Ford Motor Shifts Gears? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 20:01   #1 (permalink)
NoOption5L@aol.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Ford Motor Shifts Gears?

It appears that Ford has finally started to get it, well, at least one
part of the puzzle. And this part of the puzzle says that business as
usual, doesn't cut it in today's hyper-competitive market. The market
wants continual improvement, not the old plan of design a vehicle and
then wait for it to die on the vine before you make changes or offer a
replacement.

Any way... very interesting article. Take a read.

---
>From BON:

Richard Jensen

Our friends in the automotive press, all-knowing as they are, have
seized on the various official and semi-official announcements by Ford
executives concerning the proposed schedule of refinements to the Five
Hundred as proof that Ford is 'unhappy' with the way the public (here
read: "press") has received the new Five Hundred. Apparently, the Five
Hundred is too conservatively styled, and must be restyled as quickly
as possible.

Very sound reasoning, given that Ford has a long-standing history of
investing very little in its car platforms between major overhauls.

One might even be tempted to believe that Ford was scrambling to
correct deficiencies with the Five Hundred, if Ford's prior strategy of
minimal ongoing platform investment had been a success.

But has it?

The numbers suggest otherwise. Over the last decade, Ford has
consistently lost passenger car market share in a large part due to the
fact that they did not invest in their product on an ongoing basis.

Apparently that message has been received loud and clear.

So, taking a page from Honda and Toyota, who make major and minor
changes to their passenger cars on a regular schedule (one that you can
set your watch to, in fact), Ford designed the Five Hundred planning to
refresh the design and make other improvements in about two to three
years. Yet another round of changes and upgrades are planned for about
two years after that, and more changes are planned for about two years
after that (as revealed by Phil Martens in an AutoWeek article). As far
back as October of 2002, Chris Theodore (now retired) outlined a
strategy of platform investment that involved increased component
carryover and shorter turnaround times for both new product and
improvements to existing product.

The Five Hundred is the first vehicle that has officially been placed
on this new ongoing investment strategy, however there are rumors
circulating that have the Ford F150 receiving a significant upgrade for
the 2008 model year, an unheard of midcycle upgrade for a full size
pickup. This ongoing investment strategy is an effort to emulate
Toyota's "Kaizen" or "continuous improvement" philosophy.

This "continous improvement" philosophy does mean that Ford will, over
the life of a platform, make less profit per unit sold, as they will
have to invest more in the platform. However, less profit per unit sold
is fine, if the number of units sold remains fairly consistent, instead
of falling off dramatically toward the end of the platform's life.

Ford's new strategy is not glamorous, but it will change the domestic
car industry. With the Fusion and the Five Hundred on staggered design
update cycles, there will always be mainstream product in the Ford
showroom with a fresh face. With a two-three year window to supension,
steering, and powertrain refinement, customer complaints and faults
with the current Fusion or Five Hundred will be addressed quickly.
Substantial component carryover due to more frequent and smaller
platform changes means that design defects should drop off over time.
This strategy should provide exactly what Ford is looking for in the
North American market: steady sales, steady market share, and fully
utilized plant capacity.

<snipped some boring stuff>

Wisely, Ford has avoided pandering to the press. Instead recognizing
that the car buying public appreciates results more than anything else,
they have decided to build thoroughly competent vehicles that will
remain current throughout their life-cycles. Truly a revolutionary move
by a domestic car company.
----

Patrick
'93 Cobra

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-30-2005, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
gerald smith@impco.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Motor Shifts Gears?

On 30 Mar 2005 19:31:25 -0800, NoOption5L@aol.com wrote:

>It appears that Ford has finally started to get it, well, at least one
>part of the puzzle. And this part of the puzzle says that business as
>usual, doesn't cut it in today's hyper-competitive market. The market
>wants continual improvement, not the old plan of design a vehicle and
>then wait for it to die on the vine before you make changes or offer a
>replacement.
>
>Any way... very interesting article. Take a read.
>
>---
>>From BON:

