2005 F150 Towing Capacity - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #1 (permalink)
Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
2005 F150 Towing Capacity

Hi All: Have 2005 f150 that has specs rated for 6100 lbs towing cap.
Factory tow package is stamped with 5000 lbs max weight, 9900 lbs
distributed.
Heres the question: I want to rent a vehicle trailer (4 wheels) to tow a
3600 lb car. Trailer weighs 2100 lbs, Uhaul says my truck is set up for it.
Does this mean that the trailer with the 4 wheel setup is a distributed
load? or do I need a special tow hitch other than standard bar? Thanks as I
want to be sure. Towing car 300 miles. Ed


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #2 (permalink)
SnoMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2005 F150 Towing Capacity

"Ed47" wrote:
> Hi All: Have 2005 f150 that has specs rated for 6100 lbs
> towing cap.
> Factory tow package is stamped with 5000 lbs max weight, 9900
> lbs
> distributed.
> Heres the question: I want to rent a vehicle trailer (4
> wheels) to tow a
> 3600 lb car. Trailer weighs 2100 lbs, Uhaul says my truck is
> set up for it.
> Does this mean that the trailer with the 4 wheel setup is a
> distributed
> load? or do I need a special tow hitch other than standard
> bar? Thanks as I
> want to be sure. Towing car 300 miles. Ed


Wihtout knowing the engine size and axle ratio it is hard to say how
well it will do as the engine size and gearing and the terrian you tow
on has far more to do with towing ability that a factory
sticker/rating.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-2005-...ict124168.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=604696
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #3 (permalink)
Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2005 F150 Towing Capacity

Manual says it has max weight cap of 6100 lbs, 4.6 v8, 3.55 axle, came with
tow package factory installed so has additional radiator in front of the
engine radiator. Might be trans cooler?
This is only a one time tow from NJ to MA. My concern is the weight and
handling while towing.
Thanks, Ed

"SnoMan" <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
news:1_604696_3e692e9cf4b390fe65c2aef988e16a8c@autoforumz.com...
> "Ed47" wrote:
> > Hi All: Have 2005 f150 that has specs rated for 6100 lbs
> > towing cap.
> > Factory tow package is stamped with 5000 lbs max weight, 9900
> > lbs
> > distributed.
> > Heres the question: I want to rent a vehicle trailer (4
> > wheels) to tow a
> > 3600 lb car. Trailer weighs 2100 lbs, Uhaul says my truck is
> > set up for it.
> > Does this mean that the trailer with the 4 wheel setup is a
> > distributed
> > load? or do I need a special tow hitch other than standard
> > bar? Thanks as I
> > want to be sure. Towing car 300 miles. Ed

>
> Wihtout knowing the engine size and axle ratio it is hard to say how
> well it will do as the engine size and gearing and the terrian you tow
> on has far more to do with towing ability that a factory
> sticker/rating.
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:
> http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-2005-...ict124168.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=604696



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #4 (permalink)
Roy Brown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2005 F150 Towing Capacity

You might want to see if the trailer rental company will also rent a weight
distributing hitch.

--
Roy
rem NADA to reply



"Ed" <ed@nospampleaseornot.com> wrote in message
news:t7qdnTkl9vaMAzHfRVn-gw@adelphia.com...
| Manual says it has max weight cap of 6100 lbs, 4.6 v8, 3.55 axle, came with
| tow package factory installed so has additional radiator in front of the
| engine radiator. Might be trans cooler?
| This is only a one time tow from NJ to MA. My concern is the weight and
| handling while towing.
| Thanks, Ed
|
| "SnoMan" <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
| news:1_604696_3e692e9cf4b390fe65c2aef988e16a8c@autoforumz.com...
| > "Ed47" wrote:
| > > Hi All: Have 2005 f150 that has specs rated for 6100 lbs
| > > towing cap.
| > > Factory tow package is stamped with 5000 lbs max weight, 9900
| > > lbs
| > > distributed.
| > > Heres the question: I want to rent a vehicle trailer (4
| > > wheels) to tow a
| > > 3600 lb car. Trailer weighs 2100 lbs, Uhaul says my truck is
| > > set up for it.
| > > Does this mean that the trailer with the 4 wheel setup is a
| > > distributed
| > > load? or do I need a special tow hitch other than standard
| > > bar? Thanks as I
| > > want to be sure. Towing car 300 miles. Ed
| >
| > Wihtout knowing the engine size and axle ratio it is hard to say how
| > well it will do as the engine size and gearing and the terrian you tow
| > on has far more to do with towing ability that a factory
| > sticker/rating.
| >
| > --
| > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
| > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
| > Topic URL:
| > http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-2005-...ict124168.html
| > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
| > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=604696
|
|


