Gas price whiners - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2005, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
RichA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gas price whiners

China is driving oil prices since THEY are the new part
of the demand equation. If you think it's just gas, take
a look at the price of steel, aluminum and other materials
they are consuming. They've doubled in less than two years
as well. Welcome to the new World.
But, if you don't like it, move to Argentina. Gas is subsidized
and a tank will cost you (believe it or not) $2.00!!! Of course,
you're wages are likely to be a little lower. :)
Or, if you think high gas prices are good for your environmental
cause, move to England where a tank will run you $90.00.
Oh yeah; Your wages will be lower in England too, so with houses
in London costing $1m+, get used to the idea of a 400 square foot
flat and the term, "roommate."
-Rich


"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
never gave us refunds for in the past"
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-27-2005, 19:01   #2 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gas price whiners

WTF are you rattling on about???

Gas prioces are high.... our respective governments are reaping huge
windfalls through royalties and taxes.

Less than 2000 meters beneath my feet, is a huge puddle of the stuff
gasoline is made from. Sure, there is a matter of supply and demandbut looka
here.... Right now, I'm paying 99.9 cents per liter for regular gas.... and
the reason the price is that low is because the signs don't go any higher.
Right now, the business signage companies are in town doing a bang up
business installing new signs.

FWIW, 99.9 per liter is around 4 bucks a gallon.... when I was younger, I
had cars that couldn't hold 4 bucks worth of gas. Am I upset about gas
prices? You bet!!! Do I reserve the right to "whine" about gas prices....
damned right.... and I'll stop when you start paying for my gasoline...


"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:47p1h19h54oh57frk2il73rgbck1eipa1o@4ax.com...
> China is driving oil prices since THEY are the new part
> of the demand equation. If you think it's just gas, take
> a look at the price of steel, aluminum and other materials
> they are consuming. They've doubled in less than two years
> as well. Welcome to the new World.
> But, if you don't like it, move to Argentina. Gas is subsidized
> and a tank will cost you (believe it or not) $2.00!!! Of course,
> you're wages are likely to be a little lower. :)
> Or, if you think high gas prices are good for your environmental
> cause, move to England where a tank will run you $90.00.
> Oh yeah; Your wages will be lower in England too, so with houses
> in London costing $1m+, get used to the idea of a 400 square foot
> flat and the term, "roommate."
> -Rich
>
>
> "Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
> never gave us refunds for in the past"



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 21:01   #3 (permalink)
dwight
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gas price whiners

"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:47p1h19h54oh57frk2il73rgbck1eipa1o@4ax.com...
> China is driving oil prices since THEY are the new part
> of the demand equation.


The same could be said of any and all consumers. Why single out China?

> If you think it's just gas, take a look at the price of steel,
> aluminum and other materials they are consuming. They've
> doubled in less than two years as well.


Damn those Chinee.

> Welcome to the new World.


It was so much better when it was just us and them - the First World and
everybody else. Prices never went up in those days.

No. Wait. Yeah, they did...

> But, if you don't like it, move to Argentina.


I think I've heard this same line used in some other instance... Give me
time, it'll come back to me...

> Gas is subsidized and a tank will cost you (believe it or not) $2.00!!!


$2.00 Argentine, or $2.00 US?

> Of course, you're wages are likely to be a little lower. :)


Gas prices and corresponding wages differ all throughout the United States,
too. But don't let that stop whatever point it is you're trying to make.

> Or, if you think high gas prices are good for your environmental
> cause, move to England where a tank will run you $90.00.


If I were worried about environmental causes, I'd either stay right where I
am and fight to better conditions, or I'd move to some place that had REALLY
lousy environmental policies. England doesn't strike me as that place.

> Oh yeah; Your wages will be lower in England too, so with houses
> in London costing $1m+, get used to the idea of a 400 square foot
> flat and the term, "roommate."


Tell it to Madonna. Nobody here cares.

dwight


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 22:01   #4 (permalink)
Michael Johnson, PE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gas price whiners

Jim, I don't blame you for bitching. It's sad when you pay more for a
gallon of gas than we do here in the US considering all the oil we
import from Canada. Who, or what, is responsible for it?

