Engine/Tranny Fluid Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:10   #1 (permalink)
Willis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Engine/Tranny Fluid Question


Good afternoon all,

Two questions:

Going to change out the oil in my Galaxie (specs are at the link below
on the setup and also for the transmission (see 2nd question):

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/280751/2

Right now the previous owner said he had 10w50 put into the car
(changed in October '04 with less than 2000 miles put on since), and
suggested 20w50 - any thoughts or available references that give oil
choice guidance based on the specs listed above? The car's engine &
tranny are not original so I don't know true mileage for each. How
about brands (Royal Purple?)??? Should I move to synthetic or keep
with standard oil?

My second question is on the transmission - does anyone know how much
transmission fluid I need to use with the B&M (see link above)? Since
I'm not sure when the last tranny fluid change was done, are there
other steps I should take to check/clean/glance over?

Thanks!

Jason

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
66 6F HCS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine/Tranny Fluid Question


"Willis" <callmewillis@yahoo.com> wrote
> Right now the previous owner said he had 10w50 put into the car


Jesus, I didn't think they made that broad a range. I wouldn't put that
sludge in any of my motors. I used 20/50 to break in my OT motor then
switched to 10/30. I run 5/30 in my other OT motor with a rebuild last year.
Have you ever seen how SLOOOOWWWW the 50 weights pour? Now imagine how damn
long that stuff takes to pump to the top of your motor while the whole top
ends burns itself waiting for that molasses to reach it. YECH!

>Should I move to synthetic or keep
> with standard oil?


As long as you change it regularly, I'd just run Dino oil. It also sepends
on how miles are on the motor. I'm switching to synth when my motors reach
10,000 miles.

> My second question is on the transmission - does anyone know how much
> transmission fluid I need to use with the B&M (see link above)?


Until the full line is reached on the dipstick? 7 quarts for a stock pan, I
dunno if the B&M pan is any deeper.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57
http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:01   #3 (permalink)
Mark C.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine/Tranny Fluid Question

Don't forget to drain the converter.

--
Mark
--
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank
what?". " Val Kilmer in Real Genius.





"66 6F HCS" <92bottledance_spammit_@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:As-dnTqkCZW39TbfRVn-vg@comcast.com...
>
> "Willis" <callmewillis@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Right now the previous owner said he had 10w50 put into the car

>
> Jesus, I didn't think they made that broad a range. I wouldn't put that
> sludge in any of my motors. I used 20/50 to break in my OT motor then
> switched to 10/30. I run 5/30 in my other OT motor with a rebuild last
> year. Have you ever seen how SLOOOOWWWW the 50 weights pour? Now imagine
> how damn long that stuff takes to pump to the top of your motor while the
> whole top ends burns itself waiting for that molasses to reach it. YECH!
>
>>Should I move to synthetic or keep
>> with standard oil?

>
> As long as you change it regularly, I'd just run Dino oil. It also sepends
> on how miles are on the motor. I'm switching to synth when my motors reach
> 10,000 miles.
>
>> My second question is on the transmission - does anyone know how much
>> transmission fluid I need to use with the B&M (see link above)?

>
> Until the full line is reached on the dipstick? 7 quarts for a stock pan,
> I dunno if the B&M pan is any deeper.
> --
> Scott W.
> '66 HCS Mustang 289
> '68 Ranchero 500 302
> '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
> ThunderSnake #57
> http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
Willis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine/Tranny Fluid Question


Mark,

With the B&M 2400 Holeshot Convertor, how do I go about
draining/changing the fluid within? I went to B&M's site and couldn't
find much information - do the convertors use conventional motor oil
(matched to whatever I'm putting into the engine, like 20w50, etc), or
something like transmission fluid?

Also - can someone explain how to adjust timing and fuel/air mix on the
Holley 4 barrel? I'm trying the process of elimination to take care of
an overheating problem. Also, with a 427 set for mild/moderate street,
what's an appropriate engine idle speed? Right now with the warm
engine I'm idling around 750 rpm.

Once again pics are here - http://photos.yahoo.com/callmewillis - you
can see some detailed pics of the engine setup.

Thanks,

Jason

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 17:01   #5 (permalink)
David M
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine/Tranny Fluid Question

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:04:34 -0700, Willis rearranged some electrons to
form:

>
> Mark,
>
> With the B&M 2400 Holeshot Convertor, how do I go about
> draining/changing the fluid within? I went to B&M's site and couldn't
> find much information - do the convertors use conventional motor oil
> (matched to whatever I'm putting into the engine, like 20w50, etc), or
> something like transmission fluid?


Ummm... no, it gets transmission fluid pumped into them by the
transmission.

