87 Mustang GT help.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2005, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
DBZVegetaIII
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
87 Mustang GT help....

I have had my 87 Mustang GT now for a few months, but for some reason,
like most 'Stang owners do, I feel the need for more speed. I am not
very knowledgeable about these things, as I have never tried to fix a
car up before. I was just wondering if someone could give me some
advice on what mods I should do to my car to make it faster, my car is
all stock. I was thinking of getting new gears, maybe some 355s or
373s, but I read somewhere that although they increase acceleration,
they also decrease top speed, I have no idea if this is true or not.
Also I was thinking of a new exhaust and maybe a CAM.


-Rick

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-28-2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
JohnV@nn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 87 Mustang GT help....

DBZVegetaIII wrote:
> I have had my 87 Mustang GT now for a few months, but for some reason,
> like most 'Stang owners do, I feel the need for more speed. I am not
> very knowledgeable about these things, as I have never tried to fix a
> car up before. I was just wondering if someone could give me some
> advice on what mods I should do to my car to make it faster, my car is
> all stock. I was thinking of getting new gears, maybe some 355s or
> 373s, but I read somewhere that although they increase acceleration,
> they also decrease top speed, I have no idea if this is true or not.
> Also I was thinking of a new exhaust and maybe a CAM.
>
>
> -Rick


Read this:
http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/50must.htm

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
WindsorFox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 87 Mustang GT help....

DBZVegetaIII wrote:
> I have had my 87 Mustang GT now for a few months, but for some reason,
> like most 'Stang owners do, I feel the need for more speed. I am not
> very knowledgeable about these things, as I have never tried to fix a
> car up before. I was just wondering if someone could give me some
> advice on what mods I should do to my car to make it faster, my car is
> all stock. I was thinking of getting new gears, maybe some 355s or
> 373s, but I read somewhere that although they increase acceleration,
> they also decrease top speed, I have no idea if this is true or not.
> Also I was thinking of a new exhaust and maybe a CAM.
>
>
> -Rick
>



I believe you can forget the cam on an 87. That car uses speed
density calculations instead of a mass air flow meter.

--

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive,
difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

-- Gene Spafford
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
trainfan1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 87 Mustang GT help....

WindsorFox wrote:

> DBZVegetaIII wrote:
>
>> I have had my 87 Mustang GT now for a few months, but for some reason,
>> like most 'Stang owners do, I feel the need for more speed. I am not
>> very knowledgeable about these things, as I have never tried to fix a
>> car up before. I was just wondering if someone could give me some
>> advice on what mods I should do to my car to make it faster, my car is
>> all stock. I was thinking of getting new gears, maybe some 355s or
>> 373s, but I read somewhere that although they increase acceleration,
>> they also decrease top speed, I have no idea if this is true or not.
>> Also I was thinking of a new exhaust and maybe a CAM.
>>
>>
>> -Rick
>>

>
>
> I believe you can forget the cam on an 87. That car uses speed
> density calculations instead of a mass air flow meter.
>


Easily rectified.

Rob
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
DBZVegetaIII
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
87 Mustang GT help....

Well....I think I have finally decided on a new exhaust system;
however, I live in California. This is kind of a draw-back because of
the several emission restrictions here. Does anyone know of a good
exhaust and muffler combo that would add HP and also be compliant with
CA laws?

-Rick

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:01   #6 (permalink)
walt peifer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 87 Mustang GT help....


"DBZVegetaIII" <DBZVegetaIII@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1133241557.358944.245490@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Well....I think I have finally decided on a new exhaust system;
> however, I live in California. This is kind of a draw-back because of
> the several emission restrictions here. Does anyone know of a good
> exhaust and muffler combo that would add HP and also be compliant with
> CA laws?
>
> -Rick
>

with the 87 your system is called speed denisty. this sytem while robust
really only works well with the stock "factory' set up. the parameters in
the program don't adapt well to tweaks and changes.
i beleive that both JBA and Borla make and exhaust system (cat back) that
claim low end perfromance gains, however most dyno charts show the gains at
high to wide open throttle settings. As you plain on mostly street usage the
biggest bank for the buck so to speak is with a gear change i've found that
3.55 is optimal for the five speed cars 3.73 for the autos. the slight loss
in top speed will not be noticed.
converting your current system from S.D. to M.A. (Mass Air) is relatively
easy now as many dealers are selling all inclusive kits in the $500.00
range. This will allow for more tinkering and still give very good
drivability. on my 87 t-bird with no other mods i picked up 27 horses by
converting to Mass Air and had a big impovement in throttle response and
drivability.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.