REPLACING BEARINGS FOR 1996 AWD FORD EXPLORER - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-05, 02:01 PM
REALRED20005
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
REPLACING BEARINGS FOR 1996 AWD FORD EXPLORER

I AM WONDERING I HAVE GOTTEN DIFFERENT ANSWERS. THE FIRST ANSWER I GOT WAS
THAT YOU CAN NOT REPLACE THE BEARINGS YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE HUB UNIT
BECAUSE THEY ARE SEALED.

THE 2ND IS YES YOU CAN REPLACE THE BEARINGS ALONE PLEASE WHICH IS
CORRECT?? MY EXPLORER IS A 1996 AWD NO ANTI-LOCK BREAKS, 8 CYL. THANKS



 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-05, 12:01 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: REPLACING BEARINGS FOR 1996 AWD FORD EXPLORER

I thinks yours is the hub/bearing type since it's a AWD.

"REALRED20005" <realred20005@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:0a302966286c72f79d15479e9dee8acd@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
> I AM WONDERING I HAVE GOTTEN DIFFERENT ANSWERS. THE FIRST ANSWER I GOT WAS
> THAT YOU CAN NOT REPLACE THE BEARINGS YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE HUB UNIT
> BECAUSE THEY ARE SEALED.
>
> THE 2ND IS YES YOU CAN REPLACE THE BEARINGS ALONE PLEASE WHICH IS
> CORRECT?? MY EXPLORER IS A 1996 AWD NO ANTI-LOCK BREAKS, 8 CYL. THANKS
>



 
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-05, 11:01 AM
pat gustafson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: REPLACING BEARINGS FOR 1996 AWD FORD EXPLORER

REALRED20005 wrote:
> I AM WONDERING I HAVE GOTTEN DIFFERENT ANSWERS. THE FIRST ANSWER I GOT WAS
> THAT YOU CAN NOT REPLACE THE BEARINGS YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE HUB UNIT
> BECAUSE THEY ARE SEALED.
>
> THE 2ND IS YES YOU CAN REPLACE THE BEARINGS ALONE PLEASE WHICH IS
> CORRECT?? MY EXPLORER IS A 1996 AWD NO ANTI-LOCK BREAKS, 8 CYL. THANKS
>

I replaced the hub/bearings on my 2000 4wd sport, took about
8 hours total.
Cost aroung 100 bucks a piece, + 20 for the BIG socket for
the hub nut.
pat
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-05, 07:01 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: REPLACING BEARINGS FOR 1996 AWD FORD EXPLORER

I don't know if the 2000 uses the same 95-99 hub/bearing design but the
official Ford price is $267. At fordpartsonline.com you can get it for about
$200. I hear there is a Timken replacement that goes for $176 but I couldn't
find one locally here in Dallas, TX.

The socket for the nut is a 32mm or a 1 1/4 inch. Cost me about 8 bucks at
pepboys.

I did mine this week and it took me ~2 hours per wheel (I did only one
side). You need to lift the truck and remove the wheel, brake caliper, rotor
and then the hub/bearing assembly. The rotor just sits on the hub but expect
to have to bang on it a bit to get it loose.


"pat gustafson" <CLpatOTHESg@lucent.moc> wrote in message
news:ddig94$ht@netnews.net.lucent.com...
> REALRED20005 wrote:
> > I AM WONDERING I HAVE GOTTEN DIFFERENT ANSWERS. THE FIRST ANSWER I GOT

WAS
> > THAT YOU CAN NOT REPLACE THE BEARINGS YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE HUB UNIT
> > BECAUSE THEY ARE SEALED.
> >
> > THE 2ND IS YES YOU CAN REPLACE THE BEARINGS ALONE PLEASE WHICH IS
> > CORRECT?? MY EXPLORER IS A 1996 AWD NO ANTI-LOCK BREAKS, 8 CYL. THANKS
> >

> I replaced the hub/bearings on my 2000 4wd sport, took about
> 8 hours total.
> Cost aroung 100 bucks a piece, + 20 for the BIG socket for
> the hub nut.
> pat



 
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-05, 10:01 AM
pat gustafson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: REPLACING BEARINGS FOR 1996 AWD FORD EXPLORER

zotiREMOVERTHISPART@hotmail.com wrote:
> I don't know if the 2000 uses the same 95-99 hub/bearing design but the
> official Ford price is $267. At fordpartsonline.com you can get it for about
> $200. I hear there is a Timken replacement that goes for $176 but I couldn't
> find one locally here in Dallas, TX.


You're right, it was around 170-180 for each hub. my bad.


pat
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome