Synthetic Blends - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2005, 00:01   #1 (permalink)
BradandBrooks
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Synthetic Blends

Q:

How much synthetic oil is really in a synthetic blend oil? I saw on the Havoline website that they say between 3 and 10%. That seems really low. And for the price? It would be better, and cheaper to throw in one litre of full synthetic oil in with the rest of the dino oil in your crankcase.

Is synthetic blend a rip? Sure seems like it to me.

Brad

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Synthetic Blends

"BradandBrooks" <BradandBrooks@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Q:
>
> How much synthetic oil is really in a synthetic blend oil? I saw on
> the Havoline website that they say between 3 and 10%. That seems
> really low. And for the price? It would be better, and cheaper to
> throw in one litre of full synthetic oil in with the rest of the dino
> oil in your crankcase.
>


Uh, yeah. It would

Even better to run at least half/half... oh he!!, why not just use ALL
Mobil 1 at the change and top off with Dino if needed.

> Is synthetic blend a rip? Sure seems like it to me.


Which is why I never bought it... it's something Pennzoil might do. But
Castrol beat 'em to it.

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Synthetic Blends

Why would anyone buy that stuff? Might as well go for a "bulk oil"
change for $19
at your local rapid lube pit.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:01   #4 (permalink)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Synthetic Blends


<michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:1131322634.293138.214390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Why would anyone buy that stuff? Might as well go for a "bulk oil"
> change for $19
> at your local rapid lube pit.


You could, or you could change the oil yourself with a high quality
oil and filter for about $10-11. Im speaking Castrol, Valvoline, or
a similar good dino oil.

With the new dino formulations, I dont believe the synthetics offer
a great performance advantage and no price advantage.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
Rich
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Synthetic Blends

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:47:41 GMT, <HLS@nospam.nix> wrote:

>
><michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>news:1131322634.293138.214390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>> Why would anyone buy that stuff? Might as well go for a "bulk oil"
>> change for $19
>> at your local rapid lube pit.

>
>You could, or you could change the oil yourself with a high quality
>oil and filter for about $10-11. Im speaking Castrol, Valvoline, or
>a similar good dino oil.
>
>With the new dino formulations, I dont believe the synthetics offer
>a great performance advantage and no price advantage.
>


I like synthetics. When you start in very cold weather, you don't get
that sluggish effect you get from natural oil whose viscosity changes
rapidly with temperture.
-Rich

If Blu-Ray and HD-DVD require players to be hooked-up to
the internet to obtain "permission" for playback (like the
DIVX horror of the late 1990s) people shouldn't buy or rent
the players OR any of the disks. That incarnation of a high
definition format MUST die.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 20:01   #6 (permalink)
WindsorFox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Synthetic Blends

HLS@nospam.nix wrote:
> <michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:1131322634.293138.214390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Why would anyone buy that stuff? Might as well go for a "bulk oil"
>>change for $19
>>at your local rapid lube pit.

>
>
> You could, or you could change the oil yourself with a high quality
> oil and filter for about $10-11. Im speaking Castrol, Valvoline, or
> a similar good dino oil.
>
> With the new dino formulations, I dont believe the synthetics offer
> a great performance advantage and no price advantage.
>
>



Well that's pretty much way incorrect.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:01   #7 (permalink)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Synthetic Blends


"WindsorFox" <windsorfox@NOSPAM.cox.net> wrote in message
news:EoUbf.27$4n5.23@dukeread01...
>
> >
> > You could, or you could change the oil yourself with a high quality
> > oil and filter for about $10-11. Im speaking Castrol, Valvoline, or
> > a similar good dino oil.
> >
> > With the new dino formulations, I dont believe the synthetics offer
> > a great performance advantage and no price advantage.

>
>
>
> Well that's pretty much way incorrect.


No, actually it isn't. This thread has been beaten to death, and few or
none
will change their opinions, and that is fine with me. Do what you like.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
WindsorFox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Synthetic Blends

HLS@nospam.nix wrote:
> "WindsorFox" <windsorfox@NOSPAM.cox.net> wrote in message
> news:EoUbf.27$4n5.23@dukeread01...
>
>>>You could, or you could change the oil yourself with a high quality
>>>oil and filter for about $10-11. Im speaking Castrol, Valvoline, or
>>>a similar good dino oil.
>>>
>>>With the new dino formulations, I dont believe the synthetics offer
>>>a great performance advantage and no price advantage.

>>
>>
>>
>> Well that's pretty much way incorrect.

>
>
> No, actually it isn't. This thread has been beaten to death, and few or
> none
> will change their opinions, and that is fine with me. Do what you like.
>
>



Actually it quite is. There is mounds of scientific proof from
numerous places. Even Mobil has begun to lenthen drain intervals with
their synthetic. Why did Calloway put it in his Vette? Take a look at
some oil sample results sometime. This is not an opinion, it is proven
fact that even the worst synthetics are more stable than the best
conventional oils.

--
"Let me tell you once more:
you're the one I adore.
You're my C64!!!!" -- Press Play On Tape.

C=
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 20:01   #9 (permalink)
John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Synthetic Blends

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:13:53 -0600, WindsorFox
<windsorfox@NOSPAM.cox.net> wrote:

>HLS@nospam.nix wrote:
>> "WindsorFox" <windsorfox@NOSPAM.cox.net> wrote in message
>> news:EoUbf.27$4n5.23@dukeread01...
>>
>>>>You could, or you could change the oil yourself with a high quality
>>>>oil and filter for about $10-11. Im speaking Castrol, Valvoline, or
>>>>a similar good dino oil.
>>>>
>>>>With the new dino formulations, I dont believe the synthetics offer
>>>>a great performance advantage and no price advantage.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Well that's pretty much way incorrect.

>>
>>
>> No, actually it isn't. This thread has been beaten to death, and few or
>> none
>> will change their opinions, and that is fine with me. Do what you like.
>>
>>

>
>
> Actually it quite is. There is mounds of scientific proof from
>numerous places. Even Mobil has begun to lenthen drain intervals with
>their synthetic. Why did Calloway put it in his Vette? Take a look at
>some oil sample results sometime. This is not an opinion, it is proven
>fact that even the worst synthetics are more stable than the best
>conventional oils.


I have a friend that never changes his oil. Every 3,000 miles he puts
on a new filter and tops it off with Mobil 1. He's done this for
years now. This is probably equivalent to changing the oil every 15
to 30 K miles, depending on how much oil the filter holds.

John
'69 Mach 1 390 Toploader Acapulco Blue
ThunderSnake #59
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 23:01   #10 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Synthetic Blends

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:17:35 -0500, John
<mooresjc@chartermi.removethisandonedot.net> wrote:


>
>I have a friend that never changes his oil. Every 3,000 miles he puts
>on a new filter and tops it off with Mobil 1. He's done this for
>years now. This is probably equivalent to changing the oil every 15
>to 30 K miles, depending on how much oil the filter holds.
>
>John
>'69 Mach 1 390 Toploader Acapulco Blue
>ThunderSnake #59

Kind of a shame really. How many gazillion dinos gave their lives to
become oil and your friend gets miserly... : 0 )
--
Spike
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2, Vintage Burgundy
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;
Vintage 40 16" rims w/225/50ZR16 KDWS BF Goodrich
gForce Radial T/As, Cobra drop; surround sound
audio-video...
See my ride at....
Feb 2004- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpg
Feb 2004- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpg
Jul 2005- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/d..._11_05_002.jpg
Jul 2005- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/E...ebuild_006.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.