Waterpump on 351C - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:20   #1 (permalink)
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Waterpump on 351C

I'm replacing my water pump on a 1972 Ford 351C-4V with a Flowkooler
and Robertshaw thermostat. The existing pump and replacement pump has
a threaded connection next to the heater hose for what almost looks
like a vacuum distribution outlet that would be found on an intake
manifold, with three connections. Two of the connections are connected
together with a loop of small-diameter vacuum hose, and the other has a
small-diameter vacuum hose that just hangs there and is not connected
to anything. Any idea what this distribution outlet is for or what it
does? Seems kind of meaningless with two outlets connected together
and the third with a hose that just hangs there.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:20   #2 (permalink)
TM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Waterpump on 351C

Originally these went to the intake vacuum and the dual diapraghm on your
distributor. It's to retard the spark advance until the engine comes up to
running temp.


"Joe" <lanser1996@joltmail.net> wrote in message
news:1118409755.346839.179480@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> I'm replacing my water pump on a 1972 Ford 351C-4V with a Flowkooler
> and Robertshaw thermostat. The existing pump and replacement pump has
> a threaded connection next to the heater hose for what almost looks
> like a vacuum distribution outlet that would be found on an intake
> manifold, with three connections. Two of the connections are connected
> together with a loop of small-diameter vacuum hose, and the other has a
> small-diameter vacuum hose that just hangs there and is not connected
> to anything. Any idea what this distribution outlet is for or what it
> does? Seems kind of meaningless with two outlets connected together
> and the third with a hose that just hangs there.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:20   #3 (permalink)
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Waterpump on 351C

But it's on the waterpump, not the intake manifold. Would the
waterpump create such vacuum? Since it communicates with the vanes of
the pump, it appears that coolant would flow through it.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:20   #4 (permalink)
Big Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Waterpump on 351C


"Joe" <lanser1996@joltmail.net> wrote in message
news:1118428446.373348.182830@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> But it's on the waterpump, not the intake manifold. Would the
> waterpump create such vacuum? Since it communicates with the vanes of
> the pump, it appears that coolant would flow through it.
>


It's a temperature controlled vacuum switch. The water pump has nothing to
do with creating vacuum. One of the hoses goes to a vacuum port on the
intake.

Al


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:20   #5 (permalink)
one80out@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Waterpump on 351C

Big Al wrote:
> "Joe" <lanser1996@joltmail.net> wrote in message
> news:1118428446.373348.182830@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > But it's on the waterpump, not the intake manifold. Would the
> > waterpump create such vacuum? Since it communicates with the vanes of
> > the pump, it appears that coolant would flow through it.
> >

>
> It's a temperature controlled vacuum switch. The water pump has nothing to
> do with creating vacuum. One of the hoses goes to a vacuum port on the
> intake.
>

To clarify a little further, the vacuum can on the OE distributor can
either retard the timing or advance it. In a non-smogged engine, you'd
only want to add vacuum advance to your base timing, so the vacuum
source would be connected straight to the can. But for emissions
control the engineers wanted to retard the base timing on a cold
engine, then switch over to normal vacuum advance at operating
temperatures. So they used this switch you're talking about, which is
shaped like a 3-legged "F." One leg connects to a vacuum source. One
connects to the retard side of the vacuum can, and the third one
connects to the advance side. Inside the "F" is an air valve, which
selects which side of the can will be exposed to vacuum. With a cold
engine, the retard side is selected. When the engine warms up, the
valve moves to close the retard side and open the connnection to the
advance side.

What you observed on your engine, I'm guessing, is that a previous
owner wanted to disconnect the vacuum can entirely, but felt uneasy to
leave the two connectors open. So he/she connected them with the loop
that you observed. Somewhere along the line the hose to the vacuum
source came loose, so that explains the hose not connected to anything.
Or it could be some other variation on this theme. The thing is, to
disable all that needed to be done was to disconnect the vacuum source
and plug it with one of those little neoprene caps. As it stands now,
it sounds like you've got a vacuum leak, which will allow unfiltered
air into the engine, and will also lean out the mixture, potentially
causing rough running, pre-ignition, and damage to the pistons.

So I would definitely look around for a vacuum source not connected to
anything and connect it to the advance side of the vacuum can.

180 Out

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.