More on the demon cellphone - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2005, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
RichA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
More on the demon cellphone

RURAL DRIVERS USING CELL PHONES ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE ACCIDENTS, June 24
Rural drivers using cell phones while driving are nearly four times
more likely to cause automobile accidents than rural drivers not using
cell phones, according to a new study by the Western Transportation
Institute based at Montana State University.
As one of the first studies conducted in rural areas, the findings
corroborate data showing that rural drivers should hang up and drive.
Full story at http://www.physorg.com/news4743.html
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2005, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
Jafo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the demon cellphone

"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:t1nrc1dgohmpn522djsluhce4jlep0vsga@4ax.com...
> RURAL DRIVERS USING CELL PHONES ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE ACCIDENTS, June 24
> Rural drivers using cell phones while driving are nearly four times
> more likely to cause automobile accidents than rural drivers not using
> cell phones, according to a new study by the Western Transportation
> Institute based at Montana State University.
> As one of the first studies conducted in rural areas, the findings
> corroborate data showing that rural drivers should hang up and drive.
> Full story at http://www.physorg.com/news4743.html


Geeez they spared no expense or effort... a whole 36 people tested.

I like the quotes,
"Based on the fact that drivers are 3.8 times more likely to get in a car
accident when using a cell phone, it is best to dial before driving," said
WTI researcher Laura Stanley. "It is preferable that drivers don't use cell
phones while driving, whether on urban or rural roads, because most research
shows a higher risk of being involved in an accident. It's a driver
distraction."

Where did that fact "3.8 times more likely... " come from?
and "because most research shows a higher risk..."

So typical... never any references to actual published studies.. just "well
I know this".... its all crap.
--
Jafo
'02 GT Black
Not eggzackly stock.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:02   #3 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the demon cellphone

Why on earth would they target "rural" drivers? Are cell phones a
distraction? Ask your friendly, local motorcyclist.... Worse yet, I'm inches
away from changing my laundry schedule (or worse) and the talkee thinks
their screw up was hunourous....

If driving was an activity that required less than our full attention, there
wouldn't be much in the way of accident reports...


"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:t1nrc1dgohmpn522djsluhce4jlep0vsga@4ax.com...
> RURAL DRIVERS USING CELL PHONES ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE ACCIDENTS, June 24
> Rural drivers using cell phones while driving are nearly four times
> more likely to cause automobile accidents than rural drivers not using
> cell phones, according to a new study by the Western Transportation
> Institute based at Montana State University.
> As one of the first studies conducted in rural areas, the findings
> corroborate data showing that rural drivers should hang up and drive.
> Full story at http://www.physorg.com/news4743.html



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:02   #4 (permalink)
Armon Tanzerian
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the demon cellphone

Once again, it is NOT the cellphone that is the problem, it is the DRIVER!!!

Putting on makeup, brushing your teeth, eathing an egg-mc-heartattack, or
even yelling at your screaming kids ALL lead to "increased accidents". but
nobody has an agenda to push against any of them!

What I find funny is that, while people will try to (and successfully in
some cases) OUTLAW the use of a device that you can use while keeping your
eyes on the road, NOBODY has any problems with NAVIGATION systems!

Glancing down, and poking away at a glaring screen while in an unfamilar
area... Yeah, THAT'S safe !

But nobody will jump on THIS bandwagon until there are 50 bazillion of them
in circulation. THEN someone will say "gee whiz... these things should be
outlawed"

How about not outlawing ANYTHING, and just make the @$#@% penalties stiff
for having an accident when not paying attention.... WHATEVER the reason is
! !
"Jim Warman" <mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote in message
news:04oze.113418$9A2.72554@edtnps89...
> Why on earth would they target "rural" drivers? Are cell phones a
> distraction? Ask your friendly, local motorcyclist.... Worse yet, I'm
> inches
> away from changing my laundry schedule (or worse) and the talkee thinks
> their screw up was hunourous....
>
> If driving was an activity that required less than our full attention,
> there
> wouldn't be much in the way of accident reports...
>
>
> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> news:t1nrc1dgohmpn522djsluhce4jlep0vsga@4ax.com...
>> RURAL DRIVERS USING CELL PHONES ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE ACCIDENTS, June 24
>> Rural drivers using cell phones while driving are nearly four times
>> more likely to cause automobile accidents than rural drivers not using
>> cell phones, according to a new study by the Western Transportation
>> Institute based at Montana State University.
>> As one of the first studies conducted in rural areas, the findings
>> corroborate data showing that rural drivers should hang up and drive.
>> Full story at http://www.physorg.com/news4743.html

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:02   #5 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the demon cellphone

And on the news channel today they said they was almost no difference
in the rate of accident between people using them and people not using
them. That both were increased risks of nearly identical levels.

