Watkins Glen checklist - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 14:01   #1 (permalink)
Bill S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Watkins Glen checklist

Truck: Gassed up, oil changed and level checked, brake fluid checked,
tires aired up.

Trailer: Hooked up to truck, tires aired up, lights checked, brakes checked.

Car: Tech'd, then tech'd again, tied down to trailer, tires aired to
31psi at all four corners, lug nuts torqued to 75lbs, re-tech'd (what
can I say, I'm anal about my safety).

Tools: rachet set, tire pressure gauge, spare fluids, 4 way lug wrench,
work gloves, zip ties, spare ignition parts, assorted clamps, hoses, etc.

Apex paperwork: Tech sheet, copy of DL, notification in case of emergency.

Sanity: Not available


For everything else, there is Mastercard

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-01-2005, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
keller428@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Watkins Glen checklist


You forgot the payola for the Pit Boss.........

:)

See you down there.......

-Mike.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 16:01   #3 (permalink)
Bill S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Watkins Glen checklist

keller428@hotmail.com wrote:

> You forgot the payola for the Pit Boss.........
>
> :)
>
> See you down there.......
>
> -Mike.
>

Mike,

Looks like I'll be chasing you around this time out, as I still have
not had time to swap out my 3:73's, nor upgrade my close ratio T10
4speed...Since the change over to the Canton RR pan and matching oil
pump (along with a refresh of the engine and a temporary rewelding of
the #4 passenger side rear header pipe to make it clear said new pan), I
have not had the funds, nor the time to do either or........Looks like
I'll run out of engine before I run out of straightaway......Hell, might
not even have to shift except in turn one, and in the boot.........Going
to be an interesting couple of days......

When are you coming down, Tuesday night, or Wednesday morning??? Will be
at the usual watering hole on Tuesday night, stop over and say hello......


TS#15

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
keller428@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Watkins Glen checklist


I won't be in town until later (9-9:30) on Tuesday night. I'll check
in at my hotel (in Montour Falls) and I'll meet you guys at the Lodge
shortly after. You won't be chasing me too much. I'll be down at Pit -
1 "talking" to folks who've found theirs or thier cars limits. I'll
have some track time (about 1/2 hour) near the end of each day to get
it out of my system. I can still take you out for a ride if you'd
like........

-Mike.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:01   #5 (permalink)
Bill S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Watkins Glen checklist

keller428@hotmail.com wrote:
> I won't be in town until later (9-9:30) on Tuesday night. I'll check
> in at my hotel (in Montour Falls) and I'll meet you guys at the Lodge
> shortly after. You won't be chasing me too much. I'll be down at Pit -
> 1 "talking" to folks who've found theirs or thier cars limits. I'll
> have some track time (about 1/2 hour) near the end of each day to get
> it out of my system. I can still take you out for a ride if you'd
> like........
>
> -Mike.
>

Let's hope that I'm not one of those guys your going to "need to have a
talk with".........See you there.

TS#15

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
fast Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Watkins Glen checklist

Bill S. wrote:
> keller428@hotmail.com wrote:
>> I won't be in town until later (9-9:30) on Tuesday night. I'll
>> check in at my hotel (in Montour Falls) and I'll meet you guys at
>> the Lodge shortly after. You won't be chasing me too much. I'll be
>> down at Pit - 1 "talking" to folks who've found theirs or thier cars
>> limits. I'll have some track time (about 1/2 hour) near the end of
>> each day to get it out of my system. I can still take you out for a
>> ride if you'd like........
>>
>> -Mike.
>>

> Let's hope that I'm not one of those guys your going to "need to have
> a talk with".........See you there.
>
> TS#15



Have fun down there guys. I'm looking forward to the Phoenix CMR event in a
few weeks. BTW, I'm at Shannonville (about 2 hours east of Toronto) this
Saturday to help out at the SVTOA On-Track event. Have to come back home
for Sunday to help run the car show we do at the dealership once a year ...
damn.

--
Ed Nicholson
TS # 27

Super Coupe Club of Ontario : www.sccoa.com/sccoo
SCCoA message boards : www.sccoa.com/forums
Great Lakes Cougar Club : www.greatlakescougarclub.com
Greater Toronto Area Mustang Club : www.gtamc.com



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:01   #7 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Watkins Glen checklist

Ahhhhh.... the good ol' days.... as the fog of memory slips back to a
simpler time, long ago, to a free rock concert on a pig farm...

Yasgar's Farm Checklist....

....beat up old VW bus complete with psychedelic flowers, hand prints,
feathered roach clip hanging from the rearview mirror

.... case of Ripple and two kegs o' brew

....bags o' weed and coin to buy more when that runs out...

....Disney character stamps laced with acid

....a big baggie o' rainbows

....umpteen bags o' munchies for when the need hits

.... a case o' butt wipe (not gonna get caught without like last time)

....MACE for when those Storm trooper MC dudes

....plastic garbage bags in case it starts to rain again this year

....sleeping bags so the chicks can be comfortable this time (all that
whining last time about drowned out the bands!)


It wasn't as good as the infield at Indy.....

You all have a GREAT time..... : 0 )
Greasy side down!



