Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 15:01   #1 (permalink)
BW
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler???

I am looking for documented, published dyno reports, preferably done by
Ford, for the 427 Side Oiler that powered the 427 Cobra among others.
Yes, I know the approximate figures, and I have seen peak figure claims,
but I am looking for vintage testing reports (e.g. Hot Rod,
Hi-Performance Cars, etc.) with actual rpm/dyno figures.

I've been all over Google with every search inquiry I could think of and
the information eludes me.

Any help is much appreciated.

BW
--
"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein.


Remove both letters "x" in email address to reply.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-23-2005, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
Wound Up
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
HISS ---> BILL S. Re: Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler??? -

Oh, BILLIE!!! I HISS AT THEE, and summon thee forth

Bill S. has actual experience with everything you speak of. Bill can speak
about what he's seen and built.

Just don't listen to 180out or Patrick (NoOp5L). All they do is regurgitate
public information you've already seen. And as such, they are worth no more
than the piles of puke they produce.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

"BW" <1969zl1xvettex@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:42E2AF16.CED73C10@earthlink.net...
>I am looking for documented, published dyno reports, preferably done by
> Ford, for the 427 Side Oiler that powered the 427 Cobra among others.
> Yes, I know the approximate figures, and I have seen peak figure claims,
> but I am looking for vintage testing reports (e.g. Hot Rod,
> Hi-Performance Cars, etc.) with actual rpm/dyno figures.
>
> I've been all over Google with every search inquiry I could think of and
> the information eludes me.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> BW
> --
> "Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind."
> - Albert Einstein.
>
>
> Remove both letters "x" in email address to reply.



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
one80out@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HISS ---> BILL S. Re: Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler??? -

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for. But my two cents is
to take the as-tested weight from any given 427 Cobra magazine story,
and the trap speed in the quarter mile, and use the trap speed
horsepower formula to get rearwheel horsepower, i.e., rwhp = (trap
speed/234)^3 * weight. Then divide by 0.80 to account for a 20%
drivetrain loss. That will give you a ballpark figure, although
without any of the corrections for altitude, barometric pressure, etc.,
that a dyno cell would use.

As far as Pound Pup's comments, he's a strange guy who drinks and
smokes too much and is given to these bipolar outbursts. You can take
my advice or leave it, likewise as to Bill S., as you wish. It's sad
that one of the few on-topic threads in months comes along and from the
gun Pound Pup wants to turn it into a flame fest.

180 Out

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
Wound Up
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HISS ---> BILL S. Re: Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler??? -

Oopsie... I was just melting away in the hot tub, (the air actually heated
the water today) and Usenet percolated forth among other random thoughts,
like "I'm glad I don't have the disease where your skin falls off".

I forgot about my truce with 180 with this post. I guess just I reverted to
olden times. I don't even actually know if anyone's listening, but the
group suddenly took the tone of "someone farted in here".

If you guys were listening, and are righteously pissed, I retract my
statment. It just seemed this place needed a roust, and I know who to poke
in the ribs, that's all. No harm was intended. Pat and Bill aren't
worthless piles of puke. Continuez donc.

I'm a bit grouchy. All this sobriety makes me damned irritable. And, it's
1000 degrees outside.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

"Wound Up" <none@your.disposal.ask.me> wrote in message
news:4RzEe.2185$Ok6.260@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...
> Oh, BILLIE!!! I HISS AT THEE, and summon thee forth
>
> Bill S. has actual experience with everything you speak of. Bill can
> speak about what he's seen and built.
>
> Just don't listen to 180out or Patrick (NoOp5L). All they do is
> regurgitate public information you've already seen. And as such, they are
> worth no more than the piles of puke they produce.
>
> --
> Wound Up
> ThunderSnake #65
>
> "BW" <1969zl1xvettex@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:42E2AF16.CED73C10@earthlink.net...
>>I am looking for documented, published dyno reports, preferably done by
>> Ford, for the 427 Side Oiler that powered the 427 Cobra among others.
>> Yes, I know the approximate figures, and I have seen peak figure claims,
>> but I am looking for vintage testing reports (e.g. Hot Rod,
>> Hi-Performance Cars, etc.) with actual rpm/dyno figures.
>>
>> I've been all over Google with every search inquiry I could think of and
>> the information eludes me.
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>> BW
>> --
>> "Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind."
>> - Albert Einstein.
>>
>>
>> Remove both letters "x" in email address to reply.

