How to get a 1994 SVT Lightning computer to handle no AOD? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
Thomas Cameron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
How to get a 1994 SVT Lightning computer to handle no AOD?

I have a 1994 SVT Lightning engine (EFI 351W) complete with computer and
wiring harness that I am putting into a '68 Mustang coupe. My mechanic
tells me that the computer will balk because I'm not using the AOD tranny.
What do I need to do to make this computer ignore the fact that there's
no AOD tranny? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Thomas
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-23-2005, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
lugnut
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to get a 1994 SVT Lightning computer to handle no AOD?

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:53:47 GMT, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:

>I have a 1994 SVT Lightning engine (EFI 351W) complete with computer and
>wiring harness that I am putting into a '68 Mustang coupe. My mechanic
>tells me that the computer will balk because I'm not using the AOD tranny.
> What do I need to do to make this computer ignore the fact that there's
>no AOD tranny? Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks!
>Thomas



Your 94 did not have an AOD. It was in front of an E4OD if
it was an automatic. All of the truck 351's from '90 thru
96 used the E4OD if auto. The AOD(E) would never handle the
thing. I do not recall if the Lightnin' ever came with a 5
speed but, a 5 speed ECM would be the ticket. The next
easiest way would be to use an ECM from an earlier model
that had a manual trans. There are also custom chip burners
out there that will build you a setup for yur ECM. This
would be an add-on between the ECM and the 60 pin connector.
You might want to check with Baumann Brothers in Anderson,
SC. They have a lot going with auto but, may be able to
either help you or steer you i nthe right direction. You
will also need a matching wire harness unless you are will
to expend a lot of patience with a couple of wiring diagrams
to get it right.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
Thomas Cameron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to get a 1994 SVT Lightning computer to handle no AOD?

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:48:44 -0400, lugnut wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:53:47 GMT, Thomas Cameron
> <thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a 1994 SVT Lightning engine (EFI 351W) complete with computer and
>>wiring harness that I am putting into a '68 Mustang coupe. My mechanic
>>tells me that the computer will balk because I'm not using the AOD tranny.
>> What do I need to do to make this computer ignore the fact that there's
>>no AOD tranny? Any suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>Thomas

>
>
> Your 94 did not have an AOD. It was in front of an E4OD if
> it was an automatic. All of the truck 351's from '90 thru
> 96 used the E4OD if auto. The AOD(E) would never handle the
> thing.



> I do not recall if the Lightnin' ever came with a 5
> speed but, a 5 speed ECM would be the ticket. The next
> easiest way would be to use an ECM from an earlier model
> that had a manual trans. There are also custom chip burners
> out there that will build you a setup for yur ECM. This
> would be an add-on between the ECM and the 60 pin connector.
> You might want to check with Baumann Brothers in Anderson,
> SC. They have a lot going with auto but, may be able to
> either help you or steer you i nthe right direction. You
> will also need a matching wire harness unless you are will
> to expend a lot of patience with a couple of wiring diagrams
> to get it right.



Very good info, thanks a lot!

Thomas
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Thomas Cameron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to get a 1994 SVT Lightning computer to handle no AOD?

I know nothing about the E40D tranny. Assuming it will fit in the
transmission tunnel, would it make sense to buy it from the same wreck I
got the motor from and put it into the Mustang? As a truck tranny, would
it drive correctly in a Mustang (i.e. gearing)?

The yard wants $700 for it. Is it worth it?

Thanks a bunch!

Thomas
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
lugnut
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to get a 1994 SVT Lightning computer to handle no AOD?

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:31:00 GMT, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:

>I know nothing about the E40D tranny. Assuming it will fit in the
>transmission tunnel, would it make sense to buy it from the same wreck I
>got the motor from and put it into the Mustang? As a truck tranny, would
>it drive correctly in a Mustang (i.e. gearing)?
>
>The yard wants $700 for it. Is it worth it?
>
>Thanks a bunch!
>
>Thomas



The E4OD would be a healthy trans for it in the "Stang. The
E4OD is loosely based on the C6 3 speed which was just about
bulletproof. If you plan on regular thrashing at the strip,
it should be beefed and updated as would be the case with
any other stock trans. It has been used quite successfully
in certain types of racing - especially offroad racing. The
gearing is very close if not identical to a C6. 4th is
about .7:1 which means you could easily use 3:73 or lower
rear gears and still maintain a decent cruise RPM. Again,
Bauman Bros. would be a good source of beefing parts if you
decide to go that way. I have used TPU here in Atlanta as a
source of parts to build mine but, they are not real deep
into the fullon performance parts for it like some others.

Another possibility for your ECM I had forgotten is that
Ford built a short run of about 248 '93 Mustangs with a 351W
very similar to the Lightnin' engine. IIRC, they were
conservatively rated around 320HP with near identical
internals and, with no emission certification. They all had
a 5 speed trans as they were built for the race circuit and
sold only to licensed racers (oh, yeah! Torque everywhere by
the bucket fulls!). Ford Motorsport at one time had the ECM
and wiring harness for the thing listed for service. For
that matter, Motorsport has been known to pass out some good
tech info for this sort of thing if nicely asked. Sorry I
do not have their support info number.

Good luck
Lugnut
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 18:01   #6 (permalink)
QKSTNG557
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to get a 1994 SVT Lightning computer to handle no AOD?

"" wrote:
> I have a 1994 SVT Lightning engine (EFI 351W) complete with
> computer and
> wiring harness that I am putting into a '68 Mustang coupe. My
> mechanic
> tells me that the computer will balk because I'm not using the
> AOD tranny.
> What do I need to do to make this computer ignore the fact
> that there's
> no AOD tranny? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Thomas


What is the PCM code? I can delete the trans info and you will have no
problem running an AOD behind it.. The E4OD will not fit without MAJOR
hammer and fab time plus the weight..

Tony G

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-1994-...ict130366.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=640415
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:03.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.