pilot bearing removal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:19   #1 (permalink)
gcroix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
pilot bearing removal

How do I remove the bearing from a crankshaft...the one that holds the input
shaft for a manual transmission?

Thanks in advance.

G in NC


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:19   #2 (permalink)
Gill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: pilot bearing removal

gcroix wrote:
> How do I remove the bearing from a crankshaft...the one that holds the input
> shaft for a manual transmission?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> G in NC
>
>

If it's what I'm thinking, get a round dowel that just fits into the
bearing with little side clearance, fill the hole in the crank with
bearing grease, slide the dowel just starting to go into the bearing and
give it a sharp rap with a hammer. The grease will push the bearing out.

--
Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT
With Bits and Pieces
http://tinyurl.com/3w3sv
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:19   #3 (permalink)
gcroix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: pilot bearing removal

Thanks...I'll try that.

"Gill" <gills@comcast.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:rNidnRGn0sFfOTrfRVn-rQ@comcast.com...
> gcroix wrote:
>> How do I remove the bearing from a crankshaft...the one that holds the
>> input shaft for a manual transmission?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> G in NC

> If it's what I'm thinking, get a round dowel that just fits into the
> bearing with little side clearance, fill the hole in the crank with
> bearing grease, slide the dowel just starting to go into the bearing and
> give it a sharp rap with a hammer. The grease will push the bearing out.
>
> --
> Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT
> With Bits and Pieces
> http://tinyurl.com/3w3sv



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:19   #4 (permalink)
SVTKate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: pilot bearing removal

My hubby agrees withGill.

Here are a couple of different ways
#1 recommended way is with a puller. AutoZone maybe $20
#2 if you have a steel pilot shaft fill it full of grease, fill the whole
hole full of grease.
start your pilot shaft in there and keep smacking it with a hammer. It will
act as a hydraulic pump and push the bearing out far enough so that you can
change it.
Push it a little over half way out and then you can grab it with some vice
grips and pull it out.

Kate


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:19   #5 (permalink)
gcroix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: pilot bearing removal

Thanks for the answer Kate. I'm glad I didn't ask you about putting neon
lights under the dash, haha.

Gary
"SVTKate" <whoever@whatever.complaint.dept> wrote in message
news:F_Wpe.1649$VK4.296@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> My hubby agrees withGill.
>
> Here are a couple of different ways
> #1 recommended way is with a puller. AutoZone maybe $20
> #2 if you have a steel pilot shaft fill it full of grease, fill the whole
> hole full of grease.
> start your pilot shaft in there and keep smacking it with a hammer. It
> will
> act as a hydraulic pump and push the bearing out far enough so that you
> can
> change it.
> Push it a little over half way out and then you can grab it with some vice
> grips and pull it out.
>
> Kate
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:19   #6 (permalink)
SVTKate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: pilot bearing removal

LOL
I'm glad you didn't either!


"gcroix" <gcroix@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:GZ6dnbblYIf4FTXfRVn-jQ@adelphia.com...
| Thanks for the answer Kate. I'm glad I didn't ask you about putting neon
| lights under the dash, haha.
|
| Gary
| "SVTKate" <whoever@whatever.complaint.dept> wrote in message
| news:F_Wpe.1649$VK4.296@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
| > My hubby agrees withGill.
| >
| > Here are a couple of different ways
| > #1 recommended way is with a puller. AutoZone maybe $20
| > #2 if you have a steel pilot shaft fill it full of grease, fill the
whole
| > hole full of grease.
| > start your pilot shaft in there and keep smacking it with a hammer. It
| > will
| > act as a hydraulic pump and push the bearing out far enough so that you
| > can
| > change it.
| > Push it a little over half way out and then you can grab it with some
vice
| > grips and pull it out.
| >
| > Kate
| >
| >
|
|


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.