94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke????? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2006, 18:01   #1 (permalink)
kevin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke?????


My problem started a couple weeks ago. The ABS light came on, aprox
1/2 hour later my brakes were not working properly. The pedal felt
all wrong (goes all the way down with no pressure) and it sounded like
the breaks were intermittingly stopping (like skidding) when they did
work... very dangerous to drive this way.

I took the truck home and checked the fluid, it turns out the fluid is
low, so I replaced it, still no puddles in the driveway and from
checking the inside (quick look) and around the wheels no leaks.

I took it up to the garage where I bought the truck and the guys up
there (without looking at it) say it sounds like it need's a master
cylinder. What is your opinion? Is there anything else I should
check into before I buy a MC and try to install it myself? Any advise
about installing a Master Cylinder?

I bought this truck used and I really fell in love with it. I'd like
to do the repairs myself when possible, but I donot have a ton of
experience with this type of thing, so it is a learning process for
me. Any kind of insight will help!





Thank you
Kevin
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-19-2006, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
pkurtz2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke?????


"kevin" <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:c5e0t11c177favcvi094o8gjs97sd3cu9f@4ax.com...
>
> My problem started a couple weeks ago. The ABS light came on, aprox
> 1/2 hour later my brakes were not working properly. The pedal felt
> all wrong (goes all the way down with no pressure) and it sounded like
> the breaks were intermittingly stopping (like skidding) when they did
> work... very dangerous to drive this way.
>
> I took the truck home and checked the fluid, it turns out the fluid is
> low, so I replaced it, still no puddles in the driveway and from
> checking the inside (quick look) and around the wheels no leaks.
>
> I took it up to the garage where I bought the truck and the guys up
> there (without looking at it) say it sounds like it need's a master
> cylinder. What is your opinion? Is there anything else I should
> check into before I buy a MC and try to install it myself? Any advise
> about installing a Master Cylinder?
>
> I bought this truck used and I really fell in love with it. I'd like
> to do the repairs myself when possible, but I donot have a ton of
> experience with this type of thing, so it is a learning process for
> me. Any kind of insight will help!
>
>
>
>
>
> Thank you
> Kevin


Kevin,
Replacing a master cylinder is fairly easy. Its pretty much just a swap out
kind of deal. Just remember to prime the new master cylinder before you
install it. You do this by pushing the plunger rod in and out a couple of
times to get the air out of the primary and secondary plungers. Once you
have done that, just install in the reverse order that you took the old one
off, and bleed ALL of your brakes to get any air out of the system.
You also have a choice of brake bleeding styles. The most prominent one
is pressure bleeding. Have a friend pump the brakes 2-3 times, or until
solid. When your friend says they are solid, have your friend hold down on
the pedal, and open the bleed valve. Close the bleed valve BEFORE your
friends releases the brake pedal. Keep doing this until you get no more air
in the system, and watch your resevoir.. You have to keep fluid in it at all
times, or you have to start over.
The second style is the gravity bleed. Basically you just open the bleed
valve, and let the fluid drain out. This takes a long time, and again, you
have to keep an eye on the resevoir. Also with this system, you probably
only want to do one at a time. It might help speed up the process.
That's it, thats all you need to do. Oh, and one more thing. Buy a
chilton/haynes manual for your vehicle.. When it comes to repairs by a DIY,
or a professional. You can't beat a good tech manual.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
Joe S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke?????


"kevin" <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:c5e0t11c177favcvi094o8gjs97sd3cu9f@4ax.com...
>
> My problem started a couple weeks ago. The ABS light came on, aprox
> 1/2 hour later my brakes were not working properly. The pedal felt
> all wrong (goes all the way down with no pressure) and it sounded like
> the breaks were intermittingly stopping (like skidding) when they did
> work... very dangerous to drive this way.
>
> I took the truck home and checked the fluid, it turns out the fluid is
> low, so I replaced it, still no puddles in the driveway and from
> checking the inside (quick look) and around the wheels no leaks.
>
> I took it up to the garage where I bought the truck and the guys up
> there (without looking at it) say it sounds like it need's a master
> cylinder. What is your opinion? Is there anything else I should
> check into before I buy a MC and try to install it myself? Any advise
> about installing a Master Cylinder?
>
> I bought this truck used and I really fell in love with it. I'd like
> to do the repairs myself when possible, but I donot have a ton of
> experience with this type of thing, so it is a learning process for
> me. Any kind of insight will help!
>
>
>
>
>
> Thank you
> Kevin


Bad master cylinder. Internally the master cylinder has pistons and
cylinders that move in and out as you press and release the brake pedal.
The pistons and cylinders fit tightly together but, eventually, they wear
and as you step on the pedal, fluid leaks past the pistons causing the
brakes to not work properly and causing the pedal to feel strange. However,
because the leak is internal to the master cylinder, nothing will spill out
onto the ground for you to see.

