F-150 safety - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2005, 18:01   #1 (permalink)
StreetMedic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
F-150 safety

Hi, all,

Just wanted to pass along a quick F-150 endorsement regarding safety.

Recently my parents were in a head-on smash at highway speed. A car
came across the median from the opposite direction, into their lane of
travel, and struck them almost perfectly straight-on.

With many years of EMS experience I have more than a nodding
acquaintance with how these things usually turn out.

However, they were both restrained and the airbags deployed. They were
hurt, but beyond even the completely mind-boggling fact that they weren't
killed on impact, they only spent the night in the ER and were sent home the
next morning .

I got a look at the truck a couple of days later at the salvage yard.
Again, running a few MVA calls in a career you get some experience sizing-up
wreckage of this sort. The vehicle, as you may have guessed, was totaled.
But, I have to say, from the front wheels back, save for some minor
wrinkling in the front doors, you'd never know the extent of the damage in
the front of the truck. Both front doors, (with a bit of snap, crackle, and
pop) still opened.

From the front wheels *forward*, however, was quite a different story.
The nose was dramatically caved in, and the engine mounts had, as designed,
given way. The engine compartment looked like it had been picked up and
shaken around. Which, come to think of it, I guess it had.

The interior was even more amazing than the exterior. The airbags were
deployed and the contents were tossed around, but, again, there was very
little other evidence of such a high-index collision. The glass, dashboard,
and steering column were all intact. There was no impingement into the
passenger compartment that I could see.

So, my point is simply this: a big, huge pat on the back to Ford and
their engineers. That truck was definitely one F-150 that lived up to the
safety hype. I would, of course, never wish such a thing on any of you
folks. I do hope, however, that if any of you of your loved ones are
unfortunate enough to experience such a horrific event, they're driving a
vehicle as sturdy as that F-150 was.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-22-2005, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
Keith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: F-150 safety

StreetMedic wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> Just wanted to pass along a quick F-150 endorsement regarding safety.
>
> Recently my parents were in a head-on smash at highway speed. <SNIP>
>
>

What year was the truck? I have a 2003 and have seen barrier crash test
videos that did not please me - very poor performance compared to Chev
and Toyota. However, I've heard that the 2004 changes have improved the
F-150's crash results considerably.

Keith
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 18:01   #3 (permalink)
StreetMedic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: F-150 safety


"Keith" <koliver*@at#nbnet*.dot#nb*.dot#ca> wrote in message
news:SzPgf.128132$Ph4.3927882@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> StreetMedic wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> Just wanted to pass along a quick F-150 endorsement regarding safety.
>>
>> Recently my parents were in a head-on smash at highway speed. <SNIP>
>>
>>

> What year was the truck? I have a 2003 and have seen barrier crash test
> videos that did not please me - very poor performance compared to Chev and
> Toyota. However, I've heard that the 2004 changes have improved the
> F-150's crash results considerably.
>
> Keith


Interesting. Well, as a matter of fact, it *was* an '04. A 2004
SuperCrew, to be exact.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Scott
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: F-150 safety


"StreetMedic" <zhyvaxxeSPAMMERJAMMER@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:CeCdnSJK2aAZIh7enZ2dnUVZ_tqdnZ2d@comcast.com...
> Hi, all,
>
> Just wanted to pass along a quick F-150 endorsement regarding safety.
>
> Recently my parents were in a head-on smash at highway speed. A car
> came across the median from the opposite direction, into their lane of
> travel, and struck them almost perfectly straight-on.
>
> With many years of EMS experience I have more than a nodding
> acquaintance with how these things usually turn out.
>
> However, they were both restrained and the airbags deployed. They were
> hurt, but beyond even the completely mind-boggling fact that they weren't
> killed on impact, they only spent the night in the ER and were sent home
> the next morning .
>
> I got a look at the truck a couple of days later at the salvage yard.
> Again, running a few MVA calls in a career you get some experience
> sizing-up wreckage of this sort. The vehicle, as you may have guessed,
> was totaled. But, I have to say, from the front wheels back, save for some
> minor wrinkling in the front doors, you'd never know the extent of the
> damage in the front of the truck. Both front doors, (with a bit of snap,
> crackle, and pop) still opened.
>
> From the front wheels *forward*, however, was quite a different story.
> The nose was dramatically caved in, and the engine mounts had, as
> designed, given way. The engine compartment looked like it had been
> picked up and shaken around. Which, come to think of it, I guess it had.
>
> The interior was even more amazing than the exterior. The airbags were
> deployed and the contents were tossed around, but, again, there was very
> little other evidence of such a high-index collision. The glass,
> dashboard, and steering column were all intact. There was no impingement
> into the passenger compartment that I could see.
>
> So, my point is simply this: a big, huge pat on the back to Ford and
> their engineers. That truck was definitely one F-150 that lived up to the
> safety hype. I would, of course, never wish such a thing on any of you
> folks. I do hope, however, that if any of you of your loved ones are
> unfortunate enough to experience such a horrific event, they're driving a
> vehicle as sturdy as that F-150 was.


Its great that a safety feature has worked so well. It makes me want to
choke the person that sued Ford because she was reclining in the
passenger seat of her mothers Aerostar with her feet on the airbag,
when her mother fell asleep and hit something. Result was she was
paralized from the waste down. She claimed that there was no notice
that it was dangerous in the van, though it is stated in the manual that
you should sit upright.
She sued Ford and won 15 million or so.
****ing idiots on juries. ****ing attourneys.



