New to group, and need help... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 11:01   #1 (permalink)
dbpbandit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
New to group, and need help...

I'm trying to restore my Grandpas 1965 Ford F250 and I could really use
some help... I've been working on this truck - on and off - for years
but now I really need to get focused and get it done. Being such a
simple, basic vehicle you would think it would be easy to do - but it
seems like every time I go into a parts store, the kids behind the
counter have no clue how to look up parts for something that's not in
the computer. Took them 30 min. to get me a set of points for the thing
and the kid helping me had no clue as to what purpose they served.
currently, I'm working on the steering column, I'm looking for the pin
that connects the shifter lever to the 3 speed column shift collar. I
just ordered the other related parts from LMC but they don't carry the
pin and I don't have the original. Does anyone know of a good source
for these? Or maybe something else besides a screw, bailing wire and
duct tape? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...

-Dave

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-28-2005, 12:01   #2 (permalink)
Hairy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New to group, and need help...


"dbpbandit" <davep@premierbev.com> wrote in message
news:1127923000.017069.44300@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm trying to restore my Grandpas 1965 Ford F250 and I could really use
> some help... I've been working on this truck - on and off - for years
> but now I really need to get focused and get it done. Being such a
> simple, basic vehicle you would think it would be easy to do - but it
> seems like every time I go into a parts store, the kids behind the
> counter have no clue how to look up parts for something that's not in
> the computer. Took them 30 min. to get me a set of points for the thing
> and the kid helping me had no clue as to what purpose they served.
> currently, I'm working on the steering column, I'm looking for the pin
> that connects the shifter lever to the 3 speed column shift collar. I
> just ordered the other related parts from LMC but they don't carry the
> pin and I don't have the original. Does anyone know of a good source
> for these? Or maybe something else besides a screw, bailing wire and
> duct tape? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...
>
> -Dave
>


Don't know what kind of pin it is, but if it's a common roll pin, any good
hardware store should have a good selection to pick from.

Dave


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:01   #3 (permalink)
Ulysses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New to group, and need help...

Did you try Ford parts dept? www.jcwhitney.com also has some stuff for
older cars. Here's a parts list for a '65 F250 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...k-F100-F250-19
64-1965_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10076QQitemZ4559419888QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZ
WD1V#ebayphotohosting

Occasionally you can find someone parting out an old truck on eBay but you
have to keep looking.

Have fun. This is why I told my daughter that if she wants a '65 Mustang
she needs to marry an auto mechanic ;-)



> I'm trying to restore my Grandpas 1965 Ford F250 and I could really use
> some help... I've been working on this truck - on and off - for years
> but now I really need to get focused and get it done. Being such a
> simple, basic vehicle you would think it would be easy to do - but it
> seems like every time I go into a parts store, the kids behind the
> counter have no clue how to look up parts for something that's not in
> the computer. Took them 30 min. to get me a set of points for the thing
> and the kid helping me had no clue as to what purpose they served.
> currently, I'm working on the steering column, I'm looking for the pin
> that connects the shifter lever to the 3 speed column shift collar. I
> just ordered the other related parts from LMC but they don't carry the
> pin and I don't have the original. Does anyone know of a good source
> for these? Or maybe something else besides a screw, bailing wire and
> duct tape? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...
>
> -Dave
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 15:02   #4 (permalink)
websurfer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New to group, and need help...


"Hairy" <hairy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3pvvkeFcfcuuU1@individual.net...
>
> "dbpbandit" <davep@premierbev.com> wrote in message
> news:1127923000.017069.44300@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> I'm trying to restore my Grandpas 1965 Ford F250 and I could really use
>> some help... I've been working on this truck - on and off - for years
>> but now I really need to get focused and get it done. Being such a
>> simple, basic vehicle you would think it would be easy to do - but it
>> seems like every time I go into a parts store, the kids behind the
>> counter have no clue how to look up parts for something that's not in
>> the computer. Took them 30 min. to get me a set of points for the thing
>> and the kid helping me had no clue as to what purpose they served.
>> currently, I'm working on the steering column, I'm looking for the pin
>> that connects the shifter lever to the 3 speed column shift collar. I
>> just ordered the other related parts from LMC but they don't carry the
>> pin and I don't have the original. Does anyone know of a good source
>> for these? Or maybe something else besides a screw, bailing wire and
>> duct tape? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...
>>
>> -Dave
>>

