signal control '80 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 00:17   #1 (permalink)
D.K.R.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
signal control '80

The signal lever on my son's '80 is broken. It still signals right, but once
it's out of the right turn it just drops down. To signal left it has to be
held down quite firmly. I imagine that it will stop working soon.

What kind of a job is this? Is it something I should attempt on my own or
should I send it out?

Thanks


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2005, 00:17   #2 (permalink)
Garth Almgren
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: signal control '80

Around 3/7/2005 4:32 PM, D.K.R. wrote:

> The signal lever on my son's '80 is broken. It still signals right, but once
> it's out of the right turn it just drops down. To signal left it has to be
> held down quite firmly. I imagine that it will stop working soon.


Yes, yes it will. Been there, done that.


> What kind of a job is this? Is it something I should attempt on my own or
> should I send it out?



A shop would probably charge you an hour minimum. It's about 10 minutes
worth of work for someone with a Phillips head screwdriver and the
knowledge required to properly use said screwdriver. :)

Undo the four or so screws that hold on the plastic steering column
shroud, and the turn signal switch is easily accessible, held on with a
couple more screws.


Check out junkyards for a replacement switch assembly, but try and get
one that has the same part number. Many '80s Fords had physically
interchangeable parts, but they don't always do exactly the same things.

As an example, when my turn signal assembly died, it took me a while to
find a junkyard replacement that A) had a horn switch, B) had a
high-beam switch, and C) wasn't already or nearly broken. As it was, I
got one from either a Tempo or a LTD and lost my flash-to-pass function.


--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
| RAMFM Merchandise: http://www.cafeshops.com/ramfm |
\ Mail pgp@v6stang.com for secure reply information /
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 00:18   #3 (permalink)
D.K.R.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: signal control '80

Thanks very much.

I'll send the boy to "pick-a-part" tomorrow.


"Garth Almgren" <nospam@v6stang.com> wrote in message
news:394craF5u7gfpU1@individual.net...
> Around 3/7/2005 4:32 PM, D.K.R. wrote:
>
>> The signal lever on my son's '80 is broken. It still signals right, but
>> once it's out of the right turn it just drops down. To signal left it has
>> to be held down quite firmly. I imagine that it will stop working soon.

>
> Yes, yes it will. Been there, done that.
>
>
>> What kind of a job is this? Is it something I should attempt on my own or
>> should I send it out?

>
>
> A shop would probably charge you an hour minimum. It's about 10 minutes
> worth of work for someone with a Phillips head screwdriver and the
> knowledge required to properly use said screwdriver. :)
>
> Undo the four or so screws that hold on the plastic steering column
> shroud, and the turn signal switch is easily accessible, held on with a
> couple more screws.
>
>
> Check out junkyards for a replacement switch assembly, but try and get one
> that has the same part number. Many '80s Fords had physically
> interchangeable parts, but they don't always do exactly the same things.
>
> As an example, when my turn signal assembly died, it took me a while to
> find a junkyard replacement that A) had a horn switch, B) had a high-beam
> switch, and C) wasn't already or nearly broken. As it was, I got one from
> either a Tempo or a LTD and lost my flash-to-pass function.
>
>
> --
> / Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
> | My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
> | RAMFM Merchandise: http://www.cafeshops.com/ramfm |
> \ Mail pgp@v6stang.com for secure reply information /



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 00:18   #4 (permalink)
Mark C.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: signal control '80

Tell him to pick me up a rebuildable 460 and a c-6 trans while he's there.

--
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank
what?".





"D.K.R." <stignasty.removethis@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:up7Xd.13147$KI2.6285@clgrps12...
> Thanks very much.
>
> I'll send the boy to "pick-a-part" tomorrow.
>
>
> "Garth Almgren" <nospam@v6stang.com> wrote in message
> news:394craF5u7gfpU1@individual.net...
>> Around 3/7/2005 4:32 PM, D.K.R. wrote:
>>
>>> The signal lever on my son's '80 is broken. It still signals right, but
>>> once it's out of the right turn it just drops down. To signal left it
>>> has to be held down quite firmly. I imagine that it will stop working
>>> soon.

