Follow Up on Stripe - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 01:18   #1 (permalink)
Adrian Gruber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Follow Up on Stripe

I went to my local Ford Dealer yesterday to see if there are any products
available to bring the stripe back to life.
The parts manager told me the stripe on the hood is a genuine Ford part but
it can't be restored due to the mettalic nature of the stripe. All I could
do is peel it off and put a new one on. (Not Deirable) The other option he
suggestet was to go to a body shop and have them gently sand it with
microfine sand paper then clear coat it.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2005, 01:18   #2 (permalink)
John H
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Follow Up on Stripe

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:31:31 GMT, "Adrian Gruber" <ggruber@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>I went to my local Ford Dealer yesterday to see if there are any products
>available to bring the stripe back to life.
>The parts manager told me the stripe on the hood is a genuine Ford part but
>it can't be restored due to the mettalic nature of the stripe. All I could
>do is peel it off and put a new one on. (Not Deirable) The other option he
>suggestet was to go to a body shop and have them gently sand it with
>microfine sand paper then clear coat it.
>


I'm not very knowledgeable in the area, so if this is really a stupid question,
please give me some slack.

Why not peel the old one off and replace with a new one?


John H

"All decisions are the result of binary thinking."
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19   #3 (permalink)
66 6F HCS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Follow Up on Stripe


"John H" <notavailable@here.com> wrote
> Why not peel the old one off and replace with a new one?


Think of what happens to duct tape after it's been attached to something for
longer than 1 month in the heat and rain and sun and cold and wind. Then
think about trying to remove it???? Yechh. Well removing original stripes is
worse, and they've been on there for YEARS!
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19   #4 (permalink)
SVTKate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Follow Up on Stripe

Adrian,
I think that you could remove the old sripes and replace them. - or not.
Your car is only 2-3 years old so I think there is a possibility.
You never said how big the stripes are on the car.

Here's what I would suggest.
First, check locally for someone who does vinyl stripes. If you cannot find
them in the yellow pages, check some body shops and see who they use. If you
find someone then ask them if they could take the stripes off for you.

If by some chance you were feeling brave I think that you could remove them
yourself.
A heat gun should soften them enough, (using care not to blister your paint
the heat gun by using the low setting and just warming the stripe well but
not melting it) would refresh the adhesive enough to make the stripe
removable. If the heat gun scares you, then a blow dryer on high would
definitely be safer. You can get a bit loose with a fingernail, then heat
just as you pull. It will be a pain in the ass, but it should come off. If
the stripe goes onto urethane bumpers and such, it may be a problem.

Once you got the vinyl off you could use good old fashioned lighter fluid on
a coarse terry cloth towell to remove the adhesive. Of course DO NOT USE
BOTH AT ONCE or it would catch fire and burn you and your car to the ground.
The lighter fluid will not hurt your paint at all and is less expensive than
goo-gone and that sort of thing. Sometimes if you can just get a little
piece started, you can jst drip lighter fluid onto the underside of the
peeled edge so that it contacts the adhesive and it will pull up. Slowly,
and you have to find that balance of drip it on, let it soak a few seconds
and then pull and repeat. It's a slow process but it works. Practice on
labels you have on items in your home, the label on your cigarett lighter,
the price tag on the bottom of that vase.. anything with a hard surface.
Wal Mart has lighter fluid pretty cheap in larger containers.

Then follow up with a good wash, polish and wax.

If it were my car, I would take a shot. But then, it wouldn't be MY first
rodeo.

Would love to see a photo or two of the stripes you are addressing.

Kate


"Adrian Gruber" <ggruber@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:nzjXd.132309$qB6.27001@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
|I went to my local Ford Dealer yesterday to see if there are any products
| available to bring the stripe back to life.
| The parts manager told me the stripe on the hood is a genuine Ford part
but
| it can't be restored due to the mettalic nature of the stripe. All I could
| do is peel it off and put a new one on. (Not Deirable) The other option he
| suggestet was to go to a body shop and have them gently sand it with
| microfine sand paper then clear coat it.
|
|


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19   #5 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Follow Up on Stripe

Just an aside.... but have you checked to see if there is any kind of
Ford alert to dealers regarding the stripes? Often, the company sends
out a notice to dealers that it has discovered a problem with "X"
(like the buckle on my GM seatbelts was one due to the plastic
cracking). The dealer does nothing unless a customer comes in and
complains enough. My seatbelt buckles were replaced by the dealer at
GMs expense. If there had been no cracking, there was no requirement
for the dealer to take any action at all. Someone here may have a link
to Ford's alert notices so you can research the problem and see if it
is covered. By the way, the seatbelts were covered LONG after the
warrantee on the car had expired.

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:31:31 GMT, "Adrian Gruber" <ggruber@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

>I went to my local Ford Dealer yesterday to see if there are any products
>available to bring the stripe back to life.
>The parts manager told me the stripe on the hood is a genuine Ford part but
>it can't be restored due to the mettalic nature of the stripe. All I could
>do is peel it off and put a new one on. (Not Deirable) The other option he
>suggestet was to go to a body shop and have them gently sand it with
>microfine sand paper then clear coat it.
>


Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19   #6 (permalink)
Adrian Gruber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Follow Up on Stripe

>
> I'm not very knowledgeable in the area, so if this is really a stupid
> question,
> please give me some slack.
>
> Why not peel the old one off and replace with a new one?
>
>
> John H

The problem will be the clear coat on the hood. More than likely once i peel
off the old decal I'll wind up having to repaint the hoos.