>Richard Jensen
>
>Our friends in the automotive press, all-knowing as they are, have
>seized on the various official and semi-official announcements by Ford
>executives concerning the proposed schedule of refinements to the Five
>Hundred as proof that Ford is 'unhappy' with the way the public (here
>read: "press") has received the new Five Hundred. Apparently, the Five
>Hundred is too conservatively styled, and must be restyled as quickly
>as possible.
>
>Very sound reasoning, given that Ford has a long-standing history of
>investing very little in its car platforms between major overhauls.
>
>One might even be tempted to believe that Ford was scrambling to
>correct deficiencies with the Five Hundred, if Ford's prior strategy of
>minimal ongoing platform investment had been a success.
>
>But has it?
>
>The numbers suggest otherwise. Over the last decade, Ford has
>consistently lost passenger car market share in a large part due to the
>fact that they did not invest in their product on an ongoing basis.
>
>Apparently that message has been received loud and clear.
>
>So, taking a page from Honda and Toyota, who make major and minor
>changes to their passenger cars on a regular schedule (one that you can
>set your watch to, in fact), Ford designed the Five Hundred planning to
>refresh the design and make other improvements in about two to three
>years. Yet another round of changes and upgrades are planned for about
>two years after that, and more changes are planned for about two years
>after that (as revealed by Phil Martens in an AutoWeek article). As far
>back as October of 2002, Chris Theodore (now retired) outlined a
>strategy of platform investment that involved increased component
>carryover and shorter turnaround times for both new product and
>improvements to existing product.
>
>The Five Hundred is the first vehicle that has officially been placed
>on this new ongoing investment strategy, however there are rumors
>circulating that have the Ford F150 receiving a significant upgrade for
>the 2008 model year, an unheard of midcycle upgrade for a full size
>pickup. This ongoing investment strategy is an effort to emulate
>Toyota's "Kaizen" or "continuous improvement" philosophy.
>
>This "continous improvement" philosophy does mean that Ford will, over
>the life of a platform, make less profit per unit sold, as they will
>have to invest more in the platform. However, less profit per unit sold
>is fine, if the number of units sold remains fairly consistent, instead
>of falling off dramatically toward the end of the platform's life.
>
>Ford's new strategy is not glamorous, but it will change the domestic
>car industry. With the Fusion and the Five Hundred on staggered design
>update cycles, there will always be mainstream product in the Ford
>showroom with a fresh face. With a two-three year window to supension,
>steering, and powertrain refinement, customer complaints and faults
>with the current Fusion or Five Hundred will be addressed quickly.
>Substantial component carryover due to more frequent and smaller
>platform changes means that design defects should drop off over time.
>This strategy should provide exactly what Ford is looking for in the
>North American market: steady sales, steady market share, and fully
>utilized plant capacity.
>
><snipped some boring stuff>
>
>Wisely, Ford has avoided pandering to the press. Instead recognizing
>that the car buying public appreciates results more than anything else,
>they have decided to build thoroughly competent vehicles that will
>remain current throughout their life-cycles. Truly a revolutionary move
>by a domestic car company.
>----
>
>Patrick
>'93 Cobra

at the dealership there are alot of unhappy customers
fom engines that popped plugs
to the 3.8
focus is crap

face it ford is crap


hurc ast
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 21:01   #3 (permalink)
Brent P
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Motor Shifts Gears?

In article <1112239885.760451.209020@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, NoOption5L@aol.com wrote:
> read: "press") has received the new Five Hundred. Apparently, the Five
> Hundred is too conservatively styled, and must be restyled as quickly
> as possible.


I got a better idea, give us the falcon and it's ute. ;)


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
gerald smith@impco.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Motor Shifts Gears?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:13:31 -0600, tetraethylleadREMOVETHIS@yahoo.com
(Brent P) wrote:

>In article <1112239885.760451.209020@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, NoOption5L@aol.com wrote:
>> read: "press") has received the new Five Hundred. Apparently, the Five
>> Hundred is too conservatively styled, and must be restyled as quickly
>> as possible.

>
>I got a better idea, give us the falcon and it's ute. ;)
>

lmfao
give the people their money back more like it

hurc ast
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
66 6F HCS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Motor Shifts Gears?


"Brent P" <tetraethylleadREMOVETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:O-GdnbNGk7V25dbfRVn-2g@comcast.com...
> In article <1112239885.760451.209020@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> NoOption5L@aol.com wrote:
>> read: "press") has received the new Five Hundred. Apparently, the Five
>> Hundred is too conservatively styled, and must be restyled as quickly
>> as possible.

>
> I got a better idea, give us the falcon and it's ute. ;)


Unfortunately the Falcon name has been trademarked by ...Pep Boys I think?!?
For a tire of all things!!! AARGH!! The 500 was, IIRC, originally going to
be called "Falcon" until the TM issues came up.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
Brent P
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Motor Shifts Gears?

In article <dbydnfwocP3-ENbfRVn-2w@comcast.com>, 66 6F HCS wrote:

> Unfortunately the Falcon name has been trademarked by ...Pep Boys I think?!?
> For a tire of all things!!! AARGH!! The 500 was, IIRC, originally going to
> be called "Falcon" until the TM issues came up.


Ford lost the case to stop pep boys from using 'futura' which was last
used in the USA on a particular trim level of fairmont....


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:01   #7 (permalink)
Dana H. Myers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Motor Shifts Gears?


Oddly enough, the first three times I read the title
of this thread, I was sure it said "Ford Motor Shits Gears".

I need more sleep.

Dana
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 17:01   #8 (permalink)
WindsorFox[SS]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Motor Shifts Gears?

Brent P wrote:
> In article <1112239885.760451.209020@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, NoOption5L@aol.com wrote:
>
>>read: "press") has received the new Five Hundred. Apparently, the Five
>>Hundred is too conservatively styled, and must be restyled as quickly
>>as possible.

>
>
> I got a better idea, give us the falcon and it's ute. ;)
>
>



UTE??? I'd love to see the Falcon show up as a 4 door version of
the Mustang.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 17:02   #9 (permalink)
WindsorFox[SS]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Motor Shifts Gears?

Dana H. Myers wrote:
>
> Oddly enough, the first three times I read the title
> of this thread, I was sure it said "Ford Motor Shits Gears".
>
> I need more sleep.
>
> Dana



Wheeeeeeeere is yo mind leetle girl??!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 19:01   #10 (permalink)
Dana H. Myers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Motor Shifts Gears?

WindsorFox[SS] wrote:
> Dana H. Myers wrote:
>
>>
>> Oddly enough, the first three times I read the title
>> of this thread, I was sure it said "Ford Motor Shits Gears".
>>
>> I need more sleep.
>>
>> Dana


> Wheeeeeeeere is yo mind leetle girl??!


You can decide for yourself:

http://www.dioxine.net/~dana/new_pic.jpg

Dana
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.