7.3 PS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2005, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
Kathy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
7.3 PS

I just bought a 2000 Ford XLT with the 7.3 powerstroke in
it............since you have had and have one..........anythings to watch
for. I am new to diesel and I am coming from having a GMC for nearly 15
years.........it had the 350v8 in it. I lost the differential in the GMC
due to pulling a work trailer with my tools in it. My Ford truck has just
over 100k on it. Thanks for any and all responses.

Russ


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-26-2005, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
Charles Kerekes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 7.3 PS

Kathy,

I was brand new to diesels in mid-2004 when I bought a 2000 F-550 with
the same engine as you. I am still just a tinkerer, but here are a
couple of things I learned about the 7.3L diesel:

- Locate and check the air filter gauge occasionally. It's that clear
cap near the filter that indicates if it is getting clogged. As it
approaches the red mark, it's time to clean or replace the filter.

- It took me forever to find the fuel filter/water separator! The
drawings in the engine manual were throwing me off and I kept looking
under the engine. To find it, look just behind the engine near the top
center. It has a yellow plastic handle near the base which opens and
drains out water (and fuel). If you like replacing your own fuel
filter, just unscrew the top. This proved to be extremely difficult
without the filter removal tool-I ended up using the handles a
pliers.

Well, those two things are amateurish, but it's good to know about
them nonetheless.

Charlie
http://ChanginGears.com

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:01   #3 (permalink)
Kathy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 7.3 PS

Charles,
Did your new purchase of the Ford have a lot of miles on it? Nice
website by the way......... Oh yeah, thanks for the tips.

Russ




"Charles Kerekes" <charleskerekes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1125095792.656641.29880@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Kathy,
>
> I was brand new to diesels in mid-2004 when I bought a 2000 F-550 with
> the same engine as you. I am still just a tinkerer, but here are a
> couple of things I learned about the 7.3L diesel:
>
> - Locate and check the air filter gauge occasionally. It's that clear
> cap near the filter that indicates if it is getting clogged. As it
> approaches the red mark, it's time to clean or replace the filter.
>
> - It took me forever to find the fuel filter/water separator! The
> drawings in the engine manual were throwing me off and I kept looking
> under the engine. To find it, look just behind the engine near the top
> center. It has a yellow plastic handle near the base which opens and
> drains out water (and fuel). If you like replacing your own fuel
> filter, just unscrew the top. This proved to be extremely difficult
> without the filter removal tool-I ended up using the handles a
> pliers.
>
> Well, those two things are amateurish, but it's good to know about
> them nonetheless.
>
> Charlie
> http://ChanginGears.com
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Charles Kerekes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 7.3 PS

Kathy,

> Did your new purchase of the Ford have a lot of miles on it?


It had 62,000 miles, which I thought was pretty low for the age and
type of vehicle.

> Nice website by the way.


Thanks.

Charlie
http://ChanginGears.com

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
Rudy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 7.3 PS


>> - Locate and check the air filter gauge occasionally. It's that clear
>> cap near the filter that indicates if it is getting clogged. As it
>> approaches the red mark, it's time to clean or replace the filter.


the filter should be replaced when the indicator is half way..mine was
filthy then..No way to wait til the RED mark


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:01   #6 (permalink)
Charles Kerekes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 7.3 PS

> the filter should be replaced when the indicator is half way

Good to know. Thanks, Rudy.

Charlie
http://ChanginGears.com

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:01   #7 (permalink)
STP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 7.3 PS

One other thing you should do for sure is use a test kit (or take it to the
dealer) and have them test the amount of cooling system additive in your
anti-freeze. It is a Ford Motorcraft product, and that's what it's called,
Diesel Cooling System Additive. It comes in a 16 oz. plastic bottle and
costs arount $7. As I understand it, it keeps your engine from cavitating.
I had a friend who did not do this & ended up replacing the whole engine.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 00:01   #8 (permalink)
Rudy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 7.3 PS


> have them test the amount of cooling system additive in your
> anti-freeze. It is a Ford Motorcraft product, and that's what it's
> called, Diesel Cooling System Additive. It comes in a 16 oz. plastic
> bottle and costs arount $7. As I understand it, it keeps your engine
> from cavitating. I had a friend who did not do this & ended up replacing
> the whole engine.


That additive is for the green anti freeze.
A lot of the newer trucks have the gold colored stuff that doesnt need the
additive


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 15:01   #9 (permalink)
bradtx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 7.3 PS

Kathy, Two items not hit...oil may turn black very quickly. Don't
worry, the harder the truck is worked, the sooner the oil changes
color. I use the Ford filter and Rotella T 15W40 and change it every
4500 miles.

Second item...if the engines idles VERY erratically upon start-up,
don't turn the engine off, the computer will sort it out in a few
seconds. This will happen more often as the weather cools and maybe 1
in 200 starts in warm weather.

I change the fuel filter every other oil change and keep a spare with
me if I'm traveling. I add the coolant additive at the same time.

bradtx

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 18:01   #10 (permalink)
Robin Brumfield
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 7.3 PS

In article <Epp%e.26004$tl2.10701@pd7tw3no>, NoSpam@no-onehome.net
says...
>
> > have them test the amount of cooling system additive in your
> > anti-freeze. It is a Ford Motorcraft product, and that's what it's
> > called, Diesel Cooling System Additive. It comes in a 16 oz. plastic
> > bottle and costs arount $7. As I understand it, it keeps your engine
> > from cavitating. I had a friend who did not do this & ended up replacing
> > the whole engine.

>
> That additive is for the green anti freeze.
> A lot of the newer trucks have the gold colored stuff that doesnt need the
> additive
>
>
>

I do not think the gold antifreeze was introduced until the 6.0L came
out. I believe that all of the 7.3L PSD engines required supplemental
coolant additive (SCA). I know my 1999 and 2001 did but the 2004 6,0L
PSD does not.
--
Robin
Charleston, WV
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.