CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 10:01   #1 (permalink)
Rich
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!!

I was at a gas station that borders a busy intersection
where I live in Toronto. Idly filling the tank, I looked
at the adjacent street and watched as a goofball, animatedly
talking on their cell phone crashed into the back of another
car. Both were BWMs. Since the driver was approaching a stop,
the accident was minor, ($2000 or so). But, since the front driver
was at a dead stop and since the rear driver had plenty of space
to do the same, it's clear the cell phone lover's mind wasn't on the
task of driving. I love the disoriented look the driver displayed
after the accident. I'd be the same since that kind of accident
guarantees a nice, big increase in insurance costs.
I hope they ban cell phone use while driving in Ontario very soon.
-Rich
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2005, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!!

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:55:58 -0400, Rich <none@none.com> wrote:

>I was at a gas station that borders a busy intersection
>where I live in Toronto. Idly filling the tank, I looked
>at the adjacent street and watched as a goofball, animatedly
>talking on their cell phone crashed into the back of another
>car. Both were BWMs. Since the driver was approaching a stop,
>the accident was minor, ($2000 or so). But, since the front driver
>was at a dead stop and since the rear driver had plenty of space
>to do the same, it's clear the cell phone lover's mind wasn't on the
>task of driving. I love the disoriented look the driver displayed
>after the accident. I'd be the same since that kind of accident
>guarantees a nice, big increase in insurance costs.
>I hope they ban cell phone use while driving in Ontario very soon.
>-Rich

Want them to ban stereos, too? And drinking a soda or coffee? Or
whatever... I grant you, cell phones are distracting, and such
accident could be avoided, but, I's bet there have been a lot more
accidents caused by smokers dropping a cigarette or hot ash between
their legs or onto the floor; or people leaning over to see the dial
on a stereo. And I wonder how many accidents there have been from guys
checking out the women walking down the street.... Gonna ban all those
activities? Next you'll have to talk to a shrink (at your expense) to
get clearance to get behind the wheel in order to head off road rage,
daydreaming, or whatever. Much as we might like, you can't cover
everything. But, if you are bound and determined... what will you do
when they take away something you naturally do while driving?
Spike
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/d..._11_05_002.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
WindsorFox[SS]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!!

Rich wrote:
> I was at a gas station that borders a busy intersection
> where I live in Toronto. Idly filling the tank, I looked
> at the adjacent street and watched as a goofball, animatedly
> talking on their cell phone crashed into the back of another
> car. Both were BWMs. Since the driver was approaching a stop,
> the accident was minor, ($2000 or so). But, since the front driver
> was at a dead stop and since the rear driver had plenty of space
> to do the same, it's clear the cell phone lover's mind wasn't on the
> task of driving. I love the disoriented look the driver displayed
> after the accident. I'd be the same since that kind of accident
> guarantees a nice, big increase in insurance costs.
> I hope they ban cell phone use while driving in Ontario very soon.
> -Rich



Why should you ban cell phones? Distracted driving is already illegal.

--
You couldn't recognize a "fact" even
if it took a crap on your face. - Michael Johnson, PE
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!!


"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
news:LQC2f.12215$U%5.3873@lakeread05...
> Rich wrote:
> > I was at a gas station that borders a busy intersection
> > where I live in Toronto. Idly filling the tank, I looked
> > at the adjacent street and watched as a goofball, animatedly
> > talking on their cell phone crashed into the back of another
> > car. Both were BWMs. Since the driver was approaching a stop,
> > the accident was minor, ($2000 or so). But, since the front driver
> > was at a dead stop and since the rear driver had plenty of space
> > to do the same, it's clear the cell phone lover's mind wasn't on the
> > task of driving. I love the disoriented look the driver displayed
> > after the accident. I'd be the same since that kind of accident
> > guarantees a nice, big increase in insurance costs.
> > I hope they ban cell phone use while driving in Ontario very soon.
> > -Rich

>
>
> Why should you ban cell phones? Distracted driving is already illegal.
>

The charge is I believe, "driving with undue care and attention".



--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red




  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 20:01   #5 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!!

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:28:28 GMT, "Richard" <r-manders@shaw.ca> wrote:

>
>"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
>news:LQC2f.12215$U%5.3873@lakeread05...
>> Rich wrote:
>> > I was at a gas station that borders a busy intersection
>> > where I live in Toronto. Idly filling the tank, I looked
>> > at the adjacent street and watched as a goofball, animatedly
>> > talking on their cell phone crashed into the back of another
>> > car. Both were BWMs. Since the driver was approaching a stop,
>> > the accident was minor, ($2000 or so). But, since the front driver
>> > was at a dead stop and since the rear driver had plenty of space
>> > to do the same, it's clear the cell phone lover's mind wasn't on the
>> > task of driving. I love the disoriented look the driver displayed
>> > after the accident. I'd be the same since that kind of accident
>> > guarantees a nice, big increase in insurance costs.
>> > I hope they ban cell phone use while driving in Ontario very soon.
>> > -Rich

>>
>>
>> Why should you ban cell phones? Distracted driving is already illegal.
>>

>The charge is I believe, "driving with undue care and attention".

Depends on the jurisdiction. That's it in some. In others it's failure
to maintain control (resulting in...), or inattentive operation (which
also applies when you fail to note the flashing lights in your
rearview mirror).
Spike
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/d..._11_05_002.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:01   #6 (permalink)
wabbitslayer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!!

