2001 - 5.4 Diesel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 23:01   #1 (permalink)
Weril Samson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
2001 - 5.4 Diesel

I was looking at a 2001 F250 with a 5.4. The salesman started it up
and the thing sounded like a diesel, I said I thought I was looking at a gas
powered truck, not diesel. He said it was gas, they sound that way
because of the overhead cam and the idle circuit. It did smooth out
after a minute or so but this is fishy. Do these things sound like this when
started cold?? I had him start another 5.4 powered truck and it wasn't as bad.
Never heard a gas engine rattle like a diesel.

TIA
Probasco
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-27-2005, 03:01   #2 (permalink)
Joe G
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 - 5.4 Diesel

run, don't walk


"Weril Samson" <guesswho@serial.net> wrote in message
news:skp0m1d2oqslfcj63ajcuiih9tfauupm41@4ax.com...
>I was looking at a 2001 F250 with a 5.4. The salesman started it up
> and the thing sounded like a diesel, I said I thought I was looking at a
> gas
> powered truck, not diesel. He said it was gas, they sound that way
> because of the overhead cam and the idle circuit. It did smooth out
> after a minute or so but this is fishy. Do these things sound like this
> when
> started cold?? I had him start another 5.4 powered truck and it wasn't as
> bad.
> Never heard a gas engine rattle like a diesel.
>
> TIA
> Probasco



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:01   #3 (permalink)
ProBasCo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 - 5.4 Diesel

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:41:35 GMT, "Joe G" <joeg@sbcglobal.net> posted that:

: :: :::> run, don't walk
: :: :::>

Did I get an earful. After talking to the local Ford expert,
(drive Fords all your life = expert) he says the timing chain is lacking oil
at startup and if it sounds that bad it has been going on for a long time.
This is a problem with the 5.4s when running the wrong oil filter.
A Google search of Usenet verified this

So much for looking at Ford..

Probasco

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:01   #4 (permalink)
Spdloader
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 - 5.4 Diesel

Don't judge all Fords because of this one truck, take a look at something in
a PowerStroke, you may find one in just your size.
Like 446 cubes.

Good luck,

Spdloader



"ProBasCo" <guesswho@serial.net> wrote in message
news:sll1m1tsioe0gb578fas8n9nfi76qnvhte@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:41:35 GMT, "Joe G" <joeg@sbcglobal.net> posted
> that:
>
> : :: :::> run, don't walk
> : :: :::>
>
> Did I get an earful. After talking to the local Ford expert,
> (drive Fords all your life = expert) he says the timing chain is lacking
> oil
> at startup and if it sounds that bad it has been going on for a long time.
> This is a problem with the 5.4s when running the wrong oil filter.
> A Google search of Usenet verified this
>
> So much for looking at Ford..
>
> Probasco
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:01   #5 (permalink)
Derrick Hudson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 - 5.4 Diesel

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 05:33:45 GMT, Weril Samson wrote:
> I was looking at a 2001 F250 with a 5.4. The salesman started it up
> and the thing sounded like a diesel, I said I thought I was looking at a gas
> powered truck, not diesel.


The diesel is a 6.0L. Older diesels (80's, early 90's) are 7.3L.


> Never heard a gas engine rattle like a diesel.


You should have heard my 2.9L BroncoII. It had a nice big hole in the
muffler. Not quite the same rhythm though.

-D

--
A Microsoft Certified System Engineer is to information technology as a
McDonalds Certified Food Specialist is to the culinary arts.
Michael Bacarella commenting on the limited value of certification.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/ jabber: dman@dman13.dyndns.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 14:01   #6 (permalink)
Matt Macchiarolo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 - 5.4 Diesel

I was using the proper Mobil 1 filter and would get a lot of valvetrain
noise on start-up in my v10 for a second or two. Switched to Motorcraft
filters and no more noise.

Sounds like there is more going on here than just the wrong filter. Maybe
the oil's never been changed??

