OT: Why FEMA Was Missing In Action - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2005, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
OT: Why FEMA Was Missing In Action

http://tinyurl.com/d7o59
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-07-2005, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
Michael Johnson, PE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Here's another take on things

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219

Just thought I would provide another viewpoint.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
Ritz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Here's another take on things

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219
>
> Just thought I would provide another viewpoint.



I think this is actually the correct viewpoint. I'm sure a lot of this
will come out in the finger pointing stages of the game when that plays
out. It's interesting to see how some politicians are so intent on
getting political mileage from this natural disaster that they were
willing to waste valuable time and resources DURING the crisis to start
carping at their political opponents.

When this is all over, I think the people who are going to wind up
looking the worst are the state and local officials and authorities in
some of the affected areas. But time will tell. There will be time to
worry about that AFTERWARDS. Now it's time to focus on helping
survivors and identifying/burying the dead.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 15:01   #4 (permalink)
Michael Johnson, PE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Here's another take on things

Ritz wrote:
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219
>>
>> Just thought I would provide another viewpoint.

>
>
>
> I think this is actually the correct viewpoint. I'm sure a lot of this
> will come out in the finger pointing stages of the game when that plays
> out. It's interesting to see how some politicians are so intent on
> getting political mileage from this natural disaster that they were
> willing to waste valuable time and resources DURING the crisis to start
> carping at their political opponents.
>
> When this is all over, I think the people who are going to wind up
> looking the worst are the state and local officials and authorities in
> some of the affected areas. But time will tell. There will be time to
> worry about that AFTERWARDS. Now it's time to focus on helping
> survivors and identifying/burying the dead.


President Bush and the director of FEMA have said that this is not the
time to investigate. Right now it would only take the people who are
providing relief away from performing their jobs. IMO, all these
politicians that are busy pointing fingers should be using their time to
help people instead. FEMA probably could have performed better but
without support from the first line responders I don't see how they
could be anywhere near 100% effective. I also think the local and state
officials are going to have a lot of explaining to do when the dust
settles. FEMA and the military were the only groups that performed at
all during this disaster. If it weren't for them there would be
thousands of people dying daily by now. Personally, I think we might
find they deserve a lot of praise when the full story is known. Problem
is I doubt the major media networks (CBS/ABC/NBC/CNN/NYT etc.) will ever
tell us the truth because they would have to be critical of a Democratic
mayor and governor. They certainly haven't wasted time piling blame on
the President though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 18:01   #5 (permalink)
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Here's another take on things

"Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in
news:TMOdnZyePcvWooLeRVn-iQ@giganews.com:

> http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219
>
> Just thought I would provide another viewpoint.


I figured you might. ;)

BTW, here are a couple of interesting links on the Evergreen Freedom
Foundation, of which Bob Williams (the author of the article in your
url) is president.

Bob Williams, of course, is the author of the viewpoint you've
provided.

http://tinyurl.com/ao5cj
http://tinyurl.com/9rwgz

Interesting reading, to say the least.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 19:01   #6 (permalink)
Michael Johnson, PE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Here's another take on things

Joe wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in
> news:TMOdnZyePcvWooLeRVn-iQ@giganews.com:
>
>
>>http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219
>>
>>Just thought I would provide another viewpoint.

>
>
> I figured you might. ;)
>
> BTW, here are a couple of interesting links on the Evergreen Freedom
> Foundation, of which Bob Williams (the author of the article in your
> url) is president.
>
> Bob Williams, of course, is the author of the viewpoint you've
> provided.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ao5cj


This site is run by a left leaning group that supposedly tracks
financing for conservative groups. I don't see where it has relevance
to the WSJ article. I think almost all of the statements he made in the
editorial are accurate. I just heard reported tonight that the Red
Cross said it was ready to supply aid immediately after the hurricane
hit but Gov. Blanco's state Dept. of Homeland Security refused their
request to move into New Orleans. A lot of stuff is starting to come
out about her performance. She has placed a gag order on the LA
National Guard regarding release of what orders she gave before and
after the hurricane hit. Sounds like a cover up in the making. The
mayor of NO wants to evacuate everyone from the city for health reasons
and she has stopped that. Also, it appears she was very delinquent in
requesting FEMA assistance. By law FEMA cannot come into a state to
give assistance unless requested to do so. This is going to really get
interesting as more comes out.

> http://tinyurl.com/9rwgz


I also don't see where this is relevant to the editorial in the WSJ
either. Sounds like his organization is turning up the heat on
Washington State government. Washington State should have a Republican
governor right now but the incumbent Democratic candidate kept forcing
recounts until the she won. Sounds like what the Democrats tried to do
in Florida in 2000. ;)

> Interesting reading, to say the least.