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 17:01   #5 (permalink)
G Girard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler???





http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...11/bomber.html




On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:55:48 GMT, BW <1969zl1xvettex@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I am looking for documented, published dyno reports, preferably done by
>Ford, for the 427 Side Oiler that powered the 427 Cobra among others.
>Yes, I know the approximate figures, and I have seen peak figure claims,
>but I am looking for vintage testing reports (e.g. Hot Rod,
>Hi-Performance Cars, etc.) with actual rpm/dyno figures.
>
>I've been all over Google with every search inquiry I could think of and
>the information eludes me.
>
>Any help is much appreciated.
>
>BW


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
BW
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler???

Thanx.

BW

G Girard wrote:
>
> http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...11/bomber.html
>
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:55:48 GMT, BW <1969zl1xvettex@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I am looking for documented, published dyno reports, preferably done by
> >Ford, for the 427 Side Oiler that powered the 427 Cobra among others.
> >Yes, I know the approximate figures, and I have seen peak figure claims,
> >but I am looking for vintage testing reports (e.g. Hot Rod,
> >Hi-Performance Cars, etc.) with actual rpm/dyno figures.
> >
> >I've been all over Google with every search inquiry I could think of and
> >the information eludes me.
> >
> >Any help is much appreciated.
> >
> >BW


--
"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein.


Remove both letters "x" in email address to reply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 22:01   #7 (permalink)
one80out@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler???

Here's another story on a non-stock FE, albeit a 498:
http://popularhotrodding.com/enginem...5em_sideoiler/

A dyno pull showed 515 hp @ 5000, 590 lb-ft @ 4000. Pretty
underwhelming.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:01   #8 (permalink)
Bill S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HISS ---> BILL S. Re: Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler???-

Better late than never................
Disclaimer:All HP and TQ figures based on actual rear wheel results +18%
for drivetrain losses

Stock, 24,400 mile original 1970 428CJ Mach I
(actual dyno numbers as performed 6/06/05)
367hp 394ft/lbs of torque

Stock 3,672 mile 427 "street" cobra w/1-4V
(actual dyno numbers as performed 6/06/05)
399hp 467ft/lbs of torque

Stock 22,200 mile original 1967 427 Corvette 1-4V
(actual dyno numbers as performed 6/06/05)
401hp 422ft/lbs of torque

Stock 2,400 mile original Hemi Cuda
(actual dyno numbers as performed 6/06/05)
418hp 451ft/lbs of torque

Look for the write up in a "unmentioned" (due to contractual
obligations) Muscle car magazine some time in January 06


TS#15


Wound Up wrote:

> Oh, BILLIE!!! I HISS AT THEE, and summon thee forth
>
> Bill S. has actual experience with everything you speak of. Bill can speak
> about what he's seen and built.
>
> Just don't listen to 180out or Patrick (NoOp5L). All they do is regurgitate
> public information you've already seen. And as such, they are worth no more
> than the piles of puke they produce.
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:01   #9 (permalink)
Stan Weiss
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler???

Between 580 and 590 lb-ft of torque from 3000 to 4400 is one sweet
street engine. In that 2515 lb car it maybe to much.
Stan

one80out@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> Here's another story on a non-stock FE, albeit a 498:
> http://popularhotrodding.com/enginem...5em_sideoiler/
>
> A dyno pull showed 515 hp @ 5000, 590 lb-ft @ 4000. Pretty
> underwhelming.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:01   #10 (permalink)
one80out@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Magazine Dyno Results for 427 Side Oiler???

Stan Weiss wrote:

> Between 580 and 590 lb-ft of torque from 3000 to 4400 is one sweet
> street engine. In that 2515 lb car it maybe to much.


No doubt. What I mean is that 515 hp is not a big number for a 498 ci
engine costing as much as this one must have. Aluminum block and
heads, billet crank, one-off fuel injection, even a one-off oil pan.
We're talking $20,000 retail. I'll bet Big Al and his friend Pat get
the same numbers out of their 460's for one-tenth the outlay.

180 Out

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.