage plastic Explorer headlamps (or pretty much ANY 1990s plastic
> specific-to-a-given-model headlamp).


My '92 Explorer headlights were glass.


Jack
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 22:02   #9 (permalink)
Daniel J. Stern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy?

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Jack wrote:

> My '92 Explorer headlights were glass.


Ummm...no. They weren't. Not unless you bought your '92 Explorer in
Germany, where glass-and-metal standard-format 200mm x 142mm rectangular
lamps were used (same size/shape as the large rectangular sealed beams in
your '81 Chev pickup, but in Europe they were a replaceable-bulb H4 unit).

North American-market Explorer headlamps used a plastic lens and a plastic
reflector.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 22:02   #10 (permalink)
Jack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy?

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> North American-market Explorer headlamps used a plastic lens and a plastic
> reflector.


OMG! They were plastic -- and I loved them?

Eeeeuuuuwwww.


Jack
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:37.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.