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #5 (permalink)
Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2005 F150 Towing Capacity

Uhaul only sells them about 300.00 does not rent.
Thanks, Ed
"Roy Brown" <roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote in message
news:Ya2re.1086$Qr3.146990@news20.bellglobal.com...
> You might want to see if the trailer rental company will also rent a
> weight
> distributing hitch.
>
> --
> Roy
> rem NADA to reply
>
>
>
> "Ed" <ed@nospampleaseornot.com> wrote in message
> news:t7qdnTkl9vaMAzHfRVn-gw@adelphia.com...
> | Manual says it has max weight cap of 6100 lbs, 4.6 v8, 3.55 axle, came
> with
> | tow package factory installed so has additional radiator in front of the
> | engine radiator. Might be trans cooler?
> | This is only a one time tow from NJ to MA. My concern is the weight and
> | handling while towing.
> | Thanks, Ed
> |
> | "SnoMan" <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
> | news:1_604696_3e692e9cf4b390fe65c2aef988e16a8c@autoforumz.com...
> | > "Ed47" wrote:
> | > > Hi All: Have 2005 f150 that has specs rated for 6100 lbs
> | > > towing cap.
> | > > Factory tow package is stamped with 5000 lbs max weight, 9900
> | > > lbs
> | > > distributed.
> | > > Heres the question: I want to rent a vehicle trailer (4
> | > > wheels) to tow a
> | > > 3600 lb car. Trailer weighs 2100 lbs, Uhaul says my truck is
> | > > set up for it.
> | > > Does this mean that the trailer with the 4 wheel setup is a
> | > > distributed
> | > > load? or do I need a special tow hitch other than standard
> | > > bar? Thanks as I
> | > > want to be sure. Towing car 300 miles. Ed
> | >
> | > Wihtout knowing the engine size and axle ratio it is hard to say how
> | > well it will do as the engine size and gearing and the terrian you tow
> | > on has far more to do with towing ability that a factory
> | > sticker/rating.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> | > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> | > Topic URL:
> | >
> http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-2005-...ict124168.html
> | > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> | > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=604696
> |
> |
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #6 (permalink)
SnoMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: 2005 F150 Towing Capacity

"Ed" wrote:
>Manual says it has max weight cap of 6100 lbs, 4.6 v8, 3.55 axle,

came
>with tow package factory installed so has additional radiator in

front
>of the engine radiator. Might be trans cooler? This is only a one

time
>tow from NJ to MA. My concern is the weight and handling while

towing.
>Thanks, Ed
>


You should do okay because ground should be reasonable flat and car
haulers do not have a lot of wind drag like s travel trailer does.
Just tow with OD locked out and do not crowd it to much. If you have a
big hill in route just find a speed it is happy with on the hill and
go with that. I would also run rear tires of truck at max pressure and
make sure you have some kind of brakes on trailer (electric or surge)
and have a safe trip.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #7 (permalink)
Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: 2005 F150 Towing Capacity

Good Advise, I'll be sure to take it easy and inflate tires. Thanks
Ed
"SnoMan" <DoNotEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
news:1_605118_63c3c12a65a73d76d67766906ac17870@autoforumz.com...
> "Ed" wrote:
>>Manual says it has max weight cap of 6100 lbs, 4.6 v8, 3.55 axle,

> came
>>with tow package factory installed so has additional radiator in

> front
>>of the engine radiator. Might be trans cooler? This is only a one

> time
>>tow from NJ to MA. My concern is the weight and handling while

> towing.
>>Thanks, Ed
>>

>
> You should do okay because ground should be reasonable flat and car
> haulers do not have a lot of wind drag like s travel trailer does.
> Just tow with OD locked out and do not crowd it to much. If you have a
> big hill in route just find a speed it is happy with on the hill and
> go with that. I would also run rear tires of truck at max pressure and
> make sure you have some kind of brakes on trailer (electric or surge)
> and have a safe trip.



