fan clutch woes? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 23:01   #1 (permalink)
stumpt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
fan clutch woes?

I have a cooling problem which (seems to have) started with a busted
bypass hose on my 87gt 5 liter. I replaced the hose, refilled coolant
and still had the problem so I replaced the thermostat.

The problem continued, and since it only seems to occur under a load,
I replaced the fan clutch. The fan would easily spin by hand after I
shut the car off right before it was about to overheat. The new fan
clutch does the same exact thing! According to what I've read in
postings from this group, is that not supposed to happen?

Thanks for your help!
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-05-2005, 01:01   #2 (permalink)
Big Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fan clutch woes?


"stumpt" <stumpt@problem.com> wrote in message
news:c97j719lutv22l1i7m0iuo85gh82naub25@4ax.com...
>I have a cooling problem which (seems to have) started with a busted
> bypass hose on my 87gt 5 liter. I replaced the hose, refilled coolant
> and still had the problem so I replaced the thermostat.
>
> The problem continued, and since it only seems to occur under a load,
> I replaced the fan clutch. The fan would easily spin by hand after I
> shut the car off right before it was about to overheat. The new fan
> clutch does the same exact thing! According to what I've read in
> postings from this group, is that not supposed to happen?
>
> Thanks for your help!


The clutch fan relies on a hot radiator to lock up. If the engine is
overheating and the radiator is not hot you have different problems. I would
suspect the thermostat, but you say you changed it. Drive it so it gets hot
and go feel how hot the air is coming out of the radiator. 200 degree air is
very hot:)

Al


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
stumpt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fan clutch woes?

On Wed, 4 May 2005 23:10:35 -0700, "Big Al" <nospamsal1@qwest.net>
wrote:

>
>"stumpt" <stumpt@problem.com> wrote in message
>news:c97j719lutv22l1i7m0iuo85gh82naub25@4ax.com...
>>I have a cooling problem which (seems to have) started with a busted
>> bypass hose on my 87gt 5 liter. I replaced the hose, refilled coolant
>> and still had the problem so I replaced the thermostat.
>>
>> The problem continued, and since it only seems to occur under a load,
>> I replaced the fan clutch. The fan would easily spin by hand after I
>> shut the car off right before it was about to overheat. The new fan
>> clutch does the same exact thing! According to what I've read in
>> postings from this group, is that not supposed to happen?
>>
>> Thanks for your help!

>
>The clutch fan relies on a hot radiator to lock up. If the engine is
>overheating and the radiator is not hot you have different problems. I would
>suspect the thermostat, but you say you changed it. Drive it so it gets hot
>and go feel how hot the air is coming out of the radiator. 200 degree air is
>very hot:)
>
>Al



Thanks for responding, Al. I thought the very same thing right after
I posted. It seems you are correct, the radiator isnt really getting
THAT hot, and the coolant in the overflow is almost to the top, it
isnt going into the radiator.

I've bought the following hoses to install, but I'm considering doing
the water pump anyway: lower radiator hose (I think it's original) and
the hose that goes from the overflow to the radiator filler (should
there be a hose clamp for this hose?)

Thanks for your time.
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
sanfordm44356@syahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fan clutch woes?

On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:43:26 GMT, stumpt <stumpt@problem.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 4 May 2005 23:10:35 -0700, "Big Al" <nospamsal1@qwest.net>
>wrote:
>
>>
>>"stumpt" <stumpt@problem.com> wrote in message
>>news:c97j719lutv22l1i7m0iuo85gh82naub25@4ax.com...
>>>I have a cooling problem which (seems to have) started with a busted
>>> bypass hose on my 87gt 5 liter. I replaced the hose, refilled coolant
>>> and still had the problem so I replaced the thermostat.
>>>
>>> The problem continued, and since it only seems to occur under a load,
>>> I replaced the fan clutch. The fan would easily spin by hand after I
>>> shut the car off right before it was about to overheat. The new fan
>>> clutch does the same exact thing! According to what I've read in
>>> postings from this group, is that not supposed to happen?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help!

