incorrect oil put in V6 F-150 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11   #1 (permalink)
Pawel Slusarz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
incorrect oil put in V6 F-150

Hi all,
A Dodge dealership where I bought my used F-150 offers oil change service
where I only pay for parts. However, they put in 10W30 oil in there, while
the engine requires 5W20 according to the manual (it's 4.2L V6). When I
brought this up with the floor manager, he said it's ok, and refused to
drain and change it to the factory spec one. Having no way to get it changed
over the weekend, I drove the truck for 200+ miles, but I thought I'll rush
to another shop on Monday to get it all changed to 5W20. Or is it indeed "no
big deal" like the manager at the dealership was saying and I should just
keep driving it until the next oil change is due?
Thanks,
Paul

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11   #2 (permalink)
alfredB18@prodigy.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: incorrect oil put in V6 F-150



Pawel Slusarz wrote:
> Hi all,
> A Dodge dealership where I bought my used F-150 offers oil change service
> where I only pay for parts. However, they put in 10W30 oil in there, while
> the engine requires 5W20 according to the manual (it's 4.2L V6). When I
> brought this up with the floor manager, he said it's ok, and refused to
> drain and change it to the factory spec one. Having no way to get it changed
> over the weekend, I drove the truck for 200+ miles, but I thought I'll rush
> to another shop on Monday to get it all changed to 5W20. Or is it indeed "no
> big deal" like the manager at the dealership was saying and I should just
> keep driving it until the next oil change is due?
> Thanks,
> Paul


No big deal. IF it was, you'd have wrecked the valvetrain, among other
things in the engine, by now.

Allegedly, 5-20 is offered for emissions reasons from the factory.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11   #3 (permalink)
David M
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: incorrect oil put in V6 F-150

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:29:59 -0500, Pawel Slusarz rearranged some
electrons to form:

> Hi all,
> A Dodge dealership where I bought my used F-150 offers oil change service
> where I only pay for parts. However, they put in 10W30 oil in there, while
> the engine requires 5W20 according to the manual (it's 4.2L V6). When I
> brought this up with the floor manager, he said it's ok, and refused to
> drain and change it to the factory spec one. Having no way to get it changed
> over the weekend, I drove the truck for 200+ miles, but I thought I'll rush
> to another shop on Monday to get it all changed to 5W20. Or is it indeed "no
> big deal" like the manager at the dealership was saying and I should just
> keep driving it until the next oil change is due?
> Thanks,
> Paul


It won't hurt it.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
T/S 53
sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 19 days 2:40

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11   #4 (permalink)
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: incorrect oil put in V6 F-150

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:29:59 -0500, "Pawel Slusarz"
<wiedzmin@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>A Dodge dealership where I bought my used F-150 offers oil change service
>where I only pay for parts. However, they put in 10W30 oil in there, while
>the engine requires 5W20 according to the manual (it's 4.2L V6). When I
>brought this up with the floor manager, he said it's ok, and refused to
>drain and change it to the factory spec one. Having no way to get it changed
>over the weekend, I drove the truck for 200+ miles, but I thought I'll rush
>to another shop on Monday to get it all changed to 5W20. Or is it indeed "no
>big deal" like the manager at the dealership was saying and I should just
>keep driving it until the next oil change is due?
>Thanks,
>Paul


Not an issue. 5W20 is usually spec'd for emissions and mileage
reasons. Ford sys I'm supposed to run their 5W20 oil on my SuperDuty.
I run 10W30 and I've got 68,000 hard worked miles on it - zero
problems.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11   #5 (permalink)
TranSurgeon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
stupid government standards...............was Re: incorrect oil put in V6 F-150

oh, for shits sake

just drive the damned thing till its time to change it

you want to know WHY it 'requires' 5W20 ???