Replacing the master cylinder is a simple swap-out. Find someone who has
done it, or, do a Google search for replacing master cylinder. The new one
will have plastic caps on the inlet and outlet ports. Open these caps and
fill the new master cylinder with fluid -- pump the rod in and out a few
times to prime the master cylinder with fluid. You'll still need to bleed
the brakes after replacing the master cylinder.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
Hairy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke?????


"kevin" <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:c5e0t11c177favcvi094o8gjs97sd3cu9f@4ax.com...
>
> My problem started a couple weeks ago. The ABS light came on, aprox
> 1/2 hour later my brakes were not working properly. The pedal felt
> all wrong (goes all the way down with no pressure) and it sounded like
> the breaks were intermittingly stopping (like skidding) when they did
> work... very dangerous to drive this way.
>
> I took the truck home and checked the fluid, it turns out the fluid is
> low, so I replaced it, still no puddles in the driveway and from
> checking the inside (quick look) and around the wheels no leaks.
>
> I took it up to the garage where I bought the truck and the guys up
> there (without looking at it) say it sounds like it need's a master
> cylinder. What is your opinion? Is there anything else I should
> check into before I buy a MC and try to install it myself? Any advise
> about installing a Master Cylinder?


How low was the reservoir? It may take more than a "quick look" to find the
leaking component. Until you determine where the fluid went, all we can do
is speculate.

Dave


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke?????

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:34:07 -0600, "Hairy" <hairy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>"kevin" <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:c5e0t11c177favcvi094o8gjs97sd3cu9f@4ax.com...
>>
>> My problem started a couple weeks ago. The ABS light came on, aprox
>> 1/2 hour later my brakes were not working properly. The pedal felt
>> all wrong (goes all the way down with no pressure) and it sounded like
>> the breaks were intermittingly stopping (like skidding) when they did
>> work... very dangerous to drive this way.
>>
>> I took the truck home and checked the fluid, it turns out the fluid is
>> low, so I replaced it, still no puddles in the driveway and from
>> checking the inside (quick look) and around the wheels no leaks.
>>
>> I took it up to the garage where I bought the truck and the guys up
>> there (without looking at it) say it sounds like it need's a master
>> cylinder. What is your opinion? Is there anything else I should
>> check into before I buy a MC and try to install it myself? Any advise
>> about installing a Master Cylinder?

>
>How low was the reservoir? It may take more than a "quick look" to find the
>leaking component. Until you determine where the fluid went, all we can do
>is speculate.


I had a Toyota truck that slowly lost it's master cylinder. No
evidence of fluid leaks anywhere but all symptoms pointed to the
master cylinder. Only when I replaced it did I discover where the
fluid went... Into the vacuum booster and down the inside of the
firewall where it saturated the carpet pad.. Never noticed because of
the rubber floor mats I had down.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 20:01   #6 (permalink)
Hairy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke?????


> >
> >How low was the reservoir? It may take more than a "quick look" to find

the
> >leaking component. Until you determine where the fluid went, all we can

do
> >is speculate.

>
> I had a Toyota truck that slowly lost it's master cylinder. No
> evidence of fluid leaks anywhere but all symptoms pointed to the
> master cylinder. Only when I replaced it did I discover where the
> fluid went... Into the vacuum booster and down the inside of the
> firewall where it saturated the carpet pad.. Never noticed because of
> the rubber floor mats I had down.
>


That is exactly my point. Brake fluid doesn't just suddenly disappear for no
reason. If you lose fluid, there's a leak somewhere. It's just a matter of
finding it.

Dave


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 20:01   #7 (permalink)
JohanB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke?????

