What would happen.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 01:20   #1 (permalink)
RichA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
What would happen....

If you introduced an induction device (a scoop, if you will)
on the exhaust system, say beyond the cats? It would draw in
air at high speed, creating a vacuum and would draw the exhaust
faster than the exhaust would normally exit. Of course, the exhaust
system would have to be larger at that point, with higher flow
mufflers, but I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to this?

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 01:20   #2 (permalink)
ygotit@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What would happen....

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:42:01 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

>If you introduced an induction device (a scoop, if you will)
>on the exhaust system, say beyond the cats? It would draw in
>air at high speed, creating a vacuum and would draw the exhaust
>faster than the exhaust would normally exit. Of course, the exhaust
>system would have to be larger at that point, with higher flow
>mufflers, but I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to this?


what for
think about it


hurc ast
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:20   #3 (permalink)
Michael Johnson, PE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What would happen....

ygotit@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:42:01 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>
>>If you introduced an induction device (a scoop, if you will)
>>on the exhaust system, say beyond the cats? It would draw in
>>air at high speed, creating a vacuum and would draw the exhaust
>>faster than the exhaust would normally exit. Of course, the exhaust
>>system would have to be larger at that point, with higher flow
>>mufflers, but I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to this?

>
>
> what for
> think about it


Actually there is an exhaust scavenging system that can be used for
evacuating the crankcase. The tubes are typically welded into the
exhaust pipe right after the manifolds or headers. It's not the best
solution but it does work to a certain degree. Here's an example:

http://tinyurl.com/xizq
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:20   #4 (permalink)
one80out@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What would happen....

The psi of the exhaust would exceed the psi in the scoop's intake, such
that air would be coming OUT of the intake, not IN. In other words,
you would only have created another outlet for the exhaust gasses.

If you're interested, here is a great technical article by Dave Vizard
from the May Popular Hot Rodding:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...exh/index.html.
Among other things, the article explains that in an optimized (i.e.,
race) engine, there are actually five cycles, not four. The "fifth"
cycle occurs during valve overlap, when negative pressure waves (i.e.,
vacuum) travels up from the header collector to the exhaust port and
helps draw the fuel/air mixture into the intake port.

180 Out

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:20   #5 (permalink)
66 6F HCS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What would happen....


<one80out@hotmail.com> wrote
> If you're interested, here is a great technical article by Dave Vizard
> from the May Popular Hot Rodding:
> http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...exh/index.html.


Great article. Gave me some ideas for when I redo my exhaust from the
headers back.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57
http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.