trouble starting when sitting for a while - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
systemnate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
trouble starting when sitting for a while

when I try to start my '98 Mustang, it takes way too long, it cranks like
it normally would, but continues to do so for about 5-8 seconds. It only
does this when it sits for a while (prolly more than about an hour or so)
once I get started, I can shut if off and it will start perfectly normal.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . . .

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-10-2005, 09:01   #2 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: trouble starting when sitting for a while

So you are saying that if it sits 2 days... it has to crank a long time?

When was the last time you went for a tune-up? Spark plugs changed?...
start there.



"systemnate" <systemnate@gmail.com> wrote:

> when I try to start my '98 Mustang, it takes way too long, it cranks
> like it normally would, but continues to do so for about 5-8 seconds.
> It only does this when it sits for a while (prolly more than about an
> hour or so) once I get started, I can shut if off and it will start
> perfectly normal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . . .
>
>




--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:01   #3 (permalink)
Hairy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: trouble starting when sitting for a while


"systemnate" <systemnate@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:9030391af877e5ab5edda31128ba10b7@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
> when I try to start my '98 Mustang, it takes way too long, it cranks like
> it normally would, but continues to do so for about 5-8 seconds. It only
> does this when it sits for a while (prolly more than about an hour or so)
> once I get started, I can shut if off and it will start perfectly normal.
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . . .
>


Sounds like your fuel pressure is bleeding off somewhere.

Dave


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:01   #4 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: trouble starting when sitting for a while

"Hairy" <hairy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
> "systemnate" <systemnate@gmail.com> wrote
>> when I try to start my '98 Mustang, it takes way too long, it cranks
>> like it normally would, but continues to do so for about 5-8 seconds.
>> It only does this when it sits for a while (prolly more than about
>> an hour or so) once I get started, I can shut if off and it will
>> start perfectly normal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . . .
>>

>
> Sounds like your fuel pressure is bleeding off somewhere.
>



Uh.. no.

To find if that is the problem, simply cycle the fuel pump a couple times
before cranking, by switching ign on and off.

the problem MAY be leaking injector or Fuel press regulator... but not
likely if it cranks long time after a couple days.

The OP (orig poster) needs to answer a few more questions such as whether
it does this after sitting LONG term and if there are ANY other changes
in how it drives.

This should have been raised on "alt.autos.ford" as it's an engine
problem... I'm cross-posting this reply there.
Though Jim Warman reads both
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01   #5 (permalink)
Hairy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: trouble starting when sitting for a while


"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
news:Xns970A7112C5421pettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
> "Hairy" <hairy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >
> > "systemnate" <systemnate@gmail.com> wrote
> >> when I try to start my '98 Mustang, it takes way too long, it cranks
> >> like it normally would, but continues to do so for about 5-8 seconds.
> >> It only does this when it sits for a while (prolly more than about
> >> an hour or so) once I get started, I can shut if off and it will
> >> start perfectly normal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . . .
> >>

> >
> > Sounds like your fuel pressure is bleeding off somewhere.
> >

>
>
> Uh.. no.
>
> To find if that is the problem, simply cycle the fuel pump a couple times
> before cranking, by switching ign on and off.
>
> the problem MAY be leaking injector or Fuel press regulator... but not
> likely if it cranks long time after a couple days.
>
> The OP (orig poster) needs to answer a few more questions such as whether
> it does this after sitting LONG term and if there are ANY other changes
> in how it drives.
>
> This should have been raised on "alt.autos.ford" as it's an engine
> problem... I'm cross-posting this reply there.
> Though Jim Warman reads both
> --


I based my opinion on the information given. You based yours on ...something
else.
But that's ok, this is usenet.

Dave


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 13:01   #6 (permalink)
systemnate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: trouble starting when sitting for a while

It has trouble when it sits just for a few hours, not days. Like if I wake
up in the morning I will have trouble starting and if I drive to the store
turn it off get out and come back it will start fine. When driving there
is nothing unusual about the cars performance or anything unusual.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 13:01   #7 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: trouble starting when sitting for a while

"systemnate" <systemnate@gmail.com> wrote:

> It has trouble when it sits just for a few hours, not days. Like if I
> wake up in the morning I will have trouble starting and if I drive to
> the store turn it off get out and come back it will start fine. When
> driving there is nothing unusual about the cars performance or
> anything unusual.
>
>


then try cycling the fuel pump a few times, before cranking. if it
starts quickly, then it's a pressure leakdown problem.

If not, next morning, try flooring the accel as you crank. If it starts
quicker then, it's delivering too much fuel.
ELSE
pump the accel a couple times as you crank, starts quicker then...
delivering too little.

As I said before, the FIRST thing to do is make sure the plugs are good
and fuel and air filter, as well.



--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 13:01   #8 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: trouble starting when sitting for a while


And go by Autozone (or wherever) and have the codes read out.

Insist on getting the codes, not the definitions!

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:01   #9 (permalink)
bradtx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: trouble starting when sitting for a while

systemnate, While a tune-up may be in order, I'd start with the fuel
filter and the in-tank fuel pump isn't excluded...fuel pressure is
35-45 PSI. Has it happened with more than one tank of gas from
different stations?

bradtx

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:35.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.