>>
>>The clutch fan relies on a hot radiator to lock up. If the engine is
>>overheating and the radiator is not hot you have different problems. I would
>>suspect the thermostat, but you say you changed it. Drive it so it gets hot
>>and go feel how hot the air is coming out of the radiator. 200 degree air is
>>very hot:)
>>
>>Al

>
>
>Thanks for responding, Al. I thought the very same thing right after
>I posted. It seems you are correct, the radiator isnt really getting
>THAT hot, and the coolant in the overflow is almost to the top, it
>isnt going into the radiator.
>
>I've bought the following hoses to install, but I'm considering doing
>the water pump anyway: lower radiator hose (I think it's original) and
>the hose that goes from the overflow to the radiator filler (should
>there be a hose clamp for this hose?)
>
>Thanks for your time.
>>

hey retard
t stats can be ****ed rite from the pakage
one day i used 7...defective batch
u prolly have an air lock you tard
thats why i use a vacume filler

hurc ast

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 19:05   #5 (permalink)
stumpt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fan clutch woes?

Okay check this out...

I removed the coolant overflow and changed the hose. The hose was
caked up with 3 inches of crud. I also cleaned up the radiator cap.

I let the engine warm up with cap off and verified that thermostat was
open. Put the radiator cap back on and it wouldnt go above the 2nd
mark on the temperature guage. Then I drove it for 25 minutes, and it
wouldn't go above the 3rd line no matter what.

There's wiring that goes to the top of the overflow bottle, could
moving it have something to do with this? Was it just a gunked up
radiator cap? Did I remove the 'airlock' you mention by letting it
heat up first with the cap off? Did my hose initially burst because
the cap wasnt venting properly?




On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:56:56 GMT, sanfordm44356@syahoo.com wrote:

>On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:43:26 GMT, stumpt <stumpt@problem.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 4 May 2005 23:10:35 -0700, "Big Al" <nospamsal1@qwest.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"stumpt" <stumpt@problem.com> wrote in message
>>>news:c97j719lutv22l1i7m0iuo85gh82naub25@4ax.com...
>>>>I have a cooling problem which (seems to have) started with a busted
>>>> bypass hose on my 87gt 5 liter. I replaced the hose, refilled coolant
>>>> and still had the problem so I replaced the thermostat.
>>>>
>>>> The problem continued, and since it only seems to occur under a load,
>>>> I replaced the fan clutch. The fan would easily spin by hand after I
>>>> shut the car off right before it was about to overheat. The new fan
>>>> clutch does the same exact thing! According to what I've read in
>>>> postings from this group, is that not supposed to happen?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for your help!
>>>
>>>The clutch fan relies on a hot radiator to lock up. If the engine is
>>>overheating and the radiator is not hot you have different problems. I would
>>>suspect the thermostat, but you say you changed it. Drive it so it gets hot
>>>and go feel how hot the air is coming out of the radiator. 200 degree air is
>>>very hot:)
>>>
>>>Al

>>
>>
>>Thanks for responding, Al. I thought the very same thing right after
>>I posted. It seems you are correct, the radiator isnt really getting
>>THAT hot, and the coolant in the overflow is almost to the top, it
>>isnt going into the radiator.
>>
>>I've bought the following hoses to install, but I'm considering doing
>>the water pump anyway: lower radiator hose (I think it's original) and
>>the hose that goes from the overflow to the radiator filler (should
>>there be a hose clamp for this hose?)
>>
>>Thanks for your time.
>>>

>hey retard
>t stats can be ****ed rite from the pakage
>one day i used 7...defective batch
>u prolly have an air lock you tard
>thats why i use a vacume filler
>
>hurc ast


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 19:05   #6 (permalink)
Big Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fan clutch woes?


"stumpt" <stumpt@problem.com> wrote in message
news:locl71tj62k6milpo3cl8pdtk9j6v6au3h@4ax.com...
> Okay check this out...
>
> I removed the coolant overflow and changed the hose. The hose was
> caked up with 3 inches of crud. I also cleaned up the radiator cap.
>


Now is the time to flush the system and find out what made the crud. Was it
brown? You may have a bad head gasket.

Al


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:01   #7 (permalink)
stumpt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fan clutch woes?

