Squeaky Suspension - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2005, 14:01   #1 (permalink)
jaydee56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Squeaky Suspension

My Ford Explorer squeaks when I drive it, and I tried to find the ball
joints to grease up, but found out that there isn't any. So my question is
how do I grease it up so that the suspension doesn't squeak?

Thank you,
John

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-17-2005, 05:01   #2 (permalink)
Mikepier
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeaky Suspension

Are you sure it's the ball joints? Usually it's the sway bar bushings
that squeak a lot. Those are easy to remove and lubricate. What year is
your truck?

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:01   #3 (permalink)
Steven Hilgendorf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeaky Suspension

Mikepier wrote:

> Are you sure it's the ball joints? Usually it's the sway bar bushings
> that squeak a lot. Those are easy to remove and lubricate. What year is
> your truck?
>


Hello, I have a smiler problem with my '98 EB AWD. For the past year,
or so, my suspension has been intermittently squeaky. I've noticed that
it only squeaks when it is hot and dry outside. During damp and rainy
weather I don't notice the squeaking. I've had it in to the dealer
twice for this problem, and guess what? No problem found both times :o)

My factory warranty just expired and I'm probably out of luck, so I
would like to know if there is anything I can do to eliminate this
intermittent squeaking? Any suggestions?

Steven
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:02   #4 (permalink)
stevie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeaky Suspension

if you had the car in under warranty, and the problem couldn't be found by
dealer, would they cover the problem under warranty if it re-occurs, even
though technically warranty expires?
"Steven Hilgendorf" <stevenmhPLEASE@REMOVEwi.rr.com> wrote in message
news:U%XWe.29992$mb4.23012@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...
Mikepier wrote:

> Are you sure it's the ball joints? Usually it's the sway bar bushings
> that squeak a lot. Those are easy to remove and lubricate. What year is
> your truck?
>


Hello, I have a smiler problem with my '98 EB AWD. For the past year,
or so, my suspension has been intermittently squeaky. I've noticed that
it only squeaks when it is hot and dry outside. During damp and rainy
weather I don't notice the squeaking. I've had it in to the dealer
twice for this problem, and guess what? No problem found both times :o)

My factory warranty just expired and I'm probably out of luck, so I
would like to know if there is anything I can do to eliminate this
intermittent squeaking? Any suggestions?

Steven


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
Steven Hilgendorf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeaky Suspension

Good question, it's a documented problem? The problem is intermittent,
and I was hoping it would become worse before the warranty expired,
today. Unfortunately, it has not gotten any worse, or better for that
matter, since I had it in the shop last Friday. I just want to get the
problem fixed, either way.

Steven

stevie wrote:
> if you had the car in under warranty, and the problem couldn't be found by
> dealer, would they cover the problem under warranty if it re-occurs, even
> though technically warranty expires?
> "Steven Hilgendorf" <stevenmhPLEASE@REMOVEwi.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:U%XWe.29992$mb4.23012@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> Mikepier wrote:
>
>
>>Are you sure it's the ball joints? Usually it's the sway bar bushings
>>that squeak a lot. Those are easy to remove and lubricate. What year is
>>your truck?
>>

>
>
> Hello, I have a smiler problem with my '98 EB AWD. For the past year,
> or so, my suspension has been intermittently squeaky. I've noticed that
> it only squeaks when it is hot and dry outside. During damp and rainy
> weather I don't notice the squeaking. I've had it in to the dealer
> twice for this problem, and guess what? No problem found both times :o)
>
> My factory warranty just expired and I'm probably out of luck, so I
> would like to know if there is anything I can do to eliminate this
> intermittent squeaking? Any suggestions?
>
> Steven
>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 22:01   #6 (permalink)
chuckster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeaky Suspension

Get under the truck and hit ALL the leaf springs, sway bar, and chassis
components at the contact points with some spray lube (use extension
tube) and this may help.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:01   #7 (permalink)
Steven Hilgendorf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeaky Suspension

chuckster wrote:
> Get under the truck and hit ALL the leaf springs, sway bar, and chassis
> components at the contact points with some spray lube (use extension
> tube) and this may help.
>


Thanks chuckster, that is what I was thinking too. What kind/brand of
spray lube? I was not sure if this would help, or hurt in the long run?
I've used/have PB Blaster for stubborn part removal, would this work
or be to aggressive?

I guess I could try 'hitting' a few places at a time to try and pinpoint
the location of the problem. If found, I could then make
repair/replacement decisions from there.

Thanks again,

Steven
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 16:01   #8 (permalink)
Kenneth J. Harris
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeaky Suspension

When the conditions are dry and you have the squeaks, Spray WD40 on the
edges of the leaf springs(both sides) first. See if that cures the
problem. If not, spray the sway bar bushings next and see if that gets
rid of the noise. This may not be the best choice for a permanent cure,
but it will at least identify or eliminate two suspects.

Ken

Steven Hilgendorf wrote:
> chuckster wrote:
>
>> Get under the truck and hit ALL the leaf springs, sway bar, and chassis
>> components at the contact points with some spray lube (use extension
>> tube) and this may help.
>>

>
> Thanks chuckster, that is what I was thinking too. What kind/brand of
> spray lube? I was not sure if this would help, or hurt in the long run?
> I've used/have PB Blaster for stubborn part removal, would this work
> or be to aggressive?
>
> I guess I could try 'hitting' a few places at a time to try and pinpoint
> the location of the problem. If found, I could then make
> repair/replacement decisions from there.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Steven

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 20:01   #9 (permalink)
Happy Traveler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeaky Suspension

For what it's worth, I traced the dry weather squeaks on my '98 AWD to the
front bushing of an anti-windup bar. Don't know if spraying would have been
effective, because I replaced the whole thing.
By the way, at least in the 98 model year the anti-windup bar came only with
the V8 engine.

"Kenneth J. Harris" <kharris@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote in message
news:yukXe.7692$IC3.68@fe12.lga...
> When the conditions are dry and you have the squeaks, Spray WD40 on the
> edges of the leaf springs(both sides) first. See if that cures the
> problem. If not, spray the sway bar bushings next and see if that gets
> rid of the noise. This may not be the best choice for a permanent cure,
> but it will at least identify or eliminate two suspects.



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:01   #10 (permalink)
Steven Hilgendorf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeaky Suspension

Thanks Ken and Happy Traveler for the suggestions. The squeaking is
absolutely coming from the front end. Do you remember how much the
anti-windup bar cost, if in USD$? I will look at my Ford Service CD for
R/R procedures of the A-W Bar.

Thanks again,

Steven

Happy Traveler wrote:
> For what it's worth, I traced the dry weather squeaks on my '98 AWD to the
> front bushing of an anti-windup bar. Don't know if spraying would have been
> effective, because I replaced the whole thing.
> By the way, at least in the 98 model year the anti-windup bar came only with
> the V8 engine.
>
> "Kenneth J. Harris" <kharris@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote in message
> news:yukXe.7692$IC3.68@fe12.lga...
>
>>When the conditions are dry and you have the squeaks, Spray WD40 on the
>>edges of the leaf springs(both sides) first. See if that cures the
>>problem. If not, spray the sway bar bushings next and see if that gets
>>rid of the noise. This may not be the best choice for a permanent cure,
>>but it will at least identify or eliminate two suspects.

>
>
>

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.