>>
>> Yes, yes it will. Been there, done that.
>>
>>
>>> What kind of a job is this? Is it something I should attempt on my own
>>> or should I send it out?

>>
>>
>> A shop would probably charge you an hour minimum. It's about 10 minutes
>> worth of work for someone with a Phillips head screwdriver and the
>> knowledge required to properly use said screwdriver. :)
>>
>> Undo the four or so screws that hold on the plastic steering column
>> shroud, and the turn signal switch is easily accessible, held on with a
>> couple more screws.
>>
>>
>> Check out junkyards for a replacement switch assembly, but try and get
>> one that has the same part number. Many '80s Fords had physically
>> interchangeable parts, but they don't always do exactly the same things.
>>
>> As an example, when my turn signal assembly died, it took me a while to
>> find a junkyard replacement that A) had a horn switch, B) had a high-beam
>> switch, and C) wasn't already or nearly broken. As it was, I got one from
>> either a Tempo or a LTD and lost my flash-to-pass function.
>>
>>
>> --
>> / Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
>> | My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
>> | RAMFM Merchandise: http://www.cafeshops.com/ramfm |
>> \ Mail pgp@v6stang.com for secure reply information /

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 00:18   #5 (permalink)
CobraJet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: signal control '80

In article <1KmdnWFiu7SXg7DfRVn-vg@comcast.com>, Mark C.
<mustango656@comcast.net> wrote:

> Tell him to pick me up a rebuildable 460 and a c-6 trans while he's there.


Come to AZ and I'll get you one right now. '79 high deck out of a
1-ton complete and a C6. Guy's been trying to bring it over here, but I
have 4 engines ahead of it to take down.

--
CobraJet
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 00:22   #6 (permalink)
D.K.R.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: signal control '80

Thanks again,

Went to the pick-a-part and found the exact model first try. I don't even
think it took 10 minutes.

DKR


"Garth Almgren" <nospam@v6stang.com> wrote in message
news:394craF5u7gfpU1@individual.net...
> Around 3/7/2005 4:32 PM, D.K.R. wrote:
>
>> The signal lever on my son's '80 is broken. It still signals right, but
>> once it's out of the right turn it just drops down. To signal left it has
>> to be held down quite firmly. I imagine that it will stop working soon.

>
> Yes, yes it will. Been there, done that.
>
>
>> What kind of a job is this? Is it something I should attempt on my own or
>> should I send it out?

>
>
> A shop would probably charge you an hour minimum. It's about 10 minutes
> worth of work for someone with a Phillips head screwdriver and the
> knowledge required to properly use said screwdriver. :)
>
> Undo the four or so screws that hold on the plastic steering column
> shroud, and the turn signal switch is easily accessible, held on with a
> couple more screws.
>
>
> Check out junkyards for a replacement switch assembly, but try and get one
> that has the same part number. Many '80s Fords had physically
> interchangeable parts, but they don't always do exactly the same things.
>
> As an example, when my turn signal assembly died, it took me a while to
> find a junkyard replacement that A) had a horn switch, B) had a high-beam
> switch, and C) wasn't already or nearly broken. As it was, I got one from
> either a Tempo or a LTD and lost my flash-to-pass function.
>
>
> --
> / Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
> | My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
> | RAMFM Merchandise: http://www.cafeshops.com/ramfm |
> \ Mail pgp@v6stang.com for secure reply information /



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DTC Codes fordel Ford Focus Forum 8 02-21-2009 23:22
US:Ford loses bet on GT part; difficult casting on control arm led to pricey recall Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 0 02-21-2005 05:20
Territory Launch (Comprehensive) RPO83 Territory 25 05-03-2004 04:56
U.S.A.: Ford vehicles at the New York Auto Show Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 5 04-08-2004 10:11
Understanding Engine Management - Part 1 Dan [Sac] V6 and Hot4 Tech 0 12-11-2001 13:08

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:31.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.