Coolant Smell : 2000 GT Rad, Coolant tank, or Intake. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 22:01   #1 (permalink)
Blix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Coolant Smell : 2000 GT Rad, Coolant tank, or Intake.


I have a strong coolant smell from the 4.6 in my '00 GT.

How can I tell if the plastic Intake is the problem, or the
radiator ? I already have a new Coolant recovery tank on order
since the coolant level sensor went out.

Is there a place on the plastic intake that it usually cracks?

Is there an Aluminum replacement intake manifold that's a drop-in ?

I don't think is the water pump.

TIA

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-09-2005, 09:01   #2 (permalink)
Gill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Smell : 2000 GT Rad, Coolant tank, or Intake.

Blix wrote:
>
> I have a strong coolant smell from the 4.6 in my '00 GT.
>
> How can I tell if the plastic Intake is the problem, or the
> radiator ? I already have a new Coolant recovery tank on order
> since the coolant level sensor went out.
>
> Is there a place on the plastic intake that it usually cracks?
>
> Is there an Aluminum replacement intake manifold that's a drop-in ?
>
> I don't think is the water pump.
>
> TIA
>

Pull the carpet down from the front of the passenger floorboard.
Pray it's not wet.

--
Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT
With Bits and Pieces
http://tinyurl.com/3w3sv
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
Blix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Smell : 2000 GT Rad, Coolant tank, or Intake.


It seems to be coming from the front of the engine compartment.
I looked behind the Alternator and didn't see any coolant.

Are these overflow jugs known to crack ? I know the old SHOs
were known to have poor quality overflow jugs.


Gill wrote:
> Blix wrote:
>
>>
>> I have a strong coolant smell from the 4.6 in my '00 GT.
>>
>> How can I tell if the plastic Intake is the problem, or the
>> radiator ? I already have a new Coolant recovery tank on order
>> since the coolant level sensor went out.
>>
>> Is there a place on the plastic intake that it usually cracks?
>>
>> Is there an Aluminum replacement intake manifold that's a drop-in ?
>>
>> I don't think is the water pump.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Pull the carpet down from the front of the passenger floorboard.
> Pray it's not wet.
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Joey Pankiw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Smell : 2000 GT Rad, Coolant tank, or Intake.

Pull the sparg plugs and check for coolant, if there is its the manifold

"Blix" <xxx.xxx@xxx.net> wrote in message
news:CdWdnY9lE8mB6-zeRVn-qw@comcast.com...
>
> I have a strong coolant smell from the 4.6 in my '00 GT.
>
> How can I tell if the plastic Intake is the problem, or the
> radiator ? I already have a new Coolant recovery tank on order
> since the coolant level sensor went out.
>
> Is there a place on the plastic intake that it usually cracks?
>
> Is there an Aluminum replacement intake manifold that's a drop-in ?
>
> I don't think is the water pump.
>
> TIA
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Blix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Smell : 2000 GT Rad, Coolant tank, or Intake.


Well,
Now I see liquid in the 'Lifter Valley' behind the Alternator.
So, I think it's Intake Manifold Time.

I see there are something called 'PI' (Performance Improvement)
heads. Would a stock 2000 GT have these heads ? Is the only intake
available the Ford intake ? I looked on Edelbrocks website and found
nothing I could use.

Bill




Joey Pankiw wrote:
> Pull the sparg plugs and check for coolant, if there is its the manifold
>
> "Blix" <xxx.xxx@xxx.net> wrote in message
> news:CdWdnY9lE8mB6-zeRVn-qw@comcast.com...
>
>>I have a strong coolant smell from the 4.6 in my '00 GT.
>>
>>How can I tell if the plastic Intake is the problem, or the
>>radiator ? I already have a new Coolant recovery tank on order
>>since the coolant level sensor went out.
>>
>>Is there a place on the plastic intake that it usually cracks?
>>
>>Is there an Aluminum replacement intake manifold that's a drop-in ?
>>
>>I don't think is the water pump.
>>
>>TIA
>>

>
>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:01   #6 (permalink)
Gill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Smell : 2000 GT Rad, Coolant tank, or Intake.

Blix wrote:
>
> Well,
> Now I see liquid in the 'Lifter Valley' behind the Alternator.
> So, I think it's Intake Manifold Time.
>
> I see there are something called 'PI' (Performance Improvement)
> heads. Would a stock 2000 GT have these heads ? Is the only intake
> available the Ford intake ? I looked on Edelbrocks website and found
> nothing I could use.
>
> Bill

The Bullitt aluminium manifold from Ford will give you some performance.
Did you know there is a reimbursement from Ford on the cracked manifolds?
http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/leg...ree.18jn05.htm


--
Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT
With Bits and Pieces
http://tinyurl.com/3w3sv
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 20:01   #7 (permalink)
Blix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Smell : 2000 GT Rad, Coolant tank, or Intake.



I thought that they had fixed the cracking for the '00 models...
Guess it's good I was wrong. I'm heading off to my local Perf. Ford
fix-it shop tomorrow... Doug (Lewis) should be able to set me straight.

Thanks for the Help Guys!

Blix.

Gill wrote:
> Blix wrote:
>
>>
>> Well,
>> Now I see liquid in the 'Lifter Valley' behind the Alternator.
>> So, I think it's Intake Manifold Time.
>>
>> I see there are something called 'PI' (Performance Improvement)
>> heads. Would a stock 2000 GT have these heads ? Is the only intake
>> available the Ford intake ? I looked on Edelbrocks website and found
>> nothing I could use.
>>
>> Bill

>
> The Bullitt aluminium manifold from Ford will give you some performance.
> Did you know there is a reimbursement from Ford on the cracked manifolds?
> http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/leg...ree.18jn05.htm
>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:01   #8 (permalink)
Jim Moore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coolant Smell : 2000 GT Rad, Coolant tank, or Intake.

"Gill" <gills@comcast.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:vKOdnVBlr72aM-XeRVn-rQ@comcast.com...
> Blix wrote:
>>
>> Well,
>> Now I see liquid in the 'Lifter Valley' behind the Alternator.
>> So, I think it's Intake Manifold Time.

....
> Did you know there is a reimbursement from Ford on the cracked
> manifolds?
> http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/leg...ree.18jn05.htm
> ...


My 1999 GT is currently in the shop with this problem.

I called the 1-888-826-3047 number furnished by
http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/leg...ke.26aug05.htm,
and, as I understand it, at this time there is a pending appeal
regarding this lawsuit and so customers must still pay for this repair.
The reimbursement couldn't be claimed until after the appeal is settled
and then it must be claimed within 90 days. Is that correct?

Does anyone have any additional advice?



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.