How to Rotate a Crankshaft - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 08:01   #1 (permalink)
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
How to Rotate a Crankshaft

I have a 1972 Ford 351C and I need to retime the engine because I had
to replace the distributor. To retime it, I need to rotate the
crankshaft to the TDC mark on the damper. Stupid question - what's
the best way to rotate the crankshaft to the TDC mark? Do you use the
starter motor to try to "jump" it to the mark or is there any easier
way?

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-09-2005, 08:01   #2 (permalink)
John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to Rotate a Crankshaft

Pull the coil wire. Use the starter to get it close and then squeeze the
fan belt while turning the fan or alternator to get it dead on the mark or
put a socket and long rachet on the center front bolt/nut of the crank.

--
John
'69 Mach 1 390 Toploader Acapulco Blue
ThunderSnake #59

"Joe" <lanser1996@joltmail.net> wrote in message
news:1128866745.723593.219730@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I have a 1972 Ford 351C and I need to retime the engine because I had
> to replace the distributor. To retime it, I need to rotate the
> crankshaft to the TDC mark on the damper. Stupid question - what's
> the best way to rotate the crankshaft to the TDC mark? Do you use the
> starter motor to try to "jump" it to the mark or is there any easier
> way?
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
66 6F HCS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to Rotate a Crankshaft


"John" <mooresjc@chartermi.removethisandonedot.net> wrote
> put a socket and long rachet on the center front bolt/nut of the crank.


This is a PITA to do with the spark plugs still in the heads.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57
http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to Rotate a Crankshaft

"66 6F HCS" <69ta_mustang@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ctCdnUBTboIV4dTeRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
>
> "John" <mooresjc@chartermi.removethisandonedot.net> wrote
>> put a socket and long rachet on the center front bolt/nut of the crank.

>
> This is a PITA to do with the spark plugs still in the heads.


Yep, that's why you use starter to get close. Hopefully, REAL close. I
seem to remember using two screwdivers on the starter relay (?) to do it
while looking at the crank and the timing marks. Right?
--
John
'69 Mach 1 390 Toploader Acapulco Blue
ThunderSnake #59



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Nosey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to Rotate a Crankshaft

John wrote:
> "66 6F HCS" <69ta_mustang@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:ctCdnUBTboIV4dTeRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
>>
>> "John" <mooresjc@chartermi.removethisandonedot.net> wrote
>>> put a socket and long rachet on the center front bolt/nut of the
>>> crank.

>>
>> This is a PITA to do with the spark plugs still in the heads.

>
> Yep, that's why you use starter to get close. Hopefully, REAL close.
> I seem to remember using two screwdivers on the starter relay (?) to
> do it while looking at the crank and the timing marks. Right?


You only need one. Cross the battery feed with the closest small post on the
solenoid and the starter will "spark" to life.
--
Ken
ThunderSnake #51


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 19:01   #6 (permalink)
John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to Rotate a Crankshaft

"Nosey" <kfrei43@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b8j2f.153$BZ5.13@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> John wrote:
>> "66 6F HCS" <69ta_mustang@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:ctCdnUBTboIV4dTeRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
>>>
>>> "John" <mooresjc@chartermi.removethisandonedot.net> wrote
>>>> put a socket and long rachet on the center front bolt/nut of the
>>>> crank.
>>>
>>> This is a PITA to do with the spark plugs still in the heads.

>>
>> Yep, that's why you use starter to get close. Hopefully, REAL close.
>> I seem to remember using two screwdivers on the starter relay (?) to
>> do it while looking at the crank and the timing marks. Right?

>
> You only need one. Cross the battery feed with the closest small post on
> the solenoid and the starter will "spark" to life.


Oh yeah, thanks. It's been a while since I done that.

--
John
'69 Mach 1 390 Toploader Acapulco Blue
ThunderSnake #59



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 21:01   #7 (permalink)
geewhiz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to Rotate a Crankshaft

Nosey wrote:
>
> John wrote:
> > "66 6F HCS" <69ta_mustang@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:ctCdnUBTboIV4dTeRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
> >>
> >> "John" <mooresjc@chartermi.removethisandonedot.net> wrote
> >>> put a socket and long rachet on the center front bolt/nut of the
> >>> crank.
> >>
> >> This is a PITA to do with the spark plugs still in the heads.

> >
> > Yep, that's why you use starter to get close. Hopefully, REAL close.
> > I seem to remember using two screwdivers on the starter relay (?) to
> > do it while looking at the crank and the timing marks. Right?

>
> You only need one. Cross the battery feed with the closest small post on the
> solenoid and the starter will "spark" to life.
> --
> Ken
> ThunderSnake #51


This only works if the relay is wired with the hot battery cable next to
the "S" terminal on the relay. Basically, you apply battery voltage to
the "S" terminal, and it will crank over. I always like to use a remote
starter button from a tune-up kit...sparks make me jumpy, and you'll end
up ruining a good screwdriver.

As an aside, the insurance industry "convinced" Ford to remove the "I"
12v ignition cranking bypass from the relay, as it was too easy to
hotwire Fords with that handy ignition wire right next to the battery.

Gerard
TS 14
--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html
--------------------------------------------------
Personal Home Page
http://www.bob2000.com/4277.htm
--------------------------------------------------
To send email, visit my website and follow the links
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:51.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.