429 or 460 Casting Numbers? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2005, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
aspico@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
429 or 460 Casting Numbers?

Need some help experts! Have a 70 j code Torino cobrajet. Trouble is
can't figure out what the motor is FOR SURE - 429 or 460? Heads all
have the 429 numbers. Block has the following number - DIVE 8015 AA.
Can anyone tell me what it means for sure?? It also has a 460 casting
aabove and to the right of the waterpomp as well as a 13 above that????
What does it all mean????

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-16-2005, 12:01   #2 (permalink)
Doc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 429 or 460 Casting Numbers?

The number on the block is the part no. D1VE. You have a 1971, Lincoln 460.
This is not the stock engine. This is what it means.
D= 70's decade
1= first year of decade
V= Lincoln car line
E= Engine

8015= engine part no.

AA= engineering change level (A original, B first change....etc.)

460 on block means it is a 460 engine.

<aspico@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126662465.365587.249120@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Need some help experts! Have a 70 j code Torino cobrajet. Trouble is
> can't figure out what the motor is FOR SURE - 429 or 460? Heads all
> have the 429 numbers. Block has the following number - DIVE 8015 AA.
> Can anyone tell me what it means for sure?? It also has a 460 casting
> aabove and to the right of the waterpomp as well as a 13 above that????
> What does it all mean????
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
66 6F HCS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 429 or 460 Casting Numbers?


"Doc" <kf@beth.net> wrote
> 1= first year of decade


Not one to pick nits, but the first year of a decade ends in zero. :)
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57
http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
Wound Up
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 429 or 460 Casting Numbers?

66 6F HCS wrote:
> "Doc" <kf@beth.net> wrote
>
>>1= first year of decade

>
>
> Not one to pick nits, but the first year of a decade ends in zero. :)


It's the Y2K argument redux. It is true that 2001 was the first year of
the 21st Century, because 1 BC predeeded 1 AD, but I agree with you on
decades. The two don't exactly reconcile, now do they?

And actually, I don't think the 70s ended until about 1982.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Bill Beyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 429 or 460 Casting Numbers?

460 cast into the block does NOT mean it's a 460 engine. It could still be a
429.

D1VE could be a 429 or 460 since the both take the same block. The only way
to tell if it's a 429 or a 460 is to look at the casting code on the
crankshaft. A 429 crank will have a 4Ux casting code. A 460 will have a 2Yx
code.

--
TS#10

"Doc" <kf@beth.net> wrote in message
news:2rEWe.1770$mw5.1613@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> The number on the block is the part no. D1VE. You have a 1971, Lincoln

460.
> This is not the stock engine. This is what it means.
> D= 70's decade
> 1= first year of decade
> V= Lincoln car line
> E= Engine
>
> 8015= engine part no.
>
> AA= engineering change level (A original, B first change....etc.)
>
> 460 on block means it is a 460 engine.
>
> <aspico@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1126662465.365587.249120@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > Need some help experts! Have a 70 j code Torino cobrajet. Trouble is
> > can't figure out what the motor is FOR SURE - 429 or 460? Heads all
> > have the 429 numbers. Block has the following number - DIVE 8015 AA.
> > Can anyone tell me what it means for sure?? It also has a 460 casting
> > aabove and to the right of the waterpomp as well as a 13 above that????
> > What does it all mean????
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
keller428@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 429 or 460 Casting Numbers?


Whew! And for a minute there I thought my 428SCJ was a 352!

-Mike.

Thundersnake #5

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:01   #7 (permalink)
JohnJohnsn@mindspring.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 429 or 460 Casting Numbers?

66 6F HCS wrote:

> "Doc" <kf@beth.net> wrote
>
>> 1= first year of decade

>
> Not one to pick nits, but the first year of a decade ends in zero. :)


Actually not.

The _last_ year of a decade ends in zero.

Zero is a place holder, and the first instance of it performing that
function is 10.

There was no "Year Zero" (despite what Hollywierd says <g>).

<http://www.legionxxiv.org/dateyeartime/>

> --
> Scott W.
> '66 HCS Mustang 289
> '68 Ranchero 500 302
> '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
> ThunderSnake #57
> http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:57.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.