Advice ?? 96 Ranger 2.3L hesitates from off idle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2005, 15:01   #1 (permalink)
Eagle Creek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Advice ?? 96 Ranger 2.3L hesitates from off idle

1996 Ranger 2.3L, 5 speed regular cab shortbed. recent (less than 5K
miles) New double platinum plugs, new spark plug wires, air cleaner,
PVC valve, oil change, oil filter. It ran just fine after the "tune
up" for about 3K miles, then one day suddenly, it started this
hesitation. Right now it has 120K+ miles.
When first started, it starts fine and idles fine, But when I get it
in reverse to back out of the garage it "hesitates and then revs up
enough to back up. Same thing going forward and between gears. It gets
less hesitant after it warms up. after about ten miles when I get off
the Interstate and make my first stop, it ALMOST seems normal, only a
very slight hesitation. Checked throttle position sensor with an analog
ohm meter and slowly moved throttle through complete range.
Ohm meter showed a nice steady movement, with initial reading of 1000
ohms at closed throttle and a 4000 ohms at WOT.

It kind of reminds me of the old carburated engines that had the
squirter go bad in the carb.

Sorry about being so long with the explanation, but I tried giving the
best explanation I could.

This is a great group and I've seen many good repair questions answered
...... soooooo I'm hoping you Guys and Gals can help me figure this
problem out.

Thanks!

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-15-2005, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
David M
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice ?? 96 Ranger 2.3L hesitates from off idle

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:45:20 -0500, Eagle Creek rearranged some electrons
to form:

> 1996 Ranger 2.3L, 5 speed regular cab shortbed. recent (less than 5K
> miles) New double platinum plugs, new spark plug wires, air cleaner,
> PVC valve, oil change, oil filter. It ran just fine after the "tune
> up" for about 3K miles, then one day suddenly, it started this
> hesitation. Right now it has 120K+ miles.
> When first started, it starts fine and idles fine, But when I get it
> in reverse to back out of the garage it "hesitates and then revs up
> enough to back up. Same thing going forward and between gears. It gets
> less hesitant after it warms up. after about ten miles when I get off
> the Interstate and make my first stop, it ALMOST seems normal, only a
> very slight hesitation. Checked throttle position sensor with an analog
> ohm meter and slowly moved throttle through complete range.
> Ohm meter showed a nice steady movement, with initial reading of 1000
> ohms at closed throttle and a 4000 ohms at WOT.
>
> It kind of reminds me of the old carburated engines that had the
> squirter go bad in the carb.
>
> Sorry about being so long with the explanation, but I tried giving the
> best explanation I could.
>
> This is a great group and I've seen many good repair questions answered
> ..... soooooo I'm hoping you Guys and Gals can help me figure this
> problem out.
>
> Thanks!


Fuel filter maybe? Just a thought.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
T/S 53
sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 17 days 20:26

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:01   #3 (permalink)
Eagle Creek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice ?? 96 Ranger 2.3L hesitates from off idle


"David M" <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2005.08.15.23.06.20.879191@sled351...
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:45:20 -0500, Eagle Creek rearranged some

electrons
> to form:
>
> > 1996 Ranger 2.3L, 5 speed regular cab shortbed. recent (less than

5K
> > miles) New double platinum plugs, new spark plug wires, air

cleaner,
> > PVC valve, oil change, oil filter. It ran just fine after the

"tune
> > up" for about 3K miles, then one day suddenly, it started this
> > hesitation. Right now it has 120K+ miles.
> > When first started, it starts fine and idles fine, But when I get

it
> > in reverse to back out of the garage it "hesitates and then revs up
> > enough to back up. Same thing going forward and between gears. It

gets
> > less hesitant after it warms up. after about ten miles when I get

off
> > the Interstate and make my first stop, it ALMOST seems normal,

only a
> > very slight hesitation. Checked throttle position sensor with an

analog
> > ohm meter and slowly moved throttle through complete range.
> > Ohm meter showed a nice steady movement, with initial reading of

1000
> > ohms at closed throttle and a 4000 ohms at WOT.
> >
> > It kind of reminds me of the old carburated engines that had the
> > squirter go bad in the carb.
> >
> > Sorry about being so long with the explanation, but I tried giving

the
> > best explanation I could.
> >
> > This is a great group and I've seen many good repair questions

answered
> > ..... soooooo I'm hoping you Guys and Gals can help me figure this
> > problem out.
> >
> > Thanks!

>
> Fuel filter maybe? Just a thought.
>
> --
> David M (dmacchiarolo)
> http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
> T/S 53
> sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 17 days 20:26



> Thanks for the reply .... I forgot to add that when it started

doing this , I also changed the fuel filter.
I know someone in this group will come up with an answer.... Thanks
again

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01   #4 (permalink)
TomC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice ?? 96 Ranger 2.3L hesitates from off idle

If my memory serves me well, in my '87 2.3L in was the exhaust gas oxygen
sensor.
TomC

Eagle Creek <7734@46341.invalid> wrote in article
<LNidnZ2dnZ2MwtaynZ2dnfwnnN6dnZ2dRVn-0p2dnZ0@netnitco.net>...
>
> "David M" <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:pan.2005.08.15.23.06.20.879191@sled351...
> > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:45:20 -0500, Eagle Creek rearranged some

> electrons
> > to form:
> >
> > > 1996 Ranger 2.3L, 5 speed regular cab shortbed. recent (less than

> 5K
> > > miles) New double platinum plugs, new spark plug wires, air

> cleaner,
> > > PVC valve, oil change, oil filter. It ran just fine after the

> "tune
> > > up" for about 3K miles, then one day suddenly, it started this
> > > hesitation. Right now it has 120K+ miles.
> > > When first started, it starts fine and idles fine, But when I get

> it
> > > in reverse to back out of the garage it "hesitates and then revs up
> > > enough to back up. Same thing going forward and between gears. It

> gets
> > > less hesitant after it warms up. after about ten miles when I get

> off
> > > the Interstate and make my first stop, it ALMOST seems normal,

> only a
> > > very slight hesitation. Checked throttle position sensor with an

> analog
> > > ohm meter and slowly moved throttle through complete range.
> > > Ohm meter showed a nice steady movement, with initial reading of

> 1000
> > > ohms at closed throttle and a 4000 ohms at WOT.
> > >
> > > It kind of reminds me of the old carburated engines that had the
> > > squirter go bad in the carb.
> > >
> > > Sorry about being so long with the explanation, but I tried giving

> the
> > > best explanation I could.
> > >
> > > This is a great group and I've seen many good repair questions

> answered
> > > ..... soooooo I'm hoping you Guys and Gals can help me figure this
> > > problem out.
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> >
> > Fuel filter maybe? Just a thought.
> >
> > --
> > David M (dmacchiarolo)
> > http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
> > T/S 53
> > sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 17 days 20:26

>
>
> > Thanks for the reply .... I forgot to add that when it started

> doing this , I also changed the fuel filter.
> I know someone in this group will come up with an answer.... Thanks
> again
>
>

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:35.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.