Re: 94 Ranger 2.3L electrical issue
When you crank the truck up, does the voltage showing at the battery go up
to 14 or so or stay at the 10 volts you stated earlier?
As far as there being some type of fuse, I heard once those things were in
the alternator, but I don't have any manuals to check. The truck I was
referring to was a 1956! You might want to take it somewhere to get the
electrical system checked. As was mentioned earlier, the book I do have,
mentions corrosion on battery cables can keep it from charging. Make sure
the cable is giving you a good ground.
Otherwise, maybe move some wires around, look under the dash. One of the
hardest things to find is a broken wire inside the insulation. It may be
completely severed, or have only a partial connection. Moving it might
help, but you have to be watching something to see if it changes. It would
seem logical a situation like this would need a major cable, like maybe a
Have you added any equipment lately? Maybe some type of voltage regulator
could be messed up. I am just guessing about this stuff, someone with the
right equipment could probably tell you quickly.
"Dave..." <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote in message
> On Thu 11 Aug 2005 07:56:05p, Clark assaulted the computer and came up
> with this:
>> He may have something shorting the electrical system. Maybe something
>> like a door switch wearing through the insulation (not a complete short,
>> just a weak point). Check around the starter to see if anything has
>> gotten up into that area.
>> On an older truck, I had a fuse link blown which kept the battery from
>> charging. The amp meter never showed a charge.
>> If you disconnect the battery completely, will it start normally after
>> the same two hours?
> Thanks for your replies, they're all good. This one has what I believe I'm
> looking for... It only drains the battery while it's running. it will
> slightly charge with no extras on, like wipers, lights, a/c and fans,
> stereo... with those on it just pulls everything down. driving at night in
> the rain while it's 98°F with the a/c and radio going isn't a smart thing
> to do in the past month. I don't see any fusibles in the open, so if there
> are any, they're buried in the harness right?
> On another note, I charged the battery up and drove it, still runs like
> crap, so that's probably another issue altogether.