need help with ford van - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2005, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
william farris
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
need help with ford van

I have an 88 ford e-150 van with a straight 6 fuel injected the problem
is it will run for about 30 seconds and run out of fuel
I know it is fuel because I kept it running with carb cleaner
it has dual tanks both tank pumps are working I disconnected the lines
and turned the key on and fuel came out I had to replace the pump on the
frame so I bought a new one and I am only getting 20lbs of pressure the
book says 45-65psi so I replaced the fuel regulator and it made no
difference
any ideas Thanks

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-03-2005, 07:02   #2 (permalink)
Dave D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: need help with ford van


"william farris" <FARRIS53063@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:4701-42C75268-674@storefull-3351.bay.webtv.net...
>I have an 88 ford e-150 van with a straight 6 fuel injected the problem
> is it will run for about 30 seconds and run out of fuel
> I know it is fuel because I kept it running with carb cleaner
> it has dual tanks both tank pumps are working I disconnected the lines
> and turned the key on and fuel came out I had to replace the pump on the
> frame so I bought a new one and I am only getting 20lbs of pressure the
> book says 45-65psi so I replaced the fuel regulator and it made no
> difference
> any ideas Thanks


Did you replace ALL of the fuel filters? IIRC there are at least two filters
between the tanks and the fuel rail. How about a partially blocked standpipe
in one of the tanks or a blocked fuel line? Failing that, is the relay that
turns the fuel pump on/off working correctly.

Dave D


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:02   #3 (permalink)
william farris
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: need help with ford van

I changed the filters and checked the lines for blockage they are clear.
I even run a hot wire from the battery directly to the pumps still only
20 lbs pressure, I am wondering if the new fuel pump is bad from the
factory

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:01   #4 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: need help with ford van


Is the pressure low on both tanks (Do you have a 1 pump or 2 pump system?)
If it is one pump, than defiantly I'd look hard at that.

--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician
ASE Undercar Specialist


"william farris" <FARRIS53063@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:4840-42D11CA6-160@storefull-3353.bay.webtv.net...
>I changed the filters and checked the lines for blockage they are clear.
> I even run a hot wire from the battery directly to the pumps still only
> 20 lbs pressure, I am wondering if the new fuel pump is bad from the
> factory
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
william farris
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: need help with ford van

it is a 2 pump system and it has dual tanks both fuel tanks are pumping
fuel

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 23:01   #6 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: need help with ford van

So with the pressure gauge hooked up, does the pressure change at all when
switching tanks?
It would be doubtful that both pumps are running the same pressure.

--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician
ASE Undercar Specialist



"william farris" <FARRIS53063@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:4839-42D17C1A-688@storefull-3353.bay.webtv.net...
> it is a 2 pump system and it has dual tanks both fuel tanks are pumping
> fuel
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:01   #7 (permalink)
Big Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: need help with ford van


"Steve" <hansensw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:gsnAe.1119114$w62.51220@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> So with the pressure gauge hooked up, does the pressure change at all when
> switching tanks?
> It would be doubtful that both pumps are running the same pressure.
>
> --
> Stephen W. Hansen


What about the valve between the tanks? What year is the van?

Al


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
william farris
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: need help with ford van

the van is an 88 and the fuel pressure did not change between tanks
I went ahead and got another high pressure pump and I got 50lbs pressure
that was the problem just because it was new doesn't mean it is good I
found that out Thanks for all your help

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:15.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.