H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
66 6F HCS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69

I'm not askin' this one in RAMFM with all the dorks hanging out there right now.

I've been wanting better lights on my '69 and nobody is making good halogen bulbs for the smaller 5.75" diameter on the '69's. All I can find is for the larger 7" bulbs that most other cars were using. Sylvania's Silverstar's, Wagner BriteLite's, etc. NOTHING for the '69's.

I've found this though...
http://tinyurl.com/3rohg
and this...
http://tinyurl.com/64tyf
and this...
http://tinyurl.com/5qxss

Opinions? This car is already modified, so I'm not worried about originality. I'm just trying to think of everything I'd need to do the conversion. upgrade the wiring or run relays? splice in correct harness to the bulb. What else? Different ideas?

I'm not spending $400 for an HID conversion, which I've seen and it looks really cool, but I'm trying to save money here.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-25-2005, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Kathy and Erich Coiner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69

http://www.cars.u-net.com/cibie.htm

Scroll down about 3/4 of the page to head lights.
They sell 5.75 head lights in both low and high beam versions.

Enjoy.

Erich

"66 6F HCS" <92bottledance_spammit_@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:sLWdnaxUeaosWtnfRVn-rQ@comcast.com...
I'm not askin' this one in RAMFM with all the dorks hanging out there right
now.

I've been wanting better lights on my '69 and nobody is making good halogen
bulbs for the smaller 5.75" diameter on the '69's. All I can find is for the
larger 7" bulbs that most other cars were using. Sylvania's Silverstar's,
Wagner BriteLite's, etc. NOTHING for the '69's.

I've found this though...
http://tinyurl.com/3rohg
and this...
http://tinyurl.com/64tyf
and this...
http://tinyurl.com/5qxss

Opinions? This car is already modified, so I'm not worried about
originality. I'm just trying to think of everything I'd need to do the
conversion. upgrade the wiring or run relays? splice in correct harness to
the bulb. What else? Different ideas?

I'm not spending $400 for an HID conversion, which I've seen and it looks
really cool, but I'm trying to save money here.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
Jason
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69

I've always pondered rewiring the harness so I could use 4 hi-lo lights and just run with all 4 on. I think the car looks better with all four lights on anyhow.
"66 6F HCS" <92bottledance_spammit_@comcast.net> wrote in message news:sLWdnaxUeaosWtnfRVn-rQ@comcast.com...
I'm not askin' this one in RAMFM with all the dorks hanging out there right now.

I've been wanting better lights on my '69 and nobody is making good halogen bulbs for the smaller 5.75" diameter on the '69's. All I can find is for the larger 7" bulbs that most other cars were using. Sylvania's Silverstar's, Wagner BriteLite's, etc. NOTHING for the '69's.

I've found this though...
http://tinyurl.com/3rohg
and this...
http://tinyurl.com/64tyf
and this...
http://tinyurl.com/5qxss

Opinions? This car is already modified, so I'm not worried about originality. I'm just trying to think of everything I'd need to do the conversion. upgrade the wiring or run relays? splice in correct harness to the bulb. What else? Different ideas?

I'm not spending $400 for an HID conversion, which I've seen and it looks really cool, but I'm trying to save money here.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
66 6F HCS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69


"Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net> wrote in message
news:5t41e.12028$Ax.4450@trnddc04...
> http://www.cars.u-net.com/cibie.htm
>
> Scroll down about 3/4 of the page to head lights.
> They sell 5.75 head lights in both low and high beam versions.


Except that they're in Great Britain and I'm in Denver!!
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69

How big are the fog lights for a 65/66? I see they now make them in
Halogen... think it was in NPD catalog this time. $119 EA.... Just a
thought... run your regs and add the halogen fogs.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:24:08 -0700, "66 6F HCS"
<92bottledance_spammit_@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'm not askin' this one in RAMFM with all the dorks hanging out there right now.
>
>I've been wanting better lights on my '69 and nobody is making good halogen bulbs for the smaller 5.75" diameter on the '69's. All I can find is for the larger 7" bulbs that most other cars were using. Sylvania's Silverstar's, Wagner BriteLite's, etc. NOTHING for the '69's.
>
>I've found this though...
>http://tinyurl.com/3rohg
>and this...
>http://tinyurl.com/64tyf
>and this...
>http://tinyurl.com/5qxss
>
>Opinions? This car is already modified, so I'm not worried about originality. I'm just trying to think of everything I'd need to do the conversion. upgrade the wiring or run relays? splice in correct harness to the bulb. What else? Different ideas?
>
>I'm not spending $400 for an HID conversion, which I've seen and it looks really cool, but I'm trying to save money here.


Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:01   #6 (permalink)
dmarcus714.spammersburninhell@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:16:31 -0500,
dmarcus714.spammersburninhell@yahoo.com wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:24:08 -0700, "66 6F HCS"
><92bottledance_spammit_@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm not askin' this one in RAMFM with all the dorks hanging out there right now.
>>
>>I've been wanting better lights on my '69 and nobody is making good halogen bulbs
>>for the smaller 5.75" diameter on the '69's. All I can find is for the larger 7" bulbs
>>that most other cars were using. Sylvania's Silverstar's, Wagner BriteLite's, etc.
>>NOTHING for the '69's.

>
>Uh?
>
>Aren't the headlights on the '69 Mustang the same as other
>four-headlight systems? Hi/Lo outboards, Hi-only inboards?
>Small, round?
>
>Sylvania makes those in Halogen. Available at your local
>Pep Boys, Auto Zone, or Advance/Kragen. H4000 for lo/hi
>(outboard) and H5001 for high-only (inboard).


Oops, my bad. H5006 for low beams. Got confused with the
old non-halogen number.

>
>I'd run relays with Halogens. Not only makes 'em brighter but saves
>the headlight switch too.
>
><EOM>
>
>Remove ".spammersburninhell" (including dot) to
>reply....



<EOM>

Remove ".spammersburninhell" (including dot) to
reply....
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:01   #7 (permalink)
dmarcus714.spammersburninhell@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:24:08 -0700, "66 6F HCS"
<92bottledance_spammit_@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'm not askin' this one in RAMFM with all the dorks hanging out there right now.
>
>I've been wanting better lights on my '69 and nobody is making good halogen bulbs
>for the smaller 5.75" diameter on the '69's. All I can find is for the larger 7" bulbs
>that most other cars were using. Sylvania's Silverstar's, Wagner BriteLite's, etc.
>NOTHING for the '69's.


Uh?

Aren't the headlights on the '69 Mustang the same as other
four-headlight systems? Hi/Lo outboards, Hi-only inboards?
Small, round?

Sylvania makes those in Halogen. Available at your local
Pep Boys, Auto Zone, or Advance/Kragen. H4000 for lo/hi
(outboard) and H5001 for high-only (inboard).

I'd run relays with Halogens. Not only makes 'em brighter but saves
the headlight switch too.

<EOM>

Remove ".spammersburninhell" (including dot) to
reply....
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:01   #8 (permalink)
John&Michelle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69

I've had excellent luck with the "Eagle Eye" H-4 conversions, sold by JC Whitney - they are better than the Carello conversions I had previously.
By all means, do the relay conversion! I used Hella relays to do mine - small, cheap, very reliable. And taking the additional load of brighter lights off the headlight switch is a VERY good thing - 'cuz you might end up like i did, otherwise - 75 MPH on the Interstate, with the headlights flashing like 4-ways......
"66 6F HCS" <92bottledance_spammit_@comcast.net> wrote in message news:sLWdnaxUeaosWtnfRVn-rQ@comcast.com...
I'm not askin' this one in RAMFM with all the dorks hanging out there right now.

I've been wanting better lights on my '69 and nobody is making good halogen bulbs for the smaller 5.75" diameter on the '69's. All I can find is for the larger 7" bulbs that most other cars were using. Sylvania's Silverstar's, Wagner BriteLite's, etc. NOTHING for the '69's.

I've found this though...
http://tinyurl.com/3rohg
and this...
http://tinyurl.com/64tyf
and this...
http://tinyurl.com/5qxss

Opinions? This car is already modified, so I'm not worried about originality. I'm just trying to think of everything I'd need to do the conversion. upgrade the wiring or run relays? splice in correct harness to the bulb. What else? Different ideas?