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19   #7 (permalink)
Adrian Gruber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Follow Up on Stripe

> I think that you could remove the old sripes and replace them. - or not.
> Your car is only 2-3 years old so I think there is a possibility.
> You never said how big the stripes are on the car.


Kate, these stripes are big! (Think 302 BOSS!)

> If by some chance you were feeling brave I think that you could remove
> them
> yourself.

How about MAYO??

> A heat gun should soften them enough, (using care not to blister your
> paint
> the heat gun by using the low setting and just warming the stripe well but
> not melting it) would refresh the adhesive enough to make the stripe
> removable. If the heat gun scares you, then a blow dryer on high would
> definitely be safer. You can get a bit loose with a fingernail, then heat
> just as you pull. It will be a pain in the ass, but it should come off. If
> the stripe goes onto urethane bumpers and such, it may be a problem.


No just on top of the hood.
> Wal Mart has lighter fluid pretty cheap in larger containers.

No, I'll stay away fronm the lighter fluid for now.
> Then follow up with a good wash, polish and wax.
>
> If it were my car, I would take a shot. But then, it wouldn't be MY first
> rodeo.
>
> Would love to see a photo or two of the stripes you are addressing.
>
> Kate

Send me your email and I'll mail you my photos.

> "Adrian Gruber" <ggruber@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:nzjXd.132309$qB6.27001@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> |I went to my local Ford Dealer yesterday to see if there are any products
> | available to bring the stripe back to life.
> | The parts manager told me the stripe on the hood is a genuine Ford part
> but
> | it can't be restored due to the mettalic nature of the stripe. All I
> could
> | do is peel it off and put a new one on. (Not Deirable) The other option
> he
> | suggestet was to go to a body shop and have them gently sand it with
> | microfine sand paper then clear coat it.
> |
> |
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19   #8 (permalink)
Adrian Gruber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Follow Up on Stripe


"Spike" <jma@snowcrest.net> wrote in message
news:bpou215o8nno98quk3f4vhq1kitm6gvku5@4ax.com...
> Just an aside.... but have you checked to see if there is any kind of
> Ford alert to dealers regarding the stripes? Often, the company sends
> out a notice to dealers that it has discovered a problem with "X"
> (like the buckle on my GM seatbelts was one due to the plastic
> cracking). The dealer does nothing unless a customer comes in and
> complains enough. My seatbelt buckles were replaced by the dealer at
> GMs expense. If there had been no cracking, there was no requirement
> for the dealer to take any action at all. Someone here may have a link
> to Ford's alert notices so you can research the problem and see if it
> is covered. By the way, the seatbelts were covered LONG after the
> warrantee on the car had expired.

No luck there, just some sympathy..


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19   #9 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Follow Up on Stripe

Unless they make 'em outta totally different stuff today, I'd pick a
small area that's less noticeable and try one of the means already
recommended like ultra fine rubbing compound (even toothpaste) to
remove the oxidation and then some vinyl polish to put a protective
coat on. If it works in the small area... go for the gusto.

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:31:31 GMT, "Adrian Gruber" <ggruber@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

>I went to my local Ford Dealer yesterday to see if there are any products
>available to bring the stripe back to life.
>The parts manager told me the stripe on the hood is a genuine Ford part but
>it can't be restored due to the mettalic nature of the stripe. All I could
>do is peel it off and put a new one on. (Not Deirable) The other option he
>suggestet was to go to a body shop and have them gently sand it with
>microfine sand paper then clear coat it.
>


Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19   #10 (permalink)
SVTKate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Follow Up on Stripe

My experience with metallic and even plain vinyl stripes that go bad is that
you cannot condidion them back to life.
I have tried many different approaches and once the finish is gone, it's a
done deal.
The best thing I ever found for a temporary dress up was good old fashioned
Pledge and lots of it. but it was short lived.

Now, they may ahve come out with something new in recent years.


"Spike" <jma@snowcrest.net> wrote in message
news:7bdv219m2oj54etvokbifikvdq3r4hinfu@4ax.com...
| Unless they make 'em outta totally different stuff today, I'd pick a
| small area that's less noticeable and try one of the means already
| recommended like ultra fine rubbing compound (even toothpaste) to
| remove the oxidation and then some vinyl polish to put a protective
| coat on. If it works in the small area... go for the gusto.
|
| On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:31:31 GMT, "Adrian Gruber" <ggruber@cfl.rr.com>
| wrote:
|
| >I went to my local Ford Dealer yesterday to see if there are any products
| >available to bring the stripe back to life.
| >The parts manager told me the stripe on the hood is a genuine Ford part
but
| >it can't be restored due to the mettalic nature of the stripe. All I
could
| >do is peel it off and put a new one on. (Not Deirable) The other option
he
| >suggestet was to go to a body shop and have them gently sand it with
| >microfine sand paper then clear coat it.
| >
|
| Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
| 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
| Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
| Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
| w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(SYD) Daylight to Donuts Cruise: Saturday 11th September JR On the Road in Australia 20 09-13-2004 00:10
US:Two-seater may follow Ford GT; automaker eyes 'Viper fighter' for 2007 Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 0 08-03-2004 09:30
(Sydney) Galston Gorge / Bobbin Head / Northern Beaches Cruise - Saturday, 1st May JR On the Road in Australia 22 05-02-2004 04:22
Rejuvinating (or even removing!) racing stripe on XR6 dcliff1 General Tech 15 06-09-2003 07:32
XR stripe removal XR8NZ General Tech 0 01-27-2003 19:11

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:44.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.