On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:22:31 -0400, "Bill S." <mrbill_55@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Truck: Gassed up, oil changed and level checked, brake fluid checked,
>tires aired up.
>
>Trailer: Hooked up to truck, tires aired up, lights checked, brakes checked.
>
>Car: Tech'd, then tech'd again, tied down to trailer, tires aired to
>31psi at all four corners, lug nuts torqued to 75lbs, re-tech'd (what
>can I say, I'm anal about my safety).
>
>Tools: rachet set, tire pressure gauge, spare fluids, 4 way lug wrench,
>work gloves, zip ties, spare ignition parts, assorted clamps, hoses, etc.
>
>Apex paperwork: Tech sheet, copy of DL, notification in case of emergency.
>
>Sanity: Not available
>
>
>For everything else, there is Mastercard


Spike
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 13:01   #8 (permalink)
Bill S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Watkins Glen checklist

I went out in the first session, made three laps, then got towed in..Not
a large problem, in fact, one that would never come up on any other car,
along the ownership line, someone wired in a "hidden" cut off switch for
the ignition, the switch was located in the drivers side
wheelwell.........The vibration of the racing action caused one of the
connections to break off the back of the switch, thus shutting down the
engine........... Embarrassing to so the least, especially with Mike
acting as the "Pit Boss"..Easy 8 minute fix after I found the wiring
hanging with noplace to plug back in......went back out for another 30
minutes and the car ran fine.......Came in, went out during the second
session, and again, the car ran great..............Tried to go out for
the first afternoon session, and the starter won't crank over........2.5
hours of ****ing around and trying to fix it (in the 95 degree heat) and
I gave up, rolled the car back on the trailer and called it a
day......Tried to fix it for about 30 minutes this morning(at 6am while
it was below 80), had breakfast with "the gang", then came home out of
sheer disgust.......The combination of new Canton road race pan, Hooker
long tube headers (with Stahl conversion plates of unknown variety), and
the stock (but gusseted) "K" member means that the only way to get at
the starter (with the one month old solenoid attached to it) is to jack
up the engine, remove the headers, and have at it..Something I was not
willing to do at the track today.....In the 19+ years of racing
(assorted venues), this is the very first time I have had a problem that
could not be taken care of....I was long overdue, and have hopefully now
paid my dues for the next 19+ years......

TS#15

PS: I hope Mike got a chance to get in a little more time
today....Record highs (close to, if not passing the 100 mark) and high
humidity were forcast for the day...............







fast Ed wrote:

> Bill S. wrote:
>
>>keller428@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I won't be in town until later (9-9:30) on Tuesday night. I'll
>>>check in at my hotel (in Montour Falls) and I'll meet you guys at
>>>the Lodge shortly after. You won't be chasing me too much. I'll be
>>>down at Pit - 1 "talking" to folks who've found theirs or thier cars
>>>limits. I'll have some track time (about 1/2 hour) near the end of
>>>each day to get it out of my system. I can still take you out for a
>>>ride if you'd like........
>>>
>>>-Mike.
>>>

>>
>>Let's hope that I'm not one of those guys your going to "need to have
>>a talk with".........See you there.
>>
>>TS#15

>
>
>
> Have fun down there guys. I'm looking forward to the Phoenix CMR event in a
> few weeks. BTW, I'm at Shannonville (about 2 hours east of Toronto) this
> Saturday to help out at the SVTOA On-Track event. Have to come back home
> for Sunday to help run the car show we do at the dealership once a year ...
> damn.
>
> --
> Ed Nicholson
> TS # 27
>
> Super Coupe Club of Ontario : www.sccoa.com/sccoo
> SCCoA message boards : www.sccoa.com/forums
> Great Lakes Cougar Club : www.greatlakescougarclub.com
> Greater Toronto Area Mustang Club : www.gtamc.com
>
>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 14:01   #9 (permalink)
keller428@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Watkins Glen checklist


I took the SVTF out on Wednesday afternoon with a student and pegged
the oil temp gauge after eight laps despite the fact that the car has a
water-oil cooler on it from Ford. Lots of heat that day for sure. I got
the car back out on Thursday morning's open track session and made it
about 40 minutes before the oil came up into the red zone. I had good
coolant temp and normal oil pressure but the oil temp really soared.
I'll have to make sure the oil is fresh before the CMR event and take
note of the operating conditions.......that and look into some real
gauges instead of the widgets that SVT installed. That little motor
spends the whole session between 5000 and 7200RPM so I can't really
complain about durability....probably should look into an additional
cooler as well.

It would have been cool to run around the track with ya Bill. That
would have been fun. Flip your Club Cranky buddy (Red SN95 ForSale -
his name is John?) off for me would ya? Tell him its from me with a
smile. He'll know what its about.

-Mike.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 16:01   #10 (permalink)
Bill S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Watkins Glen checklist

keller428@hotmail.com wrote:

> I took the SVTF out on Wednesday afternoon with a student and pegged
> the oil temp gauge after eight laps despite the fact that the car has a
> water-oil cooler on it from Ford. Lots of heat that day for sure. I got
> the car back out on Thursday morning's open track session and made it
> about 40 minutes before the oil came up into the red zone. I had good
> coolant temp and normal oil pressure but the oil temp really soared.
> I'll have to make sure the oil is fresh before the CMR event and take
> note of the operating conditions.......that and look into some real
> gauges instead of the widgets that SVT installed. That little motor
> spends the whole session between 5000 and 7200RPM so I can't really
> complain about durability....probably should look into an additional
> cooler as well.
>
> It would have been cool to run around the track with ya Bill. That
> would have been fun. Flip your Club Cranky buddy (Red SN95 ForSale -
> his name is John?) off for me would ya? Tell him its from me with a
> smile. He'll know what its about.
>
> -Mike.
>


Mike,

JM (John: aka: the unknown comic) send his regards......He may be up
at the Rochester Shelby event.I'm trying to work my schedule around it,
but unless I get about 10 hours of free time to rework the bugs out of
the Mustang, there is no way I'm going to make it out before
September........As usual with me, only time will tell..........

TS#15

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:07.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.