Jim Warman wrote:
> WTF are you rattling on about???
>
> Gas prioces are high.... our respective governments are reaping huge
> windfalls through royalties and taxes.
>
> Less than 2000 meters beneath my feet, is a huge puddle of the stuff
> gasoline is made from. Sure, there is a matter of supply and demandbut looka
> here.... Right now, I'm paying 99.9 cents per liter for regular gas.... and
> the reason the price is that low is because the signs don't go any higher.
> Right now, the business signage companies are in town doing a bang up
> business installing new signs.
>
> FWIW, 99.9 per liter is around 4 bucks a gallon.... when I was younger, I
> had cars that couldn't hold 4 bucks worth of gas. Am I upset about gas
> prices? You bet!!! Do I reserve the right to "whine" about gas prices....
> damned right.... and I'll stop when you start paying for my gasoline...
>
>
> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> news:47p1h19h54oh57frk2il73rgbck1eipa1o@4ax.com...
>
>>China is driving oil prices since THEY are the new part
>>of the demand equation. If you think it's just gas, take
>>a look at the price of steel, aluminum and other materials
>>they are consuming. They've doubled in less than two years
>>as well. Welcome to the new World.
>>But, if you don't like it, move to Argentina. Gas is subsidized
>>and a tank will cost you (believe it or not) $2.00!!! Of course,
>>you're wages are likely to be a little lower. :)
>>Or, if you think high gas prices are good for your environmental
>>cause, move to England where a tank will run you $90.00.
>>Oh yeah; Your wages will be lower in England too, so with houses
>>in London costing $1m+, get used to the idea of a 400 square foot
>>flat and the term, "roommate."
>>-Rich
>>
>>
>>"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
>>never gave us refunds for in the past"

>
>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:01   #5 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gas price whiners

I think it is pure and simple price gouging.... Our government exacts a
cruel tax on petroleum products and the refineries charge what they an get
away with.

I had my own gas station for several years.... this was a leased premise
scenario.... My service rep would never allow me to move my prices down....
no matter what the local price was, I would never make enough for the gas
bar to pay for itself (I was allowed a little over 3 cents per litre....
anything else, the oil company took. I could move my price down if I wanted
to take a sh*t kicking but, if I started a gas war, my oil company wouldn't
help me out. Heck, if the guy down the street started a gas war, my oil
company wouldn't help me out.

I'm not sure of the exacxt number here in Alberta (it varies province to
province) but about 40% of our gasoline price is taxes.... IIRC, the world
price on a barrel of oil is based on west Texas crude....high quality crude
can go for higher and lower quality crude can go for lower.... the chemist
have us there since they can determine what products are easily extracted
from the base and which products will require special treatment such as
catalyst treating....What it boils down to is like being a farmer.... a
farmer might get $200 for a good steer,,,, the butcher can turn that steer
into over $1000 worth of meat. If the butcher sticks to his guns, he can
always find a farmer that will part with a good steer for cheap.

Crude oil producers have the oprion of shutting in a well if it can't pay
for itself. There are regulations regarding this though I am unsure of what
it all entails.... to permanently shut in a well take bucks... lot's of
bucks. The refineries offer a price for the wells production... If the
refinery is running above their break even dollar, the price they offer goes
down.... If the refinery is operating at max production level (sometimes as
high as 125%), the price offered can go way down.

Long story made short.... the government makes out like jack the bear since
they dont have to do anything other than pass another levy.... The refinery
(and it's shareholders... some of whom appear to be politicians) makes out
like jack the bear.... The consumer suffers real bad and the producer counts
pennies (but still does much better than the consumer).

Sorry to ramble. Michael, but this is a real sore subject with me.... I
don't mind companies making "healthy" profits.... I just don't like having
to bring my own vaseline....


"Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message
news:_76dnQ4fT73-3IzeRVn-qw@giganews.com...
> Jim, I don't blame you for bitching. It's sad when you pay more for a
> gallon of gas than we do here in the US considering all the oil we
> import from Canada. Who, or what, is responsible for it?
>
> Jim Warman wrote:
> > WTF are you rattling on about???
> >
> > Gas prioces are high.... our respective governments are reaping huge
> > windfalls through royalties and taxes.
> >
> > Less than 2000 meters beneath my feet, is a huge puddle of the stuff
> > gasoline is made from. Sure, there is a matter of supply and demandbut

looka
> > here.... Right now, I'm paying 99.9 cents per liter for regular gas....

and
> > the reason the price is that low is because the signs don't go any

higher.
> > Right now, the business signage companies are in town doing a bang up
> > business installing new signs.
> >
> > FWIW, 99.9 per liter is around 4 bucks a gallon.... when I was younger,

I
> > had cars that couldn't hold 4 bucks worth of gas. Am I upset about gas
> > prices? You bet!!! Do I reserve the right to "whine" about gas

prices....
> > damned right.... and I'll stop when you start paying for my gasoline...
> >
> >
> > "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > news:47p1h19h54oh57frk2il73rgbck1eipa1o@4ax.com...
> >
> >>China is driving oil prices since THEY are the new part
> >>of the demand equation. If you think it's just gas, take
> >>a look at the price of steel, aluminum and other materials
> >>they are consuming. They've doubled in less than two years
> >>as well. Welcome to the new World.
> >>But, if you don't like it, move to Argentina. Gas is subsidized
> >>and a tank will cost you (believe it or not) $2.00!!! Of course,
> >>you're wages are likely to be a little lower. :)
> >>Or, if you think high gas prices are good for your environmental
> >>cause, move to England where a tank will run you $90.00.
> >>Oh yeah; Your wages will be lower in England too, so with houses
> >>in London costing $1m+, get used to the idea of a 400 square foot
> >>flat and the term, "roommate."
> >>-Rich
> >>
> >>
> >>"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
> >>never gave us refunds for in the past"