>
> Also - can someone explain how to adjust timing and fuel/air mix on the
> Holley 4 barrel? I'm trying the process of elimination to take care of
> an overheating problem. Also, with a 427 set for mild/moderate street,
> what's an appropriate engine idle speed? Right now with the warm
> engine I'm idling around 750 rpm.


Ummm... you don't adjust timing with the carb, you turn the distributor.

Perhaps you need to acquire a service manual.

>
> Once again pics are here - http://photos.yahoo.com/callmewillis - you
> can see some detailed pics of the engine setup.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason


--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
T/S 53
sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 15 days 13:40

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
Willis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine/Tranny Fluid Question


Well, when the guy said 'drain the convertor' I wasn't sure what he
meant. So is it something that never gets drained, or do I have to
pull the whole thing apart?

With respect to the timing and fuel/air mix, I was aware that they were
separate issues (not all dependent on the carb - just two issues that
may help the overheating). I just have not been able to find any
information on timing or mix for ford fe 427s. I have the service
manual too, but the largest engine covered in mine is a 406.

Thanks,

Jason

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 21:01   #7 (permalink)
David M
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine/Tranny Fluid Question

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:37:58 -0700, Willis rearranged some electrons to
form:

>
> Well, when the guy said 'drain the convertor' I wasn't sure what he
> meant. So is it something that never gets drained, or do I have to
> pull the whole thing apart?


Some have a drain plug. If not, you have to keep draining the pan
and putting fresh fluid in it a few times.

>
> With respect to the timing and fuel/air mix, I was aware that they were
> separate issues (not all dependent on the carb - just two issues that
> may help the overheating). I just have not been able to find any
> information on timing or mix for ford fe 427s. I have the service
> manual too, but the largest engine covered in mine is a 406.


Well, geez, sounds like you need a different book.

You need to get a book on Holley carbs, there are plenty of them
out there. Tuning a carb is more than just setting the idle
mixture screws.

Overheating can be caused by many things, low coolant, plugged up
radiator, etc. What makes you think it's related to the carb?

As far as setting the timing, you should be able to find the specs
online somewhere, for whatever your vehicle is. Do a Google search.

You DO know what Google is, don't you?

<rusty camshaft>


--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
T/S 53
sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 15 days 17:23

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:01   #8 (permalink)
Willis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine/Tranny Fluid Question


Nope. In fact, even with a Masters in Telecomm and Computer Science,
I've never heard of it. In fact I don't even own a car. Or a
computer!

I'm looking for help, not sarcasm. Thanks.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:01   #9 (permalink)
one80out@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine/Tranny Fluid Question

Your carb tune is going to have very little effect on engine temps.
Only if you were dangerously lean would fuel/air be having any effect
on temp. If you smell unburnt gas when driving, or better yet if you
pull a spark plug and the ceramic insulator is anything but pure white,
you're out of the lean end of the spectrum.

On the other hand, you should want to have the carb tuned right
regardless of whether it's affecting water temp. There's no
difference between a 406 and a 427 when it comes to that. The basics
are to set the idle mixture screws and idle speed, make sure the float
bowls are set at the proper height, jet the primaries, and jet the
secondaries. At a finer level of tune you move on to the accelerator
pump and the throttle cam. I have no experience with Holleys, and just
a little with a vacuum secondary Demon and a couple Edelbrocks. So I
would point you to the many print and web resources out there for
further information on how to tune a Holley. Your problem is going to
be too much information, rather than not enough.

Timing is an area where I don't worry about specs too much. I just set
base timing for the most advance I can run without ping. If you have a
vacuum advance can, use it, hooked up to unported vacuum. If your
distributor allows adjustment for total mechanical advance (generally
with the use of a stop) and for when mechanical advance comes in (with
the use springs on the advance weights), you can play with those.

Run 10w/30 in your engine. Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and Quaker
State are all good.

Automatic trannies are funny, you can drain all the ATF out of the pan
and it's only a fraction of what's in there. Most of the volume is
trapped in the torque converter. So you can never really change the
ATF, you can only dilute it by draining the pan and topping it off
successive times. If there's no drain plug on the pan, that means
dropping the pan each time. Ick.

Overheating is a problem with numerous causes, but generally under the
heading of not enough water is flowing through the radiator to transfer
the heat out of the engine. What seems to be the most common solution
is to drop cubic dollars on the most gigantic radiator you can fit
under the hood.

180 Out

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:02   #10 (permalink)
one80out@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine/Tranny Fluid Question

Hey Willis:

Here are some good Holley pages:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1...ndex.shtml#mid
http://www.holley.com/search.asp?query=FMCTech

180 Out

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:17.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.