How long do stock brake pads last? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-05, 03:01 AM
BradandBrooks
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
How long do stock brake pads last?

On a 5.0?

What is the mileage before they need to be replaced?

Thanks all.

Brad



 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-05, 10:01 AM
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How long do stock brake pads last?

A lot depends on where and how you drive... there is no time or mileage
constraint. For bonded pads, I would replace them when the lining material
is down to 3mm above the backing. For rivetted pads, 3mm above the tops of
the rivet heads.

Similarly, pads with loose, chunked or cracked lining material should be
replaced no matter what the thickness remaining is.

HTH

"BradandBrooks" <BradandBrooks@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:pjfQe.324011$s54.138761@pd7tw2no...
On a 5.0?

What is the mileage before they need to be replaced?

Thanks all.

Brad


 
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-05, 12:01 PM
dwight
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How long do stock brake pads last?

"Jim Warman" <mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote in message
news:oulQe.199499$9A2.84552@edtnps89...
>A lot depends on where and how you drive... there is no time or mileage
> constraint. For bonded pads, I would replace them when the lining material
> is down to 3mm above the backing. For rivetted pads, 3mm above the tops of
> the rivet heads.
>
> Similarly, pads with loose, chunked or cracked lining material should be
> replaced no matter what the thickness remaining is.
>
> HTH


Pads are cheap. Cheaper than my Power Slots. I like to have them changed
every year at inspection time, since they're checking the brakes anyway. At
least every other year...

I agree with your 3mm minimum, but I'd hate to see them get that low.

With the stock setup, the bigger problem was the rotors, which warped far
too easily.

dwight

> "BradandBrooks" <BradandBrooks@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:pjfQe.324011$s54.138761@pd7tw2no...
> On a 5.0?
>
> What is the mileage before they need to be replaced?
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Brad
>
>



 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-05, 04:01 PM
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How long do stock brake pads last?

"dwight" <tfrog93@GEEmail.com> wrote in
news:PcWdnbJRUvvDZozeRVn-jQ@comcast.com:

> "Jim Warman" <mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote in message
> news:oulQe.199499$9A2.84552@edtnps89...
>>A lot depends on where and how you drive... there is no time or
>>mileage
>> constraint. For bonded pads, I would replace them when the lining
>> material is down to 3mm above the backing. For rivetted pads, 3mm
>> above the tops of the rivet heads.
>>
>> Similarly, pads with loose, chunked or cracked lining material
>> should be replaced no matter what the thickness remaining is.
>>
>> HTH

>
> Pads are cheap. Cheaper than my Power Slots. I like to have them
> changed every year at inspection time, since they're checking the
> brakes anyway. At least every other year...


The Power Slots are the best thing I've put on the LX with regards to
braking. Not a shread of warping since I put them on 6 years ago.


> I agree with your 3mm minimum, but I'd hate to see them get that
> low.
>
> With the stock setup, the bigger problem was the rotors, which
> warped far too easily.
>
> dwight
>
>> "BradandBrooks" <BradandBrooks@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> news:pjfQe.324011$s54.138761@pd7tw2no...
>> On a 5.0?
>>
>> What is the mileage before they need to be replaced?
>>
>> Thanks all.
>>
>> Brad
>>
>>

>
>


 
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-05, 05:01 PM
WindsorFox[SS]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How long do stock brake pads last?

BradandBrooks wrote:
> On a 5.0?
>
> What is the mileage before they need to be replaced?
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Brad
>



It depends on how much you stop.

--

"Gullible is a misdemeanor - stupid is a felony...
clueless gets you committed..." - JG
 
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-05, 08:01 PM
BradandBrooks
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How long do stock brake pads last?

Thanks guys!

Brad

"Joe" <avoidingspam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:iGoQe.14652$HM2.9851@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> "dwight" <tfrog93@GEEmail.com> wrote in
> news:PcWdnbJRUvvDZozeRVn-jQ@comcast.com:
>
>> "Jim Warman" <mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote in message
>> news:oulQe.199499$9A2.84552@edtnps89...
>>>A lot depends on where and how you drive... there is no time or
>>>mileage
>>> constraint. For bonded pads, I would replace them when the lining
>>> material is down to 3mm above the backing. For rivetted pads, 3mm
>>> above the tops of the rivet heads.
>>>
>>> Similarly, pads with loose, chunked or cracked lining material
>>> should be replaced no matter what the thickness remaining is.
>>>
>>> HTH

>>
>> Pads are cheap. Cheaper than my Power Slots. I like to have them
>> changed every year at inspection time, since they're checking the
>> brakes anyway. At least every other year...

>
> The Power Slots are the best thing I've put on the LX with regards to
> braking. Not a shread of warping since I put them on 6 years ago.
>
>
>> I agree with your 3mm minimum, but I'd hate to see them get that
>> low.
>>
>> With the stock setup, the bigger problem was the rotors, which
>> warped far too easily.
>>
>> dwight
>>
>>> "BradandBrooks" <BradandBrooks@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> news:pjfQe.324011$s54.138761@pd7tw2no...
>>> On a 5.0?
>>>
>>> What is the mileage before they need to be replaced?
>>>
>>> Thanks all.
>>>
>>> Brad
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>



 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome