'78 F350 Engine replacement options - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 20:01   #1 (permalink)
Matthew Warren
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
'78 F350 Engine replacement options

Need to replace the engine in a 78 F350 w/ 4sp trans. it currently has a
400, but wondering what other options I might have, with little to no
modification. If my option is the 400, then so be it, just need to know.
thanks


Matt


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-25-2005, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
Advocate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '78 F350 Engine replacement options


"Matthew Warren" <msuuarren@bluefrog.com> wrote in message
news:djmopn0111m@enews2.newsguy.com...
> Need to replace the engine in a 78 F350 w/ 4sp trans. it currently has a
> 400, but wondering what other options I might have, with little to no
> modification. If my option is the 400, then so be it, just need to know.
> thanks
>

If your engine hasn't suffered a catastrophic failure, I think it's best to
overhaul the engine you now have. One has no idea how much abuse and damage
was done to a rebuild or junkyard motor.

I beileve that you can use either the 400 or 351M small block.



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:01   #3 (permalink)
351CJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '78 F350 Engine replacement options


"Matthew Warren" <msuuarren@bluefrog.com> wrote in message
news:djmopn0111m@enews2.newsguy.com...
> Need to replace the engine in a 78 F350 w/ 4sp trans. it currently has a
> 400, but wondering what other options I might have, with little to no
> modification. If my option is the 400, then so be it, just need to know.
> thanks
>
>
> Matt



The transmission / bell housing bolt pattern is the same as the 429/460.
Any 429/460 will drop right in. You may have some complications with
mounting the accessories on the front, but that is not to hard to deal with.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:01   #4 (permalink)
Ulysses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '78 F350 Engine replacement options


"Advocate" <Advo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:TjD7f.275695$084.176894@attbi_s22...
>
> "Matthew Warren" <msuuarren@bluefrog.com> wrote in message
> news:djmopn0111m@enews2.newsguy.com...
> > Need to replace the engine in a 78 F350 w/ 4sp trans. it currently has

a
> > 400, but wondering what other options I might have, with little to no
> > modification. If my option is the 400, then so be it, just need to

know.
> > thanks
> >

> If your engine hasn't suffered a catastrophic failure, I think it's best

to
> overhaul the engine you now have. One has no idea how much abuse and

damage
> was done to a rebuild or junkyard motor.
>
> I beileve that you can use either the 400 or 351M small block.
>
>
>


I have a '78 F350 Crew Cab with the 351 and I think it's a bit underpowered
and only gets about 8 mpg. What kind of gas mileage do you get with the
400? I'd guess it's about the same.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Agave
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '78 F350 Engine replacement options

Matthew Warren wrote:
> Need to replace the engine in a 78 F350 w/ 4sp trans. it currently has a
> 400, but wondering what other options I might have, with little to no
> modification. If my option is the 400, then so be it, just need to know.
> thanks
>
>
> Matt
>
>
>

Have you looked into getting a replacement crate engine? Ford may have
an exact replacement. After-market places will build you one to spec,
and/or do a swap for a different size including any additional hardware
needed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
Matthew Warren
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '78 F350 Engine replacement options

truck comes with need of rebuild... so I don't know yet. Are you running a
2 or 4 barrel?
"Ulysses" <therealulysses@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11m1v2ee8p03p40@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Advocate" <Advo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:TjD7f.275695$084.176894@attbi_s22...
>>
>> "Matthew Warren" <msuuarren@bluefrog.com> wrote in message
>> news:djmopn0111m@enews2.newsguy.com...
>> > Need to replace the engine in a 78 F350 w/ 4sp trans. it currently has

> a
>> > 400, but wondering what other options I might have, with little to no
>> > modification. If my option is the 400, then so be it, just need to

> know.
>> > thanks
>> >

>> If your engine hasn't suffered a catastrophic failure, I think it's best

> to
>> overhaul the engine you now have. One has no idea how much abuse and

> damage
>> was done to a rebuild or junkyard motor.
>>
>> I beileve that you can use either the 400 or 351M small block.
>>
>>
>>

>
> I have a '78 F350 Crew Cab with the 351 and I think it's a bit
> underpowered
> and only gets about 8 mpg. What kind of gas mileage do you get with the
> 400? I'd guess it's about the same.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 21:01   #7 (permalink)
Ulysses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '78 F350 Engine replacement options


"Matthew Warren" <msuuarren@bluefrog.com> wrote in message
news:djs2ip0ons@enews3.newsguy.com...
> truck comes with need of rebuild... so I don't know yet. Are you running

a
> 2 or 4 barrel?


Just a 2 barrel. It also has single rear wheels.

BTW that gas mileage was based upon California gas. When I filled up in
Arizona it got over 10 mpg and that was with a 1 ton camper, 4 people, and 3
large dogs.

It goes up steep grades no problem, just not very fast
;-)


> "Ulysses" <therealulysses@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:11m1v2ee8p03p40@corp.supernews.com...
> >
> > "Advocate" <Advo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:TjD7f.275695$084.176894@attbi_s22...
> >>
> >> "Matthew Warren" <msuuarren@bluefrog.com> wrote in message
> >> news:djmopn0111m@enews2.newsguy.com...
> >> > Need to replace the engine in a 78 F350 w/ 4sp trans. it currently

has
> > a
> >> > 400, but wondering what other options I might have, with little to no
> >> > modification. If my option is the 400, then so be it, just need to

> > know.
> >> > thanks
> >> >
> >> If your engine hasn't suffered a catastrophic failure, I think it's

best
> > to
> >> overhaul the engine you now have. One has no idea how much abuse and

> > damage
> >> was done to a rebuild or junkyard motor.
> >>
> >> I beileve that you can use either the 400 or 351M small block.
> >>
> >>
> >>

> >
> > I have a '78 F350 Crew Cab with the 351 and I think it's a bit
> > underpowered
> > and only gets about 8 mpg. What kind of gas mileage do you get with the
> > 400? I'd guess it's about the same.
> >
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:01   #8 (permalink)
bradtx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '78 F350 Engine replacement options

Matt, If time isn't an issue I'd check with a machine shop. Not only
can they take care of all the rebuilding, but also offer opinions
regarding cams and intakes that may may the truck more personally
suited to you.

If time is an issue, go to a re-manufacturer.

Get local opinions first...it's the cheapest part of the
rebuild/replacement.

bradtx

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.