> >
> >
> >



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
elaich
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gas price whiners

"dwight" <tfrog93@GEEmail.com> wrote in news:z4mdncE6Xf3vs4zeRVn-
hQ@comcast.com:

> The same could be said of any and all consumers. Why single out China?


Because every drop of the oil that the Alaskan oil wells and pipeline are
producing are being sold to the Orient. The USA imports it's oil from the
Middle East at high OPEC prices, and sells what they could use internally
to foreign countries. And who pays? The consumer.

If anybody can't tell that this stinks, you must have dead nostrils.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:01   #7 (permalink)
RichA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gas price whiners

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:24:41 -0400, "dwight" <tfrog93@GEEmail.com>
wrote:

>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>news:47p1h19h54oh57frk2il73rgbck1eipa1o@4ax.com...
>> China is driving oil prices since THEY are the new part
>> of the demand equation.

>
>The same could be said of any and all consumers. Why single out China?


Because THEY are responsible for the majority of the new demand.
And India. The U.S. has always been a big consumer because they
produced MOST of the goods the World consumed.
-Rich


"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
never gave us refunds for in the past"
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:01   #8 (permalink)
RichA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gas price whiners

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:36:03 GMT, "Jim Warman"
<mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote:

>WTF are you rattling on about???
>
>Gas prioces are high.... our respective governments are reaping huge
>windfalls through royalties and taxes.
>
>Less than 2000 meters beneath my feet, is a huge puddle of the stuff
>gasoline is made from. Sure, there is a matter of supply and demandbut looka
>here.... Right now, I'm paying 99.9 cents per liter for regular gas.... and
>the reason the price is that low is because the signs don't go any higher.
>Right now, the business signage companies are in town doing a bang up
>business installing new signs.
>
>FWIW, 99.9 per liter is around 4 bucks a gallon.... when I was younger, I
>had cars that couldn't hold 4 bucks worth of gas. Am I upset about gas
>prices? You bet!!! Do I reserve the right to "whine" about gas prices....
>damned right.... and I'll stop when you start paying for my gasoline...


Then Canada should elect the first party that says "We'll cut gas
taxes in half." Of course, the slimy provinces get their cut too.
-Rich


"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
never gave us refunds for in the past"
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:01   #9 (permalink)
SVTKate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gas price whiners


"dwight" <tfrog93@GEEmail.com> wrote in message
news:z4mdncE6Xf3vs4zeRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
: "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
: news:47p1h19h54oh57frk2il73rgbck1eipa1o@4ax.com...
: > China is driving oil prices since THEY are the new part
: > of the demand equation.
:
: The same could be said of any and all consumers. Why single out China?
:

Currently CHina IS the big glut on the market.
They are the ones that have driven up the cost of most of our natural
resources because of their high demand.
Not just the prices of oil but of everything from timber to steel. Like
locusts but we are greedy enough that we won't say no to them, nor does the
rest of the world for that matter.

In return, well you know what we get. Shoddy goods and unemployment.


Kate



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:01   #10 (permalink)
dwight
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gas price whiners


"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:pqs2h1lsu6bh0a6ogh9jjuleshnur7su3a@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:24:41 -0400, "dwight" <tfrog93@GEEmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>news:47p1h19h54oh57frk2il73rgbck1eipa1o@4ax.com...
>>> China is driving oil prices since THEY are the new part
>>> of the demand equation.

>>
>>The same could be said of any and all consumers. Why single out China?

>
> Because THEY are responsible for the majority of the new demand.
> And India. The U.S. has always been a big consumer because they
> produced MOST of the goods the World consumed.


If you want to complain about business competition, too bad. The current
situation has been decades in the making, ever since the first American
entrepreneurs contracted the Chinese to make cheap swizzle sticks and
sneakers. China's (and India's ...and Ireland's, for that matter) booming
economy is a direct result of American enterprise.

If you want to blame the Chinese for the rise in gasoline prices OVER THE
PAST TWELVE MONTHS, then I would remind you that China existed for a few
years before that. Their industry did not rise up whole in that short span
of time. It's not like a billion Chinese suddenly went out and bought
Chevies under GM's employee discount program, making my gasoline go from
$1.50 in June 2004 to $2.70 in July 2005.

dwight


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.