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
Keith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: F-150 safety

StreetMedic wrote:
> "Keith" <koliver*@at#nbnet*.dot#nb*.dot#ca> wrote in message
> news:SzPgf.128132$Ph4.3927882@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>
>>StreetMedic wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, all,
>>>
>>> Just wanted to pass along a quick F-150 endorsement regarding safety.
>>>
>>> Recently my parents were in a head-on smash at highway speed. <SNIP>
>>>
>>>

>>What year was the truck? I have a 2003 and have seen barrier crash test
>>videos that did not please me - very poor performance compared to Chev and
>>Toyota. However, I've heard that the 2004 changes have improved the
>>F-150's crash results considerably.
>>
>>Keith

>
>
> Interesting. Well, as a matter of fact, it *was* an '04. A 2004
> SuperCrew, to be exact.
>
>

I do collision reconstruction for a living. Believe me I know what the
difference between a well-constructed (ie performs well in barrier crash
tests)and a poorly designed vehicle can do. It amazes me that so many
people still don't buckle up. Airbags are only usefully if you're held
back by the belt.

Off-topic - I was sent this link about a crash test with a SmartCar -
something I thought wouldn't stand a chance in a real-world highway
crash. Maybe I was wrong. It's incredible what engineering can do.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...503480&q=crash

Glad your family came out of this OK

Keith
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 16:01   #6 (permalink)
Al Bundy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: F-150 safety

Keith, as someone that does collision work, would you say that a head
on impact like the OP describes does less damage to the cabin area than
a corner hit? I'm not arguing about the strength of the 150; only
saying that they were luckier that it was hit squarely.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Keith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: F-150 safety

Al Bundy wrote:
> Keith, as someone that does collision work, would you say that a head
> on impact like the OP describes does less damage to the cabin area than
> a corner hit? I'm not arguing about the strength of the 150; only
> saying that they were luckier that it was hit squarely.
>

Depends on what you mean by "corner hit".

Head-ons are usually more violent than angular but full-frontal
collisions (across the full front of the vehicle - like left headlamp to
right headlamp) because nearly all of the energy is transferred directly
into the vehicle, and subsequently to the occupant compartment. In
angular impacts, some of the energy is used in moving the vehicle to the
side and possibly even in sliding away from another. Energy cannot be
destroyed. Therefore if its not taken up in sliding/spinning, etc, it
all goes to crunching (energy transferred to heat and noise energy are
negligible).

Offset collisions, like left headlamp to left headlamp can be more
violent, especially for left-side passengers (in this scenario), as the
energy is being transferred over a narrower width of the vehicle. You
have less of the front of the car to absorb the energy and subsequently
its possible you may experience more intrusion into the occupant
compartment.

Of course, there are so many factors at play - vehicle masses and
heights, and angles at impact in particular - that this is all very much
a generalization.

Keith
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:01   #8 (permalink)
Big Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: F-150 safety


"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message
news:11o7nokthf0uj65@corp.supernews.com...
>
>
> Its great that a safety feature has worked so well. It makes me want to
> choke the person that sued Ford because she was reclining in the
> passenger seat of her mothers Aerostar with her feet on the airbag,
> when her mother fell asleep and hit something. Result was she was
> paralized from the waste down. She claimed that there was no notice
> that it was dangerous in the van, though it is stated in the manual that
> you should sit upright.
> She sued Ford and won 15 million or so.
> ****ing idiots on juries. ****ing attourneys.
>


These ridiculous lawsuits are costing us all a hell of a lot of money. Our
government is full of complete idiots, and WE elected them. What does that
say about all of us? Soon even France will look good:)

Al


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:01   #9 (permalink)
David Geesaman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: F-150 safety

"StreetMedic" <zhyvaxxeSPAMMERJAMMER@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:CeCdnSJK2aAZIh7enZ2dnUVZ_tqdnZ2d@comcast.com...
> So, my point is simply this: a big, huge pat on the back to Ford and
> their engineers. That truck was definitely one F-150 that lived up to the
> safety hype. I would, of course, never wish such a thing on any of you
> folks. I do hope, however, that if any of you of your loved ones are
> unfortunate enough to experience such a horrific event, they're driving a
> vehicle as sturdy as that F-150 was.


I'm happy to hear your parents did so well. Unfortunately this is a
very sad topic in general.

There are literally 2 sides to every story. While I'm happy to hear it
sounds like your parents were not at fault in any way, (which endorses some
kind of karma because they were unhurt), you didn't say what happened to the
occupants of the other vehicle. In most such crashes, the car occupants do
all the dying.
Fact is, the truck is built on heavy rails that don't like to bend or
buckle. As well, if it has 4wd, it sets them up high enough to avoid the
hard parts of most other vehicles. If the 4wd hits a car, the truck will
essentially kick the car the other way and do all damage at head-high.
Those occupants are usually killed by blunt head trauma (regardless of the
airbags). One persons dick extension on float tires becomes the next guys'
guillotine. So while it 'worked' for one side, it was a very damaging
collision that would have been much less horrifying if it was simply two
cars.
As well, if your parents had hit something solid, they would not be so
fortunate. The F-150s (especially from the mid-90s and earlier) do poorly
when striking poles, trees, abutments, etc. The apparent 'protection' of
the cabin and frame basically convert the truck itself into solid wall for
the occupants to smack into. A medium sized car protects the occupants much
better. Not to mention how often the 4wds pop overtop of guardrails and
land in rivers/lakes/gulleys/cliffs, and how the cabins tend to crush in a
rollover accident.
The 2004s aren't as bad as most on the road, and they're better than the
old ones, but they still lag the bulk of the nation's motorpool. So I'll
argue their 'safety engineering' only exists because they're forced to by
federal regulators. Otherwise, Ford (or GM or anyone) would be selling
5000lb 1/2tons with harvesting blades on the front grill. I don't believe
F150s are unsafe, rather, that they are very incompatible with other
vehicles.


Dave


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.