67 Overcharging!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2005, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
SteveT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
67 Overcharging!!

I had an issue a year ago that my car was not charging at all. I ended up
replacing my front wire harness. Cleaned all my grounds, got nice thick
cables to run my ground to the chassis (bare metal) and to the block. I
tried to use a common ford regulator and still could not get it working for
the life of me, looked like the wiring was backwards to the pin layout of
the generic regulator.Anyways I finally purchased a repro of the original
Autolite regulator. It worked great!!!! for a while, Now I'm reading 15-16
Volts when she running. Not good. All wiring in the front of the car is new.
Any Ideas why the regulator died or stopped working properly and now she's
got too much power Captain?

Thanks,
Steve


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-01-2005, 10:09   #2 (permalink)
jim.gm4dhj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 67 Overcharging!!


to use a common ford regulator and still could not get it working for
> the life of me, looked like the wiring was backwards to the pin layout of
> the generic regulator.Anyways I finally purchased a repro of the original
> Autolite regulator. It worked great!!!! for a while, Now I'm reading 15-16
> Volts when she running. Not good. All wiring in the front of the car is

new.
> Any Ideas why the regulator died or stopped working properly and now she's
> got too much power Captain?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
>

My '66 puts 20v accross the battery with no problems...!


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:01   #3 (permalink)
Big Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 67 Overcharging!!


"jim.gm4dhj" <jim.gm4dhj@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:eA93e.43$il.12@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>
> to use a common ford regulator and still could not get it working for
>> the life of me, looked like the wiring was backwards to the pin layout of
>> the generic regulator.Anyways I finally purchased a repro of the original
>> Autolite regulator. It worked great!!!! for a while, Now I'm reading
>> 15-16
>> Volts when she running. Not good. All wiring in the front of the car is

> new.
>> Any Ideas why the regulator died or stopped working properly and now
>> she's
>> got too much power Captain?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>
>>

> My '66 puts 20v accross the battery with no problems...!
>
>


Is this an "April Fool" reply? Voltage at the battery terminals should never
be higher than 14.9 Volts. If it is there is something wrong with he
charging system.

Al


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:01   #4 (permalink)
jim.gm4dhj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 67 Overcharging!!

>
> Is this an "April Fool" reply? Voltage at the battery terminals should

never
> be higher than 14.9 Volts. If it is there is something wrong with he
> charging system.
>
> Al
>
>

yes it seems a bit high doesn't it.....!


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
SteveT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 67 Overcharging!!

Yeh I know I spewing Battery acid all under my hood. I rigged a frisbee
gaurd to block the acid when i was driving the car so it didn't continue to
damage my paint under the hood.

I'm going to replace all the wiring under the dash when i do my cowls and
check all my grounds throughout the car.

let me know if you guys com into something.

Thanks,
Steve

"jim.gm4dhj" <jim.gm4dhj@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:Ire3e.88$il.0@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
> >
>> Is this an "April Fool" reply? Voltage at the battery terminals should

> never
>> be higher than 14.9 Volts. If it is there is something wrong with he
>> charging system.
>>
>> Al
>>
>>

> yes it seems a bit high doesn't it.....!
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 00:01   #6 (permalink)
Wound Up
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 67 Overcharging!!

"SteveT" <stevet1@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:6cKdnYJGMLDan8_fRVn-2g@rogers.com...
> Yeh I know I spewing Battery acid all under my hood. I rigged a frisbee
> gaurd to block the acid when i was driving the car so it didn't continue
> to damage my paint under the hood.


Egads man! That'll eat through the hood itself if it's doing that. "She's
stuck on full field, Captain!"

Replace the bloody regulator, and get the alternator bench tested (free,
where you bought it). Double check your connections, isolate them well,
with no "tink-tink" looseness if you use butt connectors, and wrap 'em up
well with tape or use shrink wrap. For extra fuss I put some of that
plastic conduit over the whole deal.

I know this acid damage because long ago, I once didn't have the batt tie
down in place, and the battery slid into the alt. fan. Pow. Acid
EVERYWHERE. Expensive newbie lesson - tie downs are like $12!! Toasted the
hood, belts, hoses, my new valve covers, air cleaner, sheeyt... what a mess.
Hope you get it fixed soon.

> I'm going to replace all the wiring under the dash when i do my cowls and
> check all my grounds throughout the car.
>
> let me know if you guys com into something.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> "jim.gm4dhj" <jim.gm4dhj@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:Ire3e.88$il.0@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>> >
>>> Is this an "April Fool" reply? Voltage at the battery terminals should

>> never
>>> be higher than 14.9 Volts. If it is there is something wrong with he
>>> charging system.
>>>
>>> Al
>>>
>>>

>> yes it seems a bit high doesn't it.....!
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:46.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.