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:52:18 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

>RURAL DRIVERS USING CELL PHONES ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE ACCIDENTS, June 24
>Rural drivers using cell phones while driving are nearly four times
>more likely to cause automobile accidents than rural drivers not using
>cell phones, according to a new study by the Western Transportation
>Institute based at Montana State University.
>As one of the first studies conducted in rural areas, the findings
>corroborate data showing that rural drivers should hang up and drive.
>Full story at http://www.physorg.com/news4743.html


Spike
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 15:03   #6 (permalink)
RichA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the demon cellphone

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 05:22:04 GMT, "Jim Warman"
<mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote:

>Why on earth would they target "rural" drivers? Are cell phones a
>distraction? Ask your friendly, local motorcyclist.... Worse yet, I'm inches
>away from changing my laundry schedule (or worse) and the talkee thinks
>their screw up was hunourous....
>
>If driving was an activity that required less than our full attention, there
>wouldn't be much in the way of accident reports...


I think one reason is that although rural accidents are probably less
frequent than urban ones, they are more serious when they happen,
owing to things like 50mph intersections that only have stop signs.
T-bone!

>
>
>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>news:t1nrc1dgohmpn522djsluhce4jlep0vsga@4ax.com...
>> RURAL DRIVERS USING CELL PHONES ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE ACCIDENTS, June 24
>> Rural drivers using cell phones while driving are nearly four times
>> more likely to cause automobile accidents than rural drivers not using
>> cell phones, according to a new study by the Western Transportation
>> Institute based at Montana State University.
>> As one of the first studies conducted in rural areas, the findings
>> corroborate data showing that rural drivers should hang up and drive.
>> Full story at http://www.physorg.com/news4743.html

>


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 15:03   #7 (permalink)
RichA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the demon cellphone

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:30:48 -0700, "Armon Tanzerian" <spam@hormel.com>
wrote:

>Once again, it is NOT the cellphone that is the problem, it is the DRIVER!!!


I know we all like to think we can drive and talk at the same time,
but study after study shows we can't do it very well. Obviously (like
with anything else) people differ, but there is no doubt
"multi-tasking" while driving is not a good idea.
-Rich

>
>Putting on makeup, brushing your teeth, eathing an egg-mc-heartattack, or
>even yelling at your screaming kids ALL lead to "increased accidents". but
>nobody has an agenda to push against any of them!
>
>What I find funny is that, while people will try to (and successfully in
>some cases) OUTLAW the use of a device that you can use while keeping your
>eyes on the road, NOBODY has any problems with NAVIGATION systems!
>
>Glancing down, and poking away at a glaring screen while in an unfamilar
>area... Yeah, THAT'S safe !
>
>But nobody will jump on THIS bandwagon until there are 50 bazillion of them
>in circulation. THEN someone will say "gee whiz... these things should be
>outlawed"
>
>How about not outlawing ANYTHING, and just make the @$#@% penalties stiff
>for having an accident when not paying attention.... WHATEVER the reason is
>! !
>"Jim Warman" <mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote in message
>news:04oze.113418$9A2.72554@edtnps89...
>> Why on earth would they target "rural" drivers? Are cell phones a
>> distraction? Ask your friendly, local motorcyclist.... Worse yet, I'm
>> inches
>> away from changing my laundry schedule (or worse) and the talkee thinks
>> their screw up was hunourous....
>>
>> If driving was an activity that required less than our full attention,
>> there
>> wouldn't be much in the way of accident reports...
>>
>>
>> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> news:t1nrc1dgohmpn522djsluhce4jlep0vsga@4ax.com...
>>> RURAL DRIVERS USING CELL PHONES ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE ACCIDENTS, June 24
>>> Rural drivers using cell phones while driving are nearly four times
>>> more likely to cause automobile accidents than rural drivers not using
>>> cell phones, according to a new study by the Western Transportation
>>> Institute based at Montana State University.
>>> As one of the first studies conducted in rural areas, the findings
>>> corroborate data showing that rural drivers should hang up and drive.
>>> Full story at http://www.physorg.com/news4743.html

>>
>>

>


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 22:02   #8 (permalink)
SVTKate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the demon cellphone


"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:v8ptc117lbq37dgmaqi1bhd2g35n0dgoic@4ax.com...
: On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:30:48 -0700, "Armon Tanzerian" <spam@hormel.com>
: wrote:
:
: >Once again, it is NOT the cellphone that is the problem, it is the
DRIVER!!!
:
: I know we all like to think we can drive and talk at the same time,
: but study after study shows we can't do it very well. Obviously (like
: with anything else) people differ, but there is no doubt
: "multi-tasking" while driving is not a good idea.
: -Rich
:
Hey, I know I can't, so I don't unless it's a no other choice kind of thing.
I cannot shift, stter and pay attention to everything all at once. Scares
the shit out of me


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:02   #9 (permalink)
dwight
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the demon cellphone

"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:t1nrc1dgohmpn522djsluhce4jlep0vsga@4ax.com...

I can never hear the damn cellphone ring, when I'm in the car. Too many
missed calls.

Princess suggested that I keep the cellphone tucked into my crotch and on
vibrate.

Now, when I get a phone call, it's the most fun I've had all week.

dwight


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 23:02   #10 (permalink)
cprice@here.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the demon cellphone


And in other news;

Common sense found to be uncommon...

50% of people are below average intelligence.

'Water is wet'.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:57.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.