> And I wonder how many accidents there have been from guys
> checking out the women walking down the street....



I almost rear-ended a guy on Friday b/c of my looking at
a remarkably endowed woman waiting on the corner to cross the street.
I'm just glad I didn't have to come up with a story to tell my wife
about what caused the accident.



Wabbitslayer
01 GT vert


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:01   #7 (permalink)
michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!!

Because like idiots who drive without seat belts, some people are
incable
of being left to their own devices. Unfortunately, everyone pays for
it,
but the evidence that cell phones are the most distracting driver
action
is pretty clear. Listening to a radio or drinking coffee is no where
near as
distracting.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 14:01   #8 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!!

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 07:03:31 -0400, "wabbitslayer"
<wabbitslayer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> And I wonder how many accidents there have been from guys
>> checking out the women walking down the street....

>
>
>I almost rear-ended a guy on Friday b/c of my looking at
>a remarkably endowed woman waiting on the corner to cross the street.
>I'm just glad I didn't have to come up with a story to tell my wife
>about what caused the accident.
>
>
>
>Wabbitslayer
>01 GT vert
>

Don't feel bad.... walking down the street with my grandfather, a fine
looking babe in a belt (sure could not say it was a skirt) walked past
going the other way. Next thing I know my granddad is sprawled over
one of those city wire basket waste receptacles... He looks up as he's
getting to his feet and says, "damn, that was fine!". He could have
been driving. I have no idea what my grandmother might have said if
he'd crashed the car.
Spike
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpg
Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpg
Jul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/d..._11_05_002.jpg
Jul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/E...ebuild_006.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 14:01   #9 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!!

On 12 Oct 2005 10:11:06 -0700, michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca wrote:

>Because like idiots who drive without seat belts, some people are
>incable
>of being left to their own devices. Unfortunately, everyone pays for
>it,
>but the evidence that cell phones are the most distracting driver
>action
>is pretty clear. Listening to a radio or drinking coffee is no where
>near as
>distracting.

I'd have to see to data to back that up.

Anything a driver does, from the stereo, to cell phones, to conversing
with a passenger is distracting. So is flipping off another driver, or
even shooting at them while traveling 65mph. It's not the listening to
the radio, it's the changing stations or picking another CD etc. It's
not so much the drinking of the coffee as it is the disruption of the
view of the road. Or the smoke fumbling with the pack, and the
lighter, and the ash tray.

Aside from dialing, what extra is there about using a cell phone,
which does not occur when a driver is conversing with a passenger,
multi-tasking the day ahead, smoking a cigarette, drinking a cup of
coffee, while trying to read the road signs, watch for cops, and all
the rest, at 65mph? Even with a hands free unit, it's essentially the
same as conversing with a passenger. I'm not promoting cell phone use.
Personally, with text messaging, and lists of missed calls, a driver
can wait to a more opportune time... like stop at a truck stop and
have a cup of coffee while catching up on calls. As for dialing, if
it's necessary, most phones have speed dialing.


Spike
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpg
Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpg
Jul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/d..._11_05_002.jpg
Jul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/E...ebuild_006.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 18:01   #10 (permalink)
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: CELL PHONE CRASH SEEN!!!

Spike <jma@snowcrest.net> wrote in
news:6urqk1h7dnt52e7oljmm9gjkg4jpo16252@4ax.com:

> On 12 Oct 2005 10:11:06 -0700, michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca wrote:
>
>>Because like idiots who drive without seat belts, some people are
>>incable
>>of being left to their own devices. Unfortunately, everyone pays for
>>it,
>>but the evidence that cell phones are the most distracting driver
>>action
>>is pretty clear. Listening to a radio or drinking coffee is no where
>>near as
>>distracting.

> I'd have to see to data to back that up.
>
> Anything a driver does, from the stereo, to cell phones, to

conversing
> with a passenger is distracting. So is flipping off another driver,

or
> even shooting at them while traveling 65mph. It's not the listening

to
> the radio, it's the changing stations or picking another CD etc. It's
> not so much the drinking of the coffee as it is the disruption of the
> view of the road. Or the smoke fumbling with the pack, and the
> lighter, and the ash tray.
>
> Aside from dialing, what extra is there about using a cell phone,
> which does not occur when a driver is conversing with a passenger,
> multi-tasking the day ahead, smoking a cigarette, drinking a cup of
> coffee, while trying to read the road signs, watch for cops, and all
> the rest, at 65mph? Even with a hands free unit, it's essentially the
> same as conversing with a passenger. I'm not promoting cell phone

use.
> Personally, with text messaging, and lists of missed calls, a driver
> can wait to a more opportune time... like stop at a truck stop and
> have a cup of coffee while catching up on calls. As for dialing, if
> it's necessary, most phones have speed dialing.
>
>
> Spike
> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
> 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
> 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
> Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpg
> Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpg
> Jul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_

002.jpg
> Jul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/E...ebuild_006.jpg


I'd have to disagree to a point. In my experience using a phone while
driving is much more distracting then listening to the radio. I think
it's because when I'm on the phone (as opposed to talking to a
passenger), I'm thinking more about the person I'm talking to because I
can't see them. It's like when I'm home or at work, I'm concentrating
on visualizing the conversation instead of concentrating on driving.
Therein lies the danger, at least for me.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.