It is too early to tell but I think the kitchen is going to get awfully
hot for Gov. Blanco in the up coming weeks. People are starting to ask
hard questions that she doesn't seem to want to answer right now. First
on my list of questions for her to answer was why did she wait until the
Wednesday after the hurricane to ask for federal assistance from FEMA?
Second is why was there absolutely no evacuation of the poorer residents
using public transportation? Third is why didn't she immediately
mobilize the state national guard (which she controls solely) to
maintain order immediately after the hurricane (or before it for that
matter)? Sooner or later the answers to these questions will be known
whether or not she gives them herself. I think the truthful answer from
her for all three questions should be "Because I'm incompetent". ;)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:01   #7 (permalink)
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Here's another take on things

Michael, the two links I provided earlier were simply an attempt to
show that the EFF's credibility is certainly no greater than that of
the L.A. Times.

I wonder how the concept of the feds coming into a state plays out
after a 'federal disaster' has been declared. At that point, I don't
know if the same rules apply.

At any rate, here's the transcript of a press briefing by Scott
McClellan. I don't know if you can get more "official" than this:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0050907-2.html
The Q&A part is pretty interesting. ;)


"Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in
news:JcidnZ2dnZ0PxOWWnZ2dnesTgt6dnZ2dRVn-yJ2dnZ0@giganews.com:

> Joe wrote:
>> "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in
>> news:TMOdnZyePcvWooLeRVn-iQ@giganews.com:
>>
>>
>>>http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219
>>>
>>>Just thought I would provide another viewpoint.

>>
>>
>> I figured you might. ;)
>>
>> BTW, here are a couple of interesting links on the Evergreen
>> Freedom Foundation, of which Bob Williams (the author of the
>> article in your url) is president.
>>
>> Bob Williams, of course, is the author of the viewpoint you've
>> provided.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/ao5cj

>
> This site is run by a left leaning group that supposedly tracks
> financing for conservative groups. I don't see where it has
> relevance to the WSJ article. I think almost all of the statements
> he made in the editorial are accurate. I just heard reported
> tonight that the Red Cross said it was ready to supply aid
> immediately after the hurricane hit but Gov. Blanco's state Dept. of
> Homeland Security refused their request to move into New Orleans. A
> lot of stuff is starting to come out about her performance. She has
> placed a gag order on the LA National Guard regarding release of
> what orders she gave before and after the hurricane hit. Sounds
> like a cover up in the making. The mayor of NO wants to evacuate
> everyone from the city for health reasons and she has stopped that.
> Also, it appears she was very delinquent in requesting FEMA
> assistance. By law FEMA cannot come into a state to give assistance
> unless requested to do so. This is going to really get interesting
> as more comes out.
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/9rwgz

>
> I also don't see where this is relevant to the editorial in the WSJ
> either. Sounds like his organization is turning up the heat on
> Washington State government. Washington State should have a
> Republican governor right now but the incumbent Democratic candidate
> kept forcing recounts until the she won. Sounds like what the
> Democrats tried to do in Florida in 2000. ;)
>
>> Interesting reading, to say the least.

>
> It is too early to tell but I think the kitchen is going to get
> awfully hot for Gov. Blanco in the up coming weeks. People are
> starting to ask hard questions that she doesn't seem to want to
> answer right now. First on my list of questions for her to answer
> was why did she wait until the Wednesday after the hurricane to ask
> for federal assistance from FEMA? Second is why was there absolutely
> no evacuation of the poorer residents using public transportation?
> Third is why didn't she immediately mobilize the state national
> guard (which she controls solely) to maintain order immediately
> after the hurricane (or before it for that matter)? Sooner or later
> the answers to these questions will be known whether or not she
> gives them herself. I think the truthful answer from her for all
> three questions should be "Because I'm incompetent". ;)
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:01   #8 (permalink)
Michael Johnson, PE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Here's another take on things

Joe wrote:
> Michael, the two links I provided earlier were simply an attempt to
> show that the EFF's credibility is certainly no greater than that of
> the L.A. Times.


Believe me, I look at everyone with a skeptical eye. I thought the WSJ
article listed some good points that were backed up better than most
news articles.

> I wonder how the concept of the feds coming into a state plays out
> after a 'federal disaster' has been declared. At that point, I don't
> know if the same rules apply.


From what I understand FEMA can't enter a state without their request.
It is illegal for them to do it. I suppose if the entire state
government was wiped out them they could take over but that wasn't the
case here. I think the Feds basically pushed Blanco to the side when
they realized the scope of the problems. She still won't support
removing people by force, if necessary, because she wants to know if the
environmental dangers are "bad enough" to warrant removing them. The
EPA has done the tests and said the water has 10X the recommended levels
of toxic bacteria and it shouldn't even touch human skin.

