96 F350 5.8L idle surge - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
carl mciver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
96 F350 5.8L idle surge

My truck, after giving it a basic tune up of plugs and cap and all that,
was running a little unstable at idle or low speed. If I let it idle, doing
nothing, and its warm, it will act as if its hunting for the right idle
speed every now and then. I was doing some dragging of stuff around the
other day with it and it became most annoying because the speed wouldn't
stay put. It seemed to start after I ran a bottle of injector cleaner
through the tank, but it escapes me why that would have an effect.
Someone suggested MAF, but this has a MAP system, and I don't know where
to start with that. FI is one of my weak points, so a little guidance would
be appreciated.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-25-2005, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
David M
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 F350 5.8L idle surge

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:44:17 +0000, carl mciver rearranged some electrons
to form:

> My truck, after giving it a basic tune up of plugs and cap and all that,
> was running a little unstable at idle or low speed. If I let it idle, doing
> nothing, and its warm, it will act as if its hunting for the right idle
> speed every now and then. I was doing some dragging of stuff around the
> other day with it and it became most annoying because the speed wouldn't
> stay put. It seemed to start after I ran a bottle of injector cleaner
> through the tank, but it escapes me why that would have an effect.
> Someone suggested MAF, but this has a MAP system, and I don't know where
> to start with that. FI is one of my weak points, so a little guidance would
> be appreciated.


Idle Air Controller is probably dirty.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
T/S 53
sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 1 day 20:20

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 19:01   #3 (permalink)
carl mciver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 F350 5.8L idle surge

"David M" <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2005.10.25.23.40.16.815618@sled351...
| On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:44:17 +0000, carl mciver rearranged some electrons
| to form:
|
| > My truck, after giving it a basic tune up of plugs and cap and all
that,
| > was running a little unstable at idle or low speed. If I let it idle,
doing
| > nothing, and its warm, it will act as if its hunting for the right idle
| > speed every now and then. I was doing some dragging of stuff around the
| > other day with it and it became most annoying because the speed wouldn't
| > stay put. It seemed to start after I ran a bottle of injector cleaner
| > through the tank, but it escapes me why that would have an effect.
| > Someone suggested MAF, but this has a MAP system, and I don't know
where
| > to start with that. FI is one of my weak points, so a little guidance
would
| > be appreciated.
|
| Idle Air Controller is probably dirty.

That would be something I can clean or does it have to be replaced?

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
SC Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 F350 5.8L idle surge


"carl mciver" <cmciver@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:f1B7f.1711$A63.1524@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> "David M" <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:pan.2005.10.25.23.40.16.815618@sled351...
> | On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:44:17 +0000, carl mciver rearranged some
> electrons
> | to form:
> |
> | > My truck, after giving it a basic tune up of plugs and cap and all
> that,
> | > was running a little unstable at idle or low speed. If I let it idle,
> doing
> | > nothing, and its warm, it will act as if its hunting for the right
> idle
> | > speed every now and then. I was doing some dragging of stuff around
> the
> | > other day with it and it became most annoying because the speed
> wouldn't
> | > stay put. It seemed to start after I ran a bottle of injector cleaner
> | > through the tank, but it escapes me why that would have an effect.
> | > Someone suggested MAF, but this has a MAP system, and I don't know
> where
> | > to start with that. FI is one of my weak points, so a little guidance
> would
> | > be appreciated.
> |
> | Idle Air Controller is probably dirty.
>
> That would be something I can clean or does it have to be replaced?
>


You can clean it with brake cleaner spray (after removing it, of course).
Just clean the mechanical part. Keep the spray out of the solenoid end.
Don't use alcohol- it can cause the rubber parts to prematurely dry out and
crack.

SC Tom


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 20:01   #5 (permalink)
carl mciver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 F350 5.8L idle surge

"SC Tom" <SC@Tom.com> wrote in message
news:b9B7f.14988$xk2.13154@fe06.lga...
>>SNIP<<

| > | Idle Air Controller is probably dirty.
| >
| > That would be something I can clean or does it have to be replaced?
| >
|
| You can clean it with brake cleaner spray (after removing it, of course).
| Just clean the mechanical part. Keep the spray out of the solenoid end.
| Don't use alcohol- it can cause the rubber parts to prematurely dry out
and
| crack.

Alrighty. I just cleaned it up, but the crud level seemed light as far
as I could guess. Does it take that much to cause this kind of problem? I
won't know for sure how it does until tomorrow when I drive it again (it
idling with me standing in the rain doesn't show me much and I wasn't going
to stick around for it to warm up) so I'll know whether I was successful or
not.
David and SC Tom, it is much appreciated. If this kept up I was going
to have to take it to the dealer, and that fills me with foreboding!
Thanks!

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:01   #6 (permalink)
SC Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 F350 5.8L idle surge


"carl mciver" <cmciver@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:SMB7f.1531$Rl1.788@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> "SC Tom" <SC@Tom.com> wrote in message
> news:b9B7f.14988$xk2.13154@fe06.lga...
>>>SNIP<<

> | > | Idle Air Controller is probably dirty.
> | >
> | > That would be something I can clean or does it have to be replaced?
> | >
> |
> | You can clean it with brake cleaner spray (after removing it, of
> course).
> | Just clean the mechanical part. Keep the spray out of the solenoid end.
> | Don't use alcohol- it can cause the rubber parts to prematurely dry out
> and
> | crack.
>
> Alrighty. I just cleaned it up, but the crud level seemed light as far
> as I could guess. Does it take that much to cause this kind of problem?
> I
> won't know for sure how it does until tomorrow when I drive it again (it
> idling with me standing in the rain doesn't show me much and I wasn't
> going
> to stick around for it to warm up) so I'll know whether I was successful
> or
> not.
> David and SC Tom, it is much appreciated. If this kept up I was going
> to have to take it to the dealer, and that fills me with foreboding!
> Thanks!
>


It doesn't seem to take much trash in it to affect the function- my '02
Escape was not idling worth a darn, and I had to take mine off and clean it.
It was mildly discolored inside with not much in the way of crud, but I
haven't had any problems with it since (knock on wood). BTW, a new one is in
the $50-$60 ball park.

SC Tom


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:34.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.