1997 F-350 tranny question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01   #1 (permalink)
truckman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
1997 F-350 tranny question

Hello- I used a 97 f-350 to do some heavy moving (shrub pulling). I
smelled something hot, looked underneath and saw tranny fluid leaking a
pretty steady stream. I let the truck cool, and checked the fluid. It
was about 1 qt low, so I added some. Drove the truck under normal
conditions and saw no leak. Drove normally for about 25 miles in
traffic and 45mph on hwy, pulled over and still no leak.

Question- Did it leak because the tranny got too hot? It was a hot
day and I pulled for about 2 hrs with it.

Much appreciate any help.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
TranSurgeon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1997 F-350 tranny question

yes


"truckman" <ben.surratt@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126012378.145291.245860@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hello- I used a 97 f-350 to do some heavy moving (shrub pulling). I
> smelled something hot, looked underneath and saw tranny fluid leaking a
> pretty steady stream. I let the truck cool, and checked the fluid. It
> was about 1 qt low, so I added some. Drove the truck under normal
> conditions and saw no leak. Drove normally for about 25 miles in
> traffic and 45mph on hwy, pulled over and still no leak.
>
> Question- Did it leak because the tranny got too hot? It was a hot
> day and I pulled for about 2 hrs with it.
>
> Much appreciate any help.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01   #3 (permalink)
truckman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1997 F-350 tranny question

Thanks for your answer. What should I do at this point? Could I have
damaged the tranny?

Many thanks

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01   #4 (permalink)
TranSurgeon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1997 F-350 tranny question

1) pray

2) possibly


"truckman" <ben.surratt@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126012840.348458.108920@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for your answer. What should I do at this point? Could I have
> damaged the tranny?
>
> Many thanks
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01   #5 (permalink)
TranSurgeon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
but seriously........was Re: 1997 F-350 tranny question

probably got the torque converter VERY hot, it started leaking out the front
seal

probably no damage if you didn't slip any clutches

change fluid about 2-3 times over the next month to get most of the old
fluid out

and DON'T do it again !!!

TS


"truckman" <ben.surratt@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126012840.348458.108920@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for your answer. What should I do at this point? Could I have
> damaged the tranny?
>
> Many thanks
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01   #6 (permalink)
truckman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: but seriously........was Re: 1997 F-350 tranny question

TS- Thanks so much. I'll have it changed ASAP, and I'll heed your
advice, 'O Tranny Master.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
Lance LaFrinier
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: but seriously........was Re: 1997 F-350 tranny question


"truckman" <ben.surratt@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126014086.476241.145830@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> TS- Thanks so much. I'll have it changed ASAP, and I'll heed your
> advice, 'O Tranny Master.


For your information...heat is what damages automatic transmissions. You may
have very likely damaged yours.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 14:02   #8 (permalink)
truckman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: but seriously........was Re: 1997 F-350 tranny question

Thanks for your response. In researching how to remove the shrubs,
almost every example involved pulling them with a truck. I am very
aware of what ruins transmissions, and would not have done this had I
thought for a second that it would damage it. This truck is a brute of
a vehicle and I thought it was up to the task. So far it has shown no
ill effect from this, but no, I would not do it this way again.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 14:02   #9 (permalink)
CJB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: but seriously........was Re: 1997 F-350 tranny question

Just add a tranny cooler first. Most folks agree that the factory cooler is
insufficient for heavy duty work.

CJB

"truckman" <ben.surratt@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126039578.780162.162130@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for your response. In researching how to remove the shrubs,
> almost every example involved pulling them with a truck. I am very
> aware of what ruins transmissions, and would not have done this had I
> thought for a second that it would damage it. This truck is a brute of
> a vehicle and I thought it was up to the task. So far it has shown no
> ill effect from this, but no, I would not do it this way again.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 18:01   #10 (permalink)
wicked
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: but seriously........was Re: 1997 F-350 tranny question

truckman wrote:
> Thanks for your response. In researching how to remove the shrubs,
> almost every example involved pulling them with a truck. I am very
> aware of what ruins transmissions, and would not have done this had I
> thought for a second that it would damage it. This truck is a brute of
> a vehicle and I thought it was up to the task. So far it has shown no
> ill effect from this, but no, I would not do it this way again.
>


2 hours is a long time to be working that tranny that hard. I depends on
what kind of shrub you were pulling and what prep you did before
pulling. Don't get transmissions hot. If you are going to work it that
hard, you need a good transmission cooler and let it rest to cool off
from time to time.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:09.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.