Just because the fluid level is low doesn't mean there is a leak

If your brake pads and shoes are worn down to the minimum your fluid level
will be on min.
Nowhere in your post do you say how your pads or shoes are

With your rear shoes down to minimum and a sloppy adjuster your pedal will
go to the floor

Isn't it time you have somebody have a look at it who knows what he/she's
doing

After all , THERE YOUR BRAKES


"kevin" <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:c5e0t11c177favcvi094o8gjs97sd3cu9f@4ax.com...
>
> My problem started a couple weeks ago. The ABS light came on, aprox
> 1/2 hour later my brakes were not working properly. The pedal felt
> all wrong (goes all the way down with no pressure) and it sounded like
> the breaks were intermittingly stopping (like skidding) when they did
> work... very dangerous to drive this way.
>
> I took the truck home and checked the fluid, it turns out the fluid is
> low, so I replaced it, still no puddles in the driveway and from
> checking the inside (quick look) and around the wheels no leaks.
>
> I took it up to the garage where I bought the truck and the guys up
> there (without looking at it) say it sounds like it need's a master
> cylinder. What is your opinion? Is there anything else I should
> check into before I buy a MC and try to install it myself? Any advise
> about installing a Master Cylinder?
>
> I bought this truck used and I really fell in love with it. I'd like
> to do the repairs myself when possible, but I donot have a ton of
> experience with this type of thing, so it is a learning process for
> me. Any kind of insight will help!
>
>
>
>
>
> Thank you
> Kevin
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 21:01   #8 (permalink)
kevin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke?????

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:53:19 -0700, "JohanB"
<ollieb1oREMOVE@THIScs.com> wrote:

>Just because the fluid level is low doesn't mean there is a leak
>
>If your brake pads and shoes are worn down to the minimum your fluid level
>will be on min.
>Nowhere in your post do you say how your pads or shoes are
>
>With your rear shoes down to minimum and a sloppy adjuster your pedal will
>go to the floor
>
>Isn't it time you have somebody have a look at it who knows what he/she's
>doing
>
>After all , THERE YOUR BRAKES
>


I appreciate all the advice and it really does help.
Unfortunately I can only do a little at a time, so yes this weekend I
need to check the pads as well as the other suggestions that have been
made. I want to rule out every possibility before I replace the
master cylinder.

I understand your feeling (re have a pro do it), but I like this
truck and want to learn everything I can regarding it's repair and
upkeep Im no mechanic but I need to start somewhere. I am not going
to learn anything if I bring it someplace and have it done for me.
Fortunately I have some free time and I can keep the truck off the
road so I have the luxury of learning as I go. Luckily I you guys
have taken the time to point me in right direction too.






Thanks
Kevin



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:01   #9 (permalink)
JohanB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke?????

OK, check the thickness of your front pads and rotors, as well as the rear
shoes and drum diameter and report back


"kevin" <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ked3t1hn63aunfb2ii2skqrqppm4djps8m@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:53:19 -0700, "JohanB"
> <ollieb1oREMOVE@THIScs.com> wrote:
>
> >Just because the fluid level is low doesn't mean there is a leak
> >
> >If your brake pads and shoes are worn down to the minimum your fluid

level
> >will be on min.
> >Nowhere in your post do you say how your pads or shoes are
> >
> >With your rear shoes down to minimum and a sloppy adjuster your pedal

will
> >go to the floor
> >
> >Isn't it time you have somebody have a look at it who knows what he/she's
> >doing
> >
> >After all , THERE YOUR BRAKES
> >

>
> I appreciate all the advice and it really does help.
> Unfortunately I can only do a little at a time, so yes this weekend I
> need to check the pads as well as the other suggestions that have been
> made. I want to rule out every possibility before I replace the
> master cylinder.
>
> I understand your feeling (re have a pro do it), but I like this
> truck and want to learn everything I can regarding it's repair and
> upkeep Im no mechanic but I need to start somewhere. I am not going
> to learn anything if I bring it someplace and have it done for me.
> Fortunately I have some free time and I can keep the truck off the
> road so I have the luxury of learning as I go. Luckily I you guys
> have taken the time to point me in right direction too.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks
> Kevin
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 14:01   #10 (permalink)
kevin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 94 Ranger is my Master Cylinder broke?????

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 08:50:16 -0700, "JohanB"
<ollieb1oREMOVE@THIScs.com> wrote:

>OK, check the thickness of your front pads and rotors, as well as the rear
>shoes and drum diameter and report back



I did and everything is fine, infact I wont have to worry about
replacing anything for another year. I also re-checked the brake
fluid and it has remained at the same level (since I replaced it,
altho Ive driven only 2 miles aside from the driveway to garage and
back a couple times since I refilled it) , so I believe this indicates
a master cylinder prob right? I've checked everywhere (including the
firewall which someone sugg today) for any possible signs of leakage
and nothing. If the MC goes is it possible for the fluid to get low
and then no further leaking?

I've pretty much run out of things to do except replace the MC or is
there something else Im overlooking?






thanks
Kevin
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:12.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.