because the Great God of C.A.F.E. decreed so

you see, they can get a TINY bit more 'fuel economy' out of it on the dyno
during the EPA tests, and that keeps the Feds off their asses

it's all a big game, you see

want to know why GM 4T60E/65E FWD automatics keep breaking parts ? cause GM
shaved too much metal out of 'em, trying to keep weight down to appease the
CAFE gods

why did Ford start out the E4OD with an ALUMONUM planet carrier in the OD
section ? same reason

why does Dodge offer a 'reflash' of the ECM in pick-ups to eleiminate ping ?
because they fudged on the EPA teasts, running timing too close to the edge
of the envelope, to fool the CAFE gods

rant over, soapbox available

G




"Pawel Slusarz" <wiedzmin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:_aidnUmXev2DbTHfRVn-pw@centurytel.net...
> Hi all,
> A Dodge dealership where I bought my used F-150 offers oil change service
> where I only pay for parts. However, they put in 10W30 oil in there, while
> the engine requires 5W20 according to the manual (it's 4.2L V6). When I
> brought this up with the floor manager, he said it's ok, and refused to
> drain and change it to the factory spec one. Having no way to get it

changed
> over the weekend, I drove the truck for 200+ miles, but I thought I'll

rush
> to another shop on Monday to get it all changed to 5W20. Or is it indeed

"no
> big deal" like the manager at the dealership was saying and I should just
> keep driving it until the next oil change is due?
> Thanks,
> Paul
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11   #6 (permalink)
Pawel Slusarz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: incorrect oil put in V6 F-150

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net>
wrote in message
news:cj8qa19edbehk6uf8dmqk069kh45sept6e@4ax.com...

> Not an issue. 5W20 is usually spec'd for emissions and

mileage
> reasons. Ford sys I'm supposed to run their 5W20 oil on my

SuperDuty.
> I run 10W30 and I've got 68,000 hard worked miles on it - zero
> problems.


Thanks for your and everybody else's replies. So why are you
using 10W30 instead of what the factory says? is 5W20 more
expensive than 10W30? Or is 10W30 better at protecting engine
from wear, or something different altogether?

Paul


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11   #7 (permalink)
user@domain.invalid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: incorrect oil put in V6 F-150

Looks like we need a thread on oil and grades and why and whynot now
that we all know eithering thing there is not know about octane.

Pawel Slusarz wrote:
> "The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net>
> wrote in message
> news:cj8qa19edbehk6uf8dmqk069kh45sept6e@4ax.com...
>
>
>>Not an issue. 5W20 is usually spec'd for emissions and

>
> mileage
>
>>reasons. Ford sys I'm supposed to run their 5W20 oil on my

>
> SuperDuty.
>
>>I run 10W30 and I've got 68,000 hard worked miles on it - zero
>>problems.

>
>
> Thanks for your and everybody else's replies. So why are you
> using 10W30 instead of what the factory says? is 5W20 more
> expensive than 10W30? Or is 10W30 better at protecting engine
> from wear, or something different altogether?
>
> Paul
>
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11   #8 (permalink)
Hairy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: incorrect oil put in V6 F-150


<user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
news:42ADAE4A.4080005@domain.invalid...
> Looks like we need a thread on oil and grades and why and whynot now
> that we all know eithering thing there is not know about octane.
>


Could you say that again.......in english, this time?


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11   #9 (permalink)
user@domain.invalid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: incorrect oil put in V6 F-150

Dear Mr. English Major,

Just using the language that everyone else uses on this group. You get
the drift. I do not know why but I can type something and read it and it
look OK then come back and read it 30 minutes later and see it is all
messed up. I give up. Old age I guess.




Hairy wrote:
> <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> news:42ADAE4A.4080005@domain.invalid...
>
>>Looks like we need a thread on oil and grades and why and whynot now
>>that we all know eithering thing there is not know about octane.
>>

>
>
> Could you say that again.......in english, this time?
>
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11   #10 (permalink)
SnoMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: incorrect oil put in V6 F-150

"alfredB18" wrote:
>Pawel Slusarz wrote:
>
>
>No big deal. IF it was, youd have wrecked the valvetrain,
>among other
>things in the engine, by now.
>
>Allegedly, 5-20 is offered for emissions reasons from the factory.


In the summer it is no problem at all. The reason they use it is for
MPG as the thinner oil has less shear resistance and consumes less
power. It is splitting hairs for sure but every little be helps.
Personally I think 5w20 is too light for summer use in a car with AC
and I would use 10w30 during hotter months anyway.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-incor...ict124294.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=605364
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:17.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.