"ProBasCo" <guesswho@serial.net> wrote in message
news:sll1m1tsioe0gb578fas8n9nfi76qnvhte@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:41:35 GMT, "Joe G" <joeg@sbcglobal.net> posted
> that:
>
> : :: :::> run, don't walk
> : :: :::>
>
> Did I get an earful. After talking to the local Ford expert,
> (drive Fords all your life = expert) he says the timing chain is lacking
> oil
> at startup and if it sounds that bad it has been going on for a long time.
> This is a problem with the 5.4s when running the wrong oil filter.
> A Google search of Usenet verified this
>
> So much for looking at Ford..
>
> Probasco
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 16:01   #7 (permalink)
Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 - 5.4 Diesel

Some, especially the cheap ones, do not have a check valve in the filter so
the engine does not get any oil for a few seconds. The motorcraft filter
does have the check valve.

Bob


"Matt Macchiarolo" <matt@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
news:qrednZ2HDo_AqvzeRVn-iw@comcast.com...
>I was using the proper Mobil 1 filter and would get a lot of valvetrain
>noise on start-up in my v10 for a second or two. Switched to Motorcraft
>filters and no more noise.
>
> Sounds like there is more going on here than just the wrong filter. Maybe
> the oil's never been changed??
>
> "ProBasCo" <guesswho@serial.net> wrote in message
> news:sll1m1tsioe0gb578fas8n9nfi76qnvhte@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:41:35 GMT, "Joe G" <joeg@sbcglobal.net> posted
>> that:
>>
>> : :: :::> run, don't walk
>> : :: :::>
>>
>> Did I get an earful. After talking to the local Ford expert,
>> (drive Fords all your life = expert) he says the timing chain is lacking
>> oil
>> at startup and if it sounds that bad it has been going on for a long
>> time.
>> This is a problem with the 5.4s when running the wrong oil filter.
>> A Google search of Usenet verified this
>>
>> So much for looking at Ford..
>>
>> Probasco
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
ProBasCo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 - 5.4 Diesel


He started two other trucks (5.4 engines) on the lot, they also made this noise, just
not as bad.
The truck in question has a motorcraft FL-820s oil filter - (check valve).

No thanks to the PowerStroke - can't stand the smell and rattle.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:32:15 GMT, "Spdloader" <askforit@nospam.triad.rr.com> posted
that:

: :: :::> Don't judge all Fords because of this one truck, take a look at something in
: :: :::> a PowerStroke, you may find one in just your size.
: :: :::> Like 446 cubes.
: :: :::>
: :: :::> Good luck,
: :: :::>
: :: :::> Spdloader
: :: :::>

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 18:01   #9 (permalink)
ProBasCo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 - 5.4 Diesel


It has the correct filter - FL-820s - this filter has the check valve to prevent
bleed back (so I'm told).
Supposed to have had the oil changed, It's on a dealers lot.


On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:22:44 -0400, "Matt Macchiarolo" <matt@nospamplease.com> posted
that:

: :: :::> I was using the proper Mobil 1 filter and would get a lot of valvetrain
: :: :::> noise on start-up in my v10 for a second or two. Switched to Motorcraft
: :: :::> filters and no more noise.
: :: :::>
: :: :::> Sounds like there is more going on here than just the wrong filter. Maybe
: :: :::> the oil's never been changed??
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 19:01   #10 (permalink)
Spdloader
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 - 5.4 Diesel

lol

I guess it is an acquired taste, but with the windows rolled up, AC on, and
the XM tuned in properly, you can barely hear it..........

Spdloader




"ProBasCo" <guesswho@serial.net> wrote in message
news:jnq2m1hlbds9eu1r73f87duf3r1lea1d4s@4ax.com...
>
> He started two other trucks (5.4 engines) on the lot, they also made this
> noise, just
> not as bad.
> The truck in question has a motorcraft FL-820s oil filter - (check valve).
>
> No thanks to the PowerStroke - can't stand the smell and rattle.
>
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:32:15 GMT, "Spdloader"
> <askforit@nospam.triad.rr.com> posted
> that:
>
> : :: :::> Don't judge all Fords because of this one truck, take a look at
> something in
> : :: :::> a PowerStroke, you may find one in just your size.
> : :: :::> Like 446 cubes.
> : :: :::>
> : :: :::> Good luck,
> : :: :::>
> : :: :::> Spdloader
> : :: :::>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:19.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.