limited skip how do you test? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
pete
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
limited skip how do you test?

I have a 02 FX4. It has the 4.10 with limited slip rear end. I had to stick
into 4X4 to back up the drive and was wondering if anybody knows of a way to
test the limited ship.

Thanks


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-07-2005, 04:01   #2 (permalink)
David M
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: limited skip how do you test?

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 04:30:54 -0500, pete rearranged some electrons to
form:

> I have a 02 FX4. It has the 4.10 with limited slip rear end. I had to stick
> into 4X4 to back up the drive and was wondering if anybody knows of a way to
> test the limited ship.
>
> Thanks


Jack up the rear end. If you can turn one wheel, and the other
one turns in the opposite direction, you don't have limited slip.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
T/S 53
sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 20 days 7:09

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:01   #3 (permalink)
TheSnoMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: limited skip how do you test?

pete wrote:
> I have a 02 FX4. It has the 4.10 with limited slip rear end. I had to stick
> into 4X4 to back up the drive and was wondering if anybody knows of a way to
> test the limited ship.
>
> Thanks
>
>



With the type ford uses it is a preloaded design and with one rear tire
of ground, truck in neutral it should take about 50 ft lbs or effort to
rotate the tire. Also if you jack up both rear wheel and turn one, the
both should tun in same direction (truck in neutral)

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
351CJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: limited skip how do you test?


"pete" <//mr.pj@core.com> wrote in message
news:11pdaui6ulem4c@corp.supernews.com...
>I have a 02 FX4. It has the 4.10 with limited slip rear end. I had to stick
>into 4X4 to back up the drive and was wondering if anybody knows of a way
>to test the limited ship.
>
> Thanks
>
>


The first two posters told you how to check, I just have to know was the
driveway icy and up hill, and did you have no weight in the back of the
truck???

If so, that would explain why your limited slip rear end did not make any
difference...


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 18:01   #5 (permalink)
Tom Levigne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: limited skip how do you test?

Limited slip does not work in reverse.

"pete" <//mr.pj@core.com> wrote in message
news:11pdaui6ulem4c@corp.supernews.com...
>I have a 02 FX4. It has the 4.10 with limited slip rear end. I had to stick
>into 4X4 to back up the drive and was wondering if anybody knows of a way
>to test the limited ship.
>
> Thanks
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 18:01   #6 (permalink)
Spdloader
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: limited skip how do you test?

uh, what?

Spdloader


"Tom Levigne" <toml37@excite.com> wrote in message
news:pFLlf.690$nm.317@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Limited slip does not work in reverse.
>
> "pete" <//mr.pj@core.com> wrote in message
> news:11pdaui6ulem4c@corp.supernews.com...
>>I have a 02 FX4. It has the 4.10 with limited slip rear end. I had to
>>stick into 4X4 to back up the drive and was wondering if anybody knows of
>>a way to test the limited ship.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 18:01   #7 (permalink)
351CJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: limited skip how do you test?

How is that?

Fords limited slips are unidirectional, there is no way for the friction
clutch pack to know what direction the drive shaft and or axels are turning.
Forward or reverse does not cause limited slip to "work" since the limited
slip doesn't work/not work~engage/disengage in the first place. It is simply
a friction clutch between the left and right axles.


"Tom Levigne" <toml37@excite.com> wrote in message
news:pFLlf.690$nm.317@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Limited slip does not work in reverse.
>
> "pete" <//mr.pj@core.com> wrote in message
> news:11pdaui6ulem4c@corp.supernews.com...
>>I have a 02 FX4. It has the 4.10 with limited slip rear end. I had to
>>stick into 4X4 to back up the drive and was wondering if anybody knows of
>>a way to test the limited ship.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:01   #8 (permalink)
IYM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: limited skip how do you test?

"an as any-one whoose got stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, one wheel
toyns, da udder does na-ting"

Gotta watch "My Cousin Vinny" for a lesson in rear differentials by a "hair
dressa"!!

Scott

"351CJ" <351CJ@msn.com> wrote in message
news:HqMlf.8115$xg1.6338@trnddc03...
> How is that?
>
> Fords limited slips are unidirectional, there is no way for the friction
> clutch pack to know what direction the drive shaft and or axels are

turning.
> Forward or reverse does not cause limited slip to "work" since the limited
> slip doesn't work/not work~engage/disengage in the first place. It is

simply
> a friction clutch between the left and right axles.
>
>
> "Tom Levigne" <toml37@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:pFLlf.690$nm.317@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> > Limited slip does not work in reverse.
> >
> > "pete" <//mr.pj@core.com> wrote in message
> > news:11pdaui6ulem4c@corp.supernews.com...
> >>I have a 02 FX4. It has the 4.10 with limited slip rear end. I had to
> >>stick into 4X4 to back up the drive and was wondering if anybody knows

of
> >>a way to test the limited ship.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >>

> >
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:01   #9 (permalink)
CJB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: limited skip how do you test?


"351CJ" <351CJ@msn.com> wrote in message news:UxHlf.2128$EB3.730@trnddc09...
>
> "pete" <//mr.pj@core.com> wrote in message
> news:11pdaui6ulem4c@corp.supernews.com...
> >I have a 02 FX4. It has the 4.10 with limited slip rear end. I had to

stick
> >into 4X4 to back up the drive and was wondering if anybody knows of a way
> >to test the limited ship.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >

>
> The first two posters told you how to check, I just have to know was the
> driveway icy and up hill, and did you have no weight in the back of the
> truck???
>
> If so, that would explain why your limited slip rear end did not make any
> difference...
>
>


You're so right. A lot of folks think that limited slip means that the rear
tires won't spin and slip. In fact, if you're in really slippery
conditions, limited slip can make a vehicle harder to control because BOTH
back wheels have lost their place on the road. Of course, when that
happens, you get even more "fishtailing" than you would with an open axle.

CJB


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 19:01   #10 (permalink)
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: limited skip how do you test?

On 08 Dec 2005 08:38:20 EST, "IYM" <sunrisr@optonline.net> wrote:

>"an as any-one whoose got stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, one wheel
>toyns, da udder does na-ting"
>
>Gotta watch "My Cousin Vinny" for a lesson in rear differentials by a "hair
>dressa"!!


I'd like to address her biological clock issues...
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.