I'm not spending $400 for an HID conversion, which I've seen and it looks really cool, but I'm trying to save money here.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 14:01   #9 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69

does the same apply to the Xenon headlights compared to the Halogens?
Everything else has gone LED, and now I'm looking at Xenon because
they reportedly run cooler than halogen.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:31:40 -0500,
dmarcus714.spammersburninhell@yahoo.com wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:16:31 -0500,
>dmarcus714.spammersburninhell@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:24:08 -0700, "66 6F HCS"
>><92bottledance_spammit_@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not askin' this one in RAMFM with all the dorks hanging out there right now.
>>>
>>>I've been wanting better lights on my '69 and nobody is making good halogen bulbs
>>>for the smaller 5.75" diameter on the '69's. All I can find is for the larger 7" bulbs
>>>that most other cars were using. Sylvania's Silverstar's, Wagner BriteLite's, etc.
>>>NOTHING for the '69's.

>>
>>Uh?
>>
>>Aren't the headlights on the '69 Mustang the same as other
>>four-headlight systems? Hi/Lo outboards, Hi-only inboards?
>>Small, round?
>>
>>Sylvania makes those in Halogen. Available at your local
>>Pep Boys, Auto Zone, or Advance/Kragen. H4000 for lo/hi
>>(outboard) and H5001 for high-only (inboard).

>
>Oops, my bad. H5006 for low beams. Got confused with the
>old non-halogen number.
>
>>
>>I'd run relays with Halogens. Not only makes 'em brighter but saves
>>the headlight switch too.
>>
>><EOM>
>>
>>Remove ".spammersburninhell" (including dot) to
>>reply....

>
>
><EOM>
>
>Remove ".spammersburninhell" (including dot) to
>reply....


Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 17:02   #10 (permalink)
dmarcus714.spammersburninhell@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: H4 Headlight Conversion on a '69

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:39:56 -0800, Spike <jma@snowcrest.net> wrote:

>does the same apply to the Xenon headlights compared to the Halogens?
>Everything else has gone LED, and now I'm looking at Xenon because
>they reportedly run cooler than halogen.


Not sure about xenon or LED. Halogens were around when I worked at
auto-parts counters and I remember most of the numbers. Xenons and
LED headlights came along later, after I'd moved on. The manufacturers
probably have their own numbers for these systems anyway, but I'm sure
I've seen a four-headlight (round) conversion somewhere. You can bet
it won't be cheap, and I'd steer clear of the less-expensive systems
because crappy optics are just plain dangerous when you're throwing
that much candlepower.

>
>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:31:40 -0500,
>dmarcus714.spammersburninhell@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:16:31 -0500,
>>dmarcus714.spammersburninhell@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:24:08 -0700, "66 6F HCS"
>>><92bottledance_spammit_@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>>I'm not askin' this one in RAMFM with all the dorks hanging out there right now.
>>>>
>>>>I've been wanting better lights on my '69 and nobody is making good halogen bulbs
>>>>for the smaller 5.75" diameter on the '69's. All I can find is for the larger 7" bulbs
>>>>that most other cars were using. Sylvania's Silverstar's, Wagner BriteLite's, etc.
>>>>NOTHING for the '69's.
>>>
>>>Uh?
>>>
>>>Aren't the headlights on the '69 Mustang the same as other
>>>four-headlight systems? Hi/Lo outboards, Hi-only inboards?
>>>Small, round?
>>>
>>>Sylvania makes those in Halogen. Available at your local
>>>Pep Boys, Auto Zone, or Advance/Kragen. H4000 for lo/hi
>>>(outboard) and H5001 for high-only (inboard).

>>
>>Oops, my bad. H5006 for low beams. Got confused with the
>>old non-halogen number.
>>
>>>
>>>I'd run relays with Halogens. Not only makes 'em brighter but saves
>>>the headlight switch too.
>>>
>>><EOM>
>>>
>>>Remove ".spammersburninhell" (including dot) to
>>>reply....

>>
>>
>><EOM>
>>
>>Remove ".spammersburninhell" (including dot) to
>>reply....

>
>Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
>1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
>Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
>Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
>w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16



<EOM>

Remove ".spammersburninhell" (including dot) to
reply....
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:35.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.