>
> Don't know what kind of pin it is, but if it's a common roll pin, any good
> hardware store should have a good selection to pick from.
>
> Dave
>
>

I believe that's all it is, a common roll pin. Try to find a nail or
something that fits semi-tightly in the hole and take that with you to the
hardware store and just ask the clerk for that size roll pin... He should be
able to fix you right up, or at least one close enough to work..


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
ross via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New to group, and need help...

And you might try a real autoparrts store - NAPA. A good size napa store
will have those pins in stock and be able to find most any part you need.
They do NOT sell scooters like PEP Boys. Carquest also supplies the "trade"
and does not really go after the weekend mechanic -

If you become a regular at a real store, you will probably find one of the
guys who knows your truck pretty well - most of the counter people are ex-
mechanics.


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...truck/200509/1
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:01   #6 (permalink)
mikecarson_07@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New to group, and need help...

www.slick60s.org

Someone there WILL have your answer.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:01   #7 (permalink)
Bill M
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New to group, and need help...

If it's a roll pin you need, a set of drills is good for measuring hose
size. If it's a 3/16 hole, don't ask for a 3/16 pin. Say "A roll pin for a
3/16" hole." They squeeze down a bit and stay tight. McMaster-Carr has
them, but not everyone gets to shop there. If you find them on WWW you will
also find a wealth of information about spring pins.

Bill M


"dbpbandit" <davep@premierbev.com> wrote in message
news:1127923000.017069.44300@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm trying to restore my Grandpas 1965 Ford F250 and I could really use
> some help... I've been working on this truck - on and off - for years
> but now I really need to get focused and get it done. Being such a
> simple, basic vehicle you would think it would be easy to do - but it
> seems like every time I go into a parts store, the kids behind the
> counter have no clue how to look up parts for something that's not in
> the computer. Took them 30 min. to get me a set of points for the thing
> and the kid helping me had no clue as to what purpose they served.
> currently, I'm working on the steering column, I'm looking for the pin
> that connects the shifter lever to the 3 speed column shift collar. I
> just ordered the other related parts from LMC but they don't carry the
> pin and I don't have the original. Does anyone know of a good source
> for these? Or maybe something else besides a screw, bailing wire and
> duct tape? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...
>
> -Dave
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:01   #8 (permalink)
dbpbandit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New to group, and need help...

Thanks for all of the feedback. I did try all of the "real" auto parts
stores and surprisingly I came across a few older guys who actually
knew what I was talking about. I also talked to a guy over at a
"commercial" Ford truck parts dealer. He looked for about 10 min and
finally found it in a book. Unfortunately, it isn't a roll pin, that
would just fall straight through, it's a "Spring Pin" and Ford no
longer makes/carries them. I also hit a couple of wrecking yards and
the few 3 speeds I found all had the shifter rigged with something
else. I will keep looking until I get my parts in but if I can't find
one I guess I will have to make one. If I figure something out I will
let you all know. Thanks again....

-Dave

-----

"I used to have a handle on life - but it broke"

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:01   #9 (permalink)
bradtx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New to group, and need help...

Dave, Go to a junkyard(s) and look at everything with a column
shifter.

bradtx

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 20:01   #10 (permalink)
Hairy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New to group, and need help...


"dbpbandit" <davep@premierbev.com> wrote in message
news:1128096033.359746.89830@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for all of the feedback. I did try all of the "real" auto parts
> stores and surprisingly I came across a few older guys who actually
> knew what I was talking about. I also talked to a guy over at a
> "commercial" Ford truck parts dealer. He looked for about 10 min and
> finally found it in a book. Unfortunately, it isn't a roll pin, that
> would just fall straight through, it's a "Spring Pin" and Ford no
> longer makes/carries them.
> -Dave


A roll pin IS a spring pin. Just two ways to say the same thing.

Dave


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:41.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.