> At any rate, here's the transcript of a press briefing by Scott
> McClellan. I don't know if you can get more "official" than this:
> http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0050907-2.html
> The Q&A part is pretty interesting. ;)


That news conference is a good example of a big waste of time, IMO. I
saw a few video clips on the news of it. Asking him about whether the
President agrees with his Mother's remarks is just an idiotic question.
All the reporter was trying to do is stir up controversy. He has
shown he is liberally biased well before now. The Democrats think they
have an opportunity to hurt Bush on this and the press is more than
happy to be their pawns. This news conference is just an example of it.
Just when I think the likes of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Ted Kennedy
etc. can't sink any lower in their quest to regain power they rise to
the occasion. Don't get me wrong, I think Republicans can do the same
thing but the Democrats seem to have a better knack for this disgusting
behavior. NOTHING is off limits if they can gain politically. I would
feel better about the press and Democrats complaints if they were going
after Blanco and the Mayor of New Orleans with the same enthusiasm. We
all know why they aren't - it is because they are Democrats. I think
that says it all. ;)

> "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in
> news:JcidnZ2dnZ0PxOWWnZ2dnesTgt6dnZ2dRVn-yJ2dnZ0@giganews.com:
>
>
>>Joe wrote:
>>
>>>"Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in
>>>news:TMOdnZyePcvWooLeRVn-iQ@giganews.com:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219
>>>>
>>>>Just thought I would provide another viewpoint.
>>>
>>>
>>>I figured you might. ;)
>>>
>>>BTW, here are a couple of interesting links on the Evergreen
>>>Freedom Foundation, of which Bob Williams (the author of the
>>>article in your url) is president.
>>>
>>>Bob Williams, of course, is the author of the viewpoint you've
>>>provided.
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/ao5cj

>>
>>This site is run by a left leaning group that supposedly tracks
>>financing for conservative groups. I don't see where it has
>>relevance to the WSJ article. I think almost all of the statements
>>he made in the editorial are accurate. I just heard reported
>>tonight that the Red Cross said it was ready to supply aid
>>immediately after the hurricane hit but Gov. Blanco's state Dept. of
>>Homeland Security refused their request to move into New Orleans. A
>>lot of stuff is starting to come out about her performance. She has
>>placed a gag order on the LA National Guard regarding release of
>>what orders she gave before and after the hurricane hit. Sounds
>>like a cover up in the making. The mayor of NO wants to evacuate
>>everyone from the city for health reasons and she has stopped that.
>>Also, it appears she was very delinquent in requesting FEMA
>>assistance. By law FEMA cannot come into a state to give assistance
>>unless requested to do so. This is going to really get interesting
>>as more comes out.
>>
>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/9rwgz

>>
>>I also don't see where this is relevant to the editorial in the WSJ
>>either. Sounds like his organization is turning up the heat on
>>Washington State government. Washington State should have a
>>Republican governor right now but the incumbent Democratic candidate
>>kept forcing recounts until the she won. Sounds like what the
>>Democrats tried to do in Florida in 2000. ;)
>>
>>
>>>Interesting reading, to say the least.

>>
>>It is too early to tell but I think the kitchen is going to get
>>awfully hot for Gov. Blanco in the up coming weeks. People are
>>starting to ask hard questions that she doesn't seem to want to
>>answer right now. First on my list of questions for her to answer
>>was why did she wait until the Wednesday after the hurricane to ask
>>for federal assistance from FEMA? Second is why was there absolutely
>>no evacuation of the poorer residents using public transportation?
>>Third is why didn't she immediately mobilize the state national
>>guard (which she controls solely) to maintain order immediately
>>after the hurricane (or before it for that matter)? Sooner or later
>>the answers to these questions will be known whether or not she
>>gives them herself. I think the truthful answer from her for all
>>three questions should be "Because I'm incompetent". ;)
>>

>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 15:01   #9 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cut to the chase!

Joe <avoidingspam@nospam.com> wrote in news:0NqTe.16184$FO3.8476
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

> http://tinyurl.com/d7o59


FEMA is a federal Bureaucracy! FEMA f#$$%d up, but the locals screwed the
pooch worse.

FEMA is run by a political hack, just as the lefty moonbats claim.

So lets get back at Bush and elect progressives so political hacks can have
a finger in everything.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 16:01   #10 (permalink)
PocoLoco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Here's another take on things

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:05:52 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote:

>Joe wrote:
>> "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in
>> news:TMOdnZyePcvWooLeRVn-iQ@giganews.com:
>>
>>
>>>http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219
>>>
>>>Just thought I would provide another viewpoint.

>>
>>
>> I figured you might. ;)
>>
>> BTW, here are a couple of interesting links on the Evergreen Freedom
>> Foundation, of which Bob Williams (the author of the article in your
>> url) is president.
>>
>> Bob Williams, of course, is the author of the viewpoint you've
>> provided.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/ao5cj

>
>This site is run by a left leaning group that supposedly tracks
>financing for conservative groups. I don't see where it has relevance
>to the WSJ article. I think almost all of the statements he made in the
>editorial are accurate. I just heard reported tonight that the Red
>Cross said it was ready to supply aid immediately after the hurricane
>hit but Gov. Blanco's state Dept. of Homeland Security refused their
>request to move into New Orleans. A lot of stuff is starting to come
>out about her performance. She has placed a gag order on the LA
>National Guard regarding release of what orders she gave before and
>after the hurricane hit. Sounds like a cover up in the making. The
>mayor of NO wants to evacuate everyone from the city for health reasons
>and she has stopped that. Also, it appears she was very delinquent in
>requesting FEMA assistance. By law FEMA cannot come into a state to
>give assistance unless requested to do so. This is going to really get
>interesting as more comes out.


From where came the 'gag order' info, please?
--
John H

"All decisions are the result of binary thinking."
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.