Question about intermittent wipers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 23:01   #1 (permalink)
elaich
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question about intermittent wipers

One of the features I miss most on the '80 Capri I just bought is
intermittent wipers.

Now I have access to a wrecked '85 Stang that has them. I know I have to
change the switch and wiring harness. That part is easy.

However, I also know this thing has to have a "brain" somewhere. I don't
have a clue what I'm looking for.

1. Does anybody know where the brain or black box is loacted, and what it
looks like?

2. Do I have to swap the wiper motor, or will the '80 motor work?

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-11-2006, 00:01   #2 (permalink)
351CJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Question about intermittent wipers


"elaich" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:4559s5F4vjhvU1@individual.net...
> One of the features I miss most on the '80 Capri I just bought is
> intermittent wipers.
>
> Now I have access to a wrecked '85 Stang that has them. I know I have to
> change the switch and wiring harness. That part is easy.
>
> However, I also know this thing has to have a "brain" somewhere. I don't
> have a clue what I'm looking for.
>
> 1. Does anybody know where the brain or black box is loacted, and what it
> looks like?
>
> 2. Do I have to swap the wiper motor, or will the '80 motor work?
>


In that vintage of Ford Truck the difference is just a little pigtail with
small black box that plugs between the intermittent switch (they are
different) and the either/or rest of the wiring harness.


  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:02   #3 (permalink)
elaich
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Question about intermittent wipers

"351CJ" <351CJ@msn.com> wrote in news:zWfHf.7513$_D1.6601@trnddc03:

> In that vintage of Ford Truck the difference is just a little pigtail
> with small black box that plugs between the intermittent switch (they
> are different) and the either/or rest of the wiring harness.


Well, that shouldn't be hard to find, if the Mustang used the same system.
Makes sense, as they wouldn't have to use a different wiring harness that
way. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Question about intermittent wipers

On 11 Feb 2006 17:45:06 GMT, elaich <a@b.c> wrote:

>"351CJ" <351CJ@msn.com> wrote in news:zWfHf.7513$_D1.6601@trnddc03:
>
>> In that vintage of Ford Truck the difference is just a little pigtail
>> with small black box that plugs between the intermittent switch (they
>> are different) and the either/or rest of the wiring harness.

>
>Well, that shouldn't be hard to find, if the Mustang used the same system.
>Makes sense, as they wouldn't have to use a different wiring harness that
>way. Thanks.

Not my forte', so this may not make sense, but here is what I am doing
with my 65 Mustang. Maybe it will give you some idea where you need to
go with it.

I'm changing my 65 to intrers uses the original 2 spd motor, and a
switch from 80-91 Ford P/U, with the black box attached. A newer motor
from a 71/72 pickup came with the switch assembly. I have not
installed as yet, but now have the parts necessary

In my case, for the old motor to work with the new switch, I had to
swap the plugs from the new motor to the old so that they matched the
switch and wiring.

When you look at the wiring, 89-91 P/U is 6 wire, and 78-97 is 7 wire.
--

Spike
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2, Vintage Burgundy
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;
Vintage 40 16" rims w/225/50ZR16 KDWS BF Goodrich
gForce Radial T/As, Cobra drop; surround sound
audio-video...
See my ride at....
Feb 2004- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpg
Feb 2004- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpg
Jul 2005- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/d..._11_05_002.jpg
Jul 2005- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/E...ebuild_006.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
Garth Almgren
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Question about intermittent wipers

Around 2/10/2006 10:58 PM, 351CJ wrote:

> "elaich" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:4559s5F4vjhvU1@individual.net...
>> One of the features I miss most on the '80 Capri I just bought is
>> intermittent wipers.
>>
>> Now I have access to a wrecked '85 Stang that has them. I know I have to
>> change the switch and wiring harness. That part is easy.
>>
>> However, I also know this thing has to have a "brain" somewhere. I don't
>> have a clue what I'm looking for.
>>
>> 1. Does anybody know where the brain or black box is loacted, and what it
>> looks like?
>>
>> 2. Do I have to swap the wiper motor, or will the '80 motor work?
>>

>
> In that vintage of Ford Truck the difference is just a little pigtail with
> small black box that plugs between the intermittent switch (they are
> different) and the either/or rest of the wiring harness.


That's exactly it. I've done this with my Mustang. Elaich is looking for
an actual black box attached under the steering column, and the original
motor will work fine.

It's got two pigtails that plug directly into the wiring harness, and
the only "gotcha" I ran into is that there is an extra ground wire that
needs to be hooked up to make the delay timer work. See my post on the
topic from 2002: http://tinyurl.com/e4bwq



--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
| RAMFM Merchandise: http://www.cafeshops.com/ramfm |
\ ~~ Ventis secundis, tene cursum ~~ /
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.