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #8 (permalink)
lugnut
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2005 F150 Towing Capacity

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:25:39 -0400, "Ed"
<ed@nospampleaseornot.com> wrote:

>Good Advise, I'll be sure to take it easy and inflate tires. Thanks
>Ed
>"SnoMan" <DoNotEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
>news:1_605118_63c3c12a65a73d76d67766906ac17870@autoforumz.com...
>> "Ed" wrote:
>>>Manual says it has max weight cap of 6100 lbs, 4.6 v8, 3.55 axle,

>> came
>>>with tow package factory installed so has additional radiator in

>> front
>>>of the engine radiator. Might be trans cooler? This is only a one

>> time
>>>tow from NJ to MA. My concern is the weight and handling while

>> towing.
>>>Thanks, Ed
>>>

>>
>> You should do okay because ground should be reasonable flat and car
>> haulers do not have a lot of wind drag like s travel trailer does.
>> Just tow with OD locked out and do not crowd it to much. If you have a
>> big hill in route just find a speed it is happy with on the hill and
>> go with that. I would also run rear tires of truck at max pressure and
>> make sure you have some kind of brakes on trailer (electric or surge)
>> and have a safe trip.

>



I have done as Sno-Man said a few times with slightly heavy
tows. One thing I would caution you to do is balance the
load on the trailer if you can. This may mean loading the
car back from where you would really like it just to keep
too much off the truck. You do not want so much on the rear
of the truck that the front wheels are being lifted. The
front brakes do most of the normal work and can skid easily
when braking if too much weight is removed. If you have
front ABS, the rear will compensate to a point but, braking
will be greatly degraded w/o the full use of the front
brakes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #9 (permalink)
SnoMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: 2005 F150 Towing Capacity

"Ed" wrote:
>Uhaul only sells them about 300.00 does not rent.
>Thanks, Ed
>


I would not buy on for this one time trip. Make sure car is centerd
properly on trailer. The way I do it is record bumber/hitch height of
trailer when it is hooked up but without car loaded and then record
the amout the rear bumper/hitch sinks with load. Being a 1/2 ton truck
about 3 to 4 inch sink. If you sink it more than that, the car is too
far forward on trailer and back it up a bit. Not very scientific but
it works. With a stiffer truck it can be less sink.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:01   #10 (permalink)
Adelphia
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2005 F150 Towing Capacity

Trip Completed, Tow worked fine, Truck was strong and trailer was nice.
Uhaul trailer did not allow for balancing load as it had fixed tire location
for front tires but seemed ok. Dropped 3 to 4" when loaded. Surge brake
worked nice and pretty smooth throughout. Took my time and had a nice tow -
trip. Thanks, to all who offered advise and would have to say Uhaul trailer
& people also helpful. Ed
"lugnut" <lugnut@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:059ra1hqv464stu93cvmkosop1vi1q01p5@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:25:39 -0400, "Ed"
> <ed@nospampleaseornot.com> wrote:
>
>>Good Advise, I'll be sure to take it easy and inflate tires. Thanks
>>Ed
>>"SnoMan" <DoNotEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
>>news:1_605118_63c3c12a65a73d76d67766906ac17870@autoforumz.com...
>>> "Ed" wrote:
>>>>Manual says it has max weight cap of 6100 lbs, 4.6 v8, 3.55 axle,
>>> came
>>>>with tow package factory installed so has additional radiator in
>>> front
>>>>of the engine radiator. Might be trans cooler? This is only a one
>>> time
>>>>tow from NJ to MA. My concern is the weight and handling while
>>> towing.
>>>>Thanks, Ed
>>>>
>>>
>>> You should do okay because ground should be reasonable flat and car
>>> haulers do not have a lot of wind drag like s travel trailer does.
>>> Just tow with OD locked out and do not crowd it to much. If you have a
>>> big hill in route just find a speed it is happy with on the hill and
>>> go with that. I would also run rear tires of truck at max pressure and
>>> make sure you have some kind of brakes on trailer (electric or surge)
>>> and have a safe trip.

>>

>
>
> I have done as Sno-Man said a few times with slightly heavy
> tows. One thing I would caution you to do is balance the
> load on the trailer if you can. This may mean loading the
> car back from where you would really like it just to keep
> too much off the truck. You do not want so much on the rear
> of the truck that the front wheels are being lifted. The
> front brakes do most of the normal work and can skid easily
> when braking if too much weight is removed. If you have
> front ABS, the rear will compensate to a point but, braking
> will be greatly degraded w/o the full use of the front
> brakes.



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.