ford diesel truck takes too long to start. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 13:01   #1 (permalink)
cell_x
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
ford diesel truck takes too long to start.

Hello,

My dad has a 1988 Ford F-250 7.3lt diesel truck and it's taking longer
to start up these days. Sure it's winter but it's also like 55-60 in
the day time when trying to start it. It get's plugged in at night
and you can feel the engine chassi and it feels warm in the morning.
The fuel filter, the "candles' (i guess they are sparkplugs), starter,
and the 2 batteries have been swapped out with new ones.

any idea or help on this one?

thanks for your time,
cellx

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2006, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
Doc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ford diesel truck takes too long to start.

Please wait 30 sec. after turning on the key before starting.

"cell_x" <cell_x@hushmail.com> wrote in message
news:1136235222.281256.233210@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> My dad has a 1988 Ford F-250 7.3lt diesel truck and it's taking longer
> to start up these days. Sure it's winter but it's also like 55-60 in
> the day time when trying to start it. It get's plugged in at night
> and you can feel the engine chassi and it feels warm in the morning.
> The fuel filter, the "candles' (i guess they are sparkplugs), starter,
> and the 2 batteries have been swapped out with new ones.
>
> any idea or help on this one?
>
> thanks for your time,
> cellx
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ford diesel truck takes too long to start.

more info is needed. "longer to start" do you mean it cranks, but will not
fire, or it fires up dies and then cranks for a while before firing again.
how long does the wait to start light stay on?? what type glow-plugs were
put in??
"cell_x" <cell_x@hushmail.com> wrote in message
news:1136235222.281256.233210@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> My dad has a 1988 Ford F-250 7.3lt diesel truck and it's taking longer
> to start up these days. Sure it's winter but it's also like 55-60 in
> the day time when trying to start it. It get's plugged in at night
> and you can feel the engine chassi and it feels warm in the morning.
> The fuel filter, the "candles' (i guess they are sparkplugs), starter,
> and the 2 batteries have been swapped out with new ones.
>
> any idea or help on this one?
>
> thanks for your time,
> cellx
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:01   #4 (permalink)
cell_x
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ford diesel truck takes too long to start.

> more info is needed. "longer to start" do you mean it cranks, but will not
> fire, or it fires up dies and then cranks for a while before firing again.
> how long does the wait to start light stay on?? what type glow-plugs were
> put in??


The trucks actualy fires up but then dies within 5 second, after that
it does not want to fire up again. Takes like 15 minutes to fire up
good. My dad tries not to crank it up to much to prevent the starter
from burning up.

The "wait for start light" lasts for 8 seconds.

The type of glow-plugs are Motorcraft (he got them at AutoZone).

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:01   #5 (permalink)
tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ford diesel truck takes too long to start.

ok, it seems you may have a few different problems.
#1 look at the fuel filter housing. on the top of motor side of the
housing, there is a tire valve type fitting, and there may be a fitting next
to it with a line that goes down to the injector return lines. if this line
is still connected, get a small pair of vice grip pliers and clamp them on
the line, blocking it off. if the truck starts after sitting overnight, you
have found the problem. cap off the line, and plug the filter housing. this
line removal was a tsb from ford back in 89 or 90. the line is not needed,
and all it does is lets air into the system,and the fuel filter empties back
to the tank.
#2 a wait to start of 8 seconds is about rite. I crank for about 10 seconds,
then cycle the key off and back on, wait for the light to go back out (about
5 seconds), then it starts up. I also use full throttle to start.
the motorcraft ZD9 glow-plugs are ok, but next time tell him to try to get
the beru plugs
"cell_x" <cell_x@hushmail.com> wrote in message
news:1136298719.797019.69580@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > more info is needed. "longer to start" do you mean it cranks, but will

not
> > fire, or it fires up dies and then cranks for a while before firing

again.
> > how long does the wait to start light stay on?? what type glow-plugs

were
> > put in??

>
> The trucks actualy fires up but then dies within 5 second, after that
> it does not want to fire up again. Takes like 15 minutes to fire up
> good. My dad tries not to crank it up to much to prevent the starter
> from burning up.
>
> The "wait for start light" lasts for 8 seconds.
>
> The type of glow-plugs are Motorcraft (he got them at AutoZone).
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:01   #6 (permalink)
tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ford diesel truck takes too long to start.

also, if you have a doubt, email me and I will take a picture to show you
what I mean on the filter housing
"cell_x" <cell_x@hushmail.com> wrote in message
news:1136235222.281256.233210@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> My dad has a 1988 Ford F-250 7.3lt diesel truck and it's taking longer
> to start up these days. Sure it's winter but it's also like 55-60 in
> the day time when trying to start it. It get's plugged in at night
> and you can feel the engine chassi and it feels warm in the morning.
> The fuel filter, the "candles' (i guess they are sparkplugs), starter,
> and the 2 batteries have been swapped out with new ones.
>
> any idea or help on this one?
>
> thanks for your time,
> cellx
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:37.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.