Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2005, 12:01   #1 (permalink)
trotzo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?

I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying
in the fact that I can't find it. There are no puddles, drips or signs
of any leaks but yet I hafta add coolant about once a week. I can smell
coolant with the engine running but don't see anything even remotely
wet. I did some research and have come up with the manifold cracking
probs others have had and I'm wondering what the symptoms are. The car
seems to run fine, no probs with perfomance at all. When the manifold
cracks, it it catastrophic engine failure or does your coolant just
slowly "dissapear"? I did notice some white smoke coming from the
tailpipes the other day and since we're still a few months from colder
weather I know it wasn't the ambient temps. Please help, car is still
under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from.
Thanx in advance,
Trotzo

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-05-2005, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
PocoLoco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?

On 5 Sep 2005 11:06:52 -0700, "trotzo" <trotzo@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying
>in the fact that I can't find it. There are no puddles, drips or signs
>of any leaks but yet I hafta add coolant about once a week. I can smell
>coolant with the engine running but don't see anything even remotely
>wet. I did some research and have come up with the manifold cracking
>probs others have had and I'm wondering what the symptoms are. The car
>seems to run fine, no probs with perfomance at all. When the manifold
>cracks, it it catastrophic engine failure or does your coolant just
>slowly "dissapear"? I did notice some white smoke coming from the
>tailpipes the other day and since we're still a few months from colder
>weather I know it wasn't the ambient temps. Please help, car is still
>under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from.
>Thanx in advance,
>Trotzo


I had an MGB with a cracked cylinder head gasket. Water was leaking into the
cyclinders and would come out the exhaust. When running, I could hold my hand
over the exhaust and my palm would come away wet, with water.

That's just for what it's worth.
--
John H

"All decisions are the result of binary thinking."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
trotzo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?

That's another thing that has me puzzled.....
Sometimes I can see something dripping from inside the drivers side
muffler, usually on first startup, even when it hasn't been raining.
It's not antifreeze (at least it isn't geen) and there's usually enough
to make a decent sized puddle.
WTF????

PocoLoco wrote:
> On 5 Sep 2005 11:06:52 -0700, "trotzo" <trotzo@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying
> >in the fact that I can't find it. There are no puddles, drips or signs
> >of any leaks but yet I hafta add coolant about once a week. I can smell
> >coolant with the engine running but don't see anything even remotely
> >wet. I did some research and have come up with the manifold cracking
> >probs others have had and I'm wondering what the symptoms are. The car
> >seems to run fine, no probs with perfomance at all. When the manifold
> >cracks, it it catastrophic engine failure or does your coolant just
> >slowly "dissapear"? I did notice some white smoke coming from the
> >tailpipes the other day and since we're still a few months from colder
> >weather I know it wasn't the ambient temps. Please help, car is still
> >under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from.
> >Thanx in advance,
> >Trotzo

>
> I had an MGB with a cracked cylinder head gasket. Water was leaking into the
> cyclinders and would come out the exhaust. When running, I could hold my hand
> over the exhaust and my palm would come away wet, with water.
>
> That's just for what it's worth.
> --
> John H
>
> "All decisions are the result of binary thinking."


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 15:01   #4 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?




"trotzo" <trotzo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1125952019.900694.223600@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> That's another thing that has me puzzled.....
> Sometimes I can see something dripping from inside the drivers side
> muffler, usually on first startup, even when it hasn't been raining.
> It's not antifreeze (at least it isn't geen) and there's usually enough
> to make a decent sized puddle.
> WTF????
>

Condensation?

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
Kruse
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?


trotzo wrote:
> I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying
> in the fact that I can't find it. Please help, car is still
> under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from.
> Thanx in advance,
> Trotzo


<snippage>
Sounds like you have the infamous intake manifold leak. Some of these
cars were recalled because of it. Some of them were not. There are
replacements that are reinforced to fix this problem. They are
available from the dealer and the aftermarket. Both will fix this
problem, it's your choice, but you better get this fixed. Didja buy
your car from a used car place? Good luck getting this fixed under any
"used car place" warranty. Dorman is one of the aftermarket
manufacturers.
Also, the puddle from the muffler area is common condensation. Most all
Ford cars have it and it's nothing to worry about.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
trotzo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?

I know.....
The day I got the car they swore the brakes were done, and didn't they
start grinding a week later? Rear rotors were shot as well. Made them
change the brakes, rotors, and coolant (had the "rumble strip"
shudder).
Boy, are they gonna be happy when I call 'em tomorrow and tell 'em I
need a new intake manifold =)
I already had them look into it for the coolant leak, the mechanic (or
moron, u pick it) told me "should be fine, I tightened the clamps for
ya"

> trotzo wrote:
> > I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying
> > in the fact that I can't find it. Please help, car is still
> > under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from.
> > Thanx in advance,
> > Trotzo

>
> <snippage>
> Sounds like you have the infamous intake manifold leak. Some of these
> cars were recalled because of it. Some of them were not. There are
> replacements that are reinforced to fix this problem. They are
> available from the dealer and the aftermarket. Both will fix this
> problem, it's your choice, but you better get this fixed. Didja buy
> your car from a used car place? Good luck getting this fixed under any
> "used car place" warranty. Dorman is one of the aftermarket
> manufacturers.
> Also, the puddle from the muffler area is common condensation. Most all
> Ford cars have it and it's nothing to worry about.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Brent P
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?

In article <1125943612.619010.21820@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, trotzo wrote:
> I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying
> in the fact that I can't find it. There are no puddles, drips or signs
> of any leaks but yet I hafta add coolant about once a week. I can smell
> coolant with the engine running but don't see anything even remotely
> wet. I did some research and have come up with the manifold cracking
> probs others have had and I'm wondering what the symptoms are. The car
> seems to run fine, no probs with perfomance at all. When the manifold
> cracks, it it catastrophic engine failure or does your coolant just
> slowly "dissapear"? I did notice some white smoke coming from the
> tailpipes the other day and since we're still a few months from colder
> weather I know it wasn't the ambient temps. Please help, car is still
> under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from.


Before my '97 had the intake manifold water passage go, and it did fail
in a castrophic manner there wasnt enough coolant loss to be concerned
about. Just what one would expect over long periods of time.

Look in the valley between the cylinders and at the manifold underneath
behind the alternator.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Related Reading: Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:34.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.