The crud was like a dark grey, reminiscent of the alumaseal I put in a
long time ago; it was flushed a year ago



On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:10:35 -0700, "Big Al" <nospamsal1@qwest.net>
wrote:

>
>"stumpt" <stumpt@problem.com> wrote in message
>news:locl71tj62k6milpo3cl8pdtk9j6v6au3h@4ax.com...
>> Okay check this out...
>>
>> I removed the coolant overflow and changed the hose. The hose was
>> caked up with 3 inches of crud. I also cleaned up the radiator cap.
>>

>
>Now is the time to flush the system and find out what made the crud. Was it
>brown? You may have a bad head gasket.
>
>Al
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:01   #8 (permalink)
Michael Johnson, PE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fan clutch woes?

A few years ago I had a similar problem with my '89 LX. Over time scale
precipitates out of the water and deposits at the low points in the
cooling system. I found the same crud in the overflow reservoir and the
bottom of the radiator. Flushing never fully eliminated the problem and
I ended up buying a new radiator. The real test will be when you run
the air conditioner on a hot summer day. If it doesn't over heat at
that point then you likely solved the problem.

You might have several of the cross cooling lines clogged with deposits
which in turn doesn't let the fan clutch "see" enough heat to cause it
to engage the fan properly. The best way to know if you have a problem
is to find a garage that has a laser temperature gun and have them check
the temperature of the radiator at different spots. If it shows there
are cool and hot spots then you need to either have it cleaned or
install a new one.

stumpt wrote:
> The crud was like a dark grey, reminiscent of the alumaseal I put in a
> long time ago; it was flushed a year ago
>
>
>
> On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:10:35 -0700, "Big Al" <nospamsal1@qwest.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>>"stumpt" <stumpt@problem.com> wrote in message
>>news:locl71tj62k6milpo3cl8pdtk9j6v6au3h@4ax.com...
>>
>>>Okay check this out...
>>>
>>>I removed the coolant overflow and changed the hose. The hose was
>>>caked up with 3 inches of crud. I also cleaned up the radiator cap.
>>>

>>
>>Now is the time to flush the system and find out what made the crud. Was it
>>brown? You may have a bad head gasket.
>>
>>Al
>>

>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 23:01   #9 (permalink)
cprice@here.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fan clutch woes?


I hate to agree with the smacktard, but the first thing I thought was
that there was an airlock in the system. Air pockets can be a bitch to
get out if you dont have a vacuum filler.


sanfordm44356@syahoo.com wrote:

> On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:43:26 GMT, stumpt <stumpt@problem.com> wrote:
>
>
>>On Wed, 4 May 2005 23:10:35 -0700, "Big Al" <nospamsal1@qwest.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>
>>>"stumpt" <stumpt@problem.com> wrote in message
>>>news:c97j719lutv22l1i7m0iuo85gh82naub25@4ax.com...
>>>
>>>>I have a cooling problem which (seems to have) started with a busted
>>>>bypass hose on my 87gt 5 liter. I replaced the hose, refilled coolant
>>>>and still had the problem so I replaced the thermostat.
>>>>
>>>>The problem continued, and since it only seems to occur under a load,
>>>>I replaced the fan clutch. The fan would easily spin by hand after I
>>>>shut the car off right before it was about to overheat. The new fan
>>>>clutch does the same exact thing! According to what I've read in
>>>>postings from this group, is that not supposed to happen?
>>>>
>>>>Thanks for your help!
>>>
>>>The clutch fan relies on a hot radiator to lock up. If the engine is
>>>overheating and the radiator is not hot you have different problems. I would
>>>suspect the thermostat, but you say you changed it. Drive it so it gets hot
>>>and go feel how hot the air is coming out of the radiator. 200 degree air is
>>>very hot:)
>>>
>>>Al

>>
>>
>>Thanks for responding, Al. I thought the very same thing right after
>>I posted. It seems you are correct, the radiator isnt really getting
>>THAT hot, and the coolant in the overflow is almost to the top, it
>>isnt going into the radiator.
>>
>>I've bought the following hoses to install, but I'm considering doing
>>the water pump anyway: lower radiator hose (I think it's original) and
>>the hose that goes from the overflow to the radiator filler (should
>>there be a hose clamp for this hose?)
>>
>>Thanks for your time.
>>

> hey retard
> t stats can be ****ed rite from the pakage
> one day i used 7...defective batch
> u prolly have an air lock you tard
> thats why i use a vacume filler
>
> hurc ast
>

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:43.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.