no power steering 99 f250? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 22:01   #1 (permalink)
liteflyer 1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
no power steering 99 f250?

I have a firend that has a 99 F250 2wd gas engine auto trans truck. He
just had the power steering become manual steering. I looked at it and
everything looks ok, hoses , fluid levels, linkage. The only thing I
can think is the pump failed. Anyone else run into this on a late
model truck?

thanks
dave
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-22-2005, 04:01   #2 (permalink)
tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: no power steering 99 f250?

you did not mention if the belt was still on it
"liteflyer 1" <d.benson@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
news:1fajl1t08apqv9ttbkjijbk98gjcinu3fr@4ax.com...
> I have a firend that has a 99 F250 2wd gas engine auto trans truck. He
> just had the power steering become manual steering. I looked at it and
> everything looks ok, hoses , fluid levels, linkage. The only thing I
> can think is the pump failed. Anyone else run into this on a late
> model truck?
>
> thanks
> dave



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 21:01   #3 (permalink)
liteflyer 1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: no power steering 99 f250?

serp belt, won't run without it very long.
thanks
dave


On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 05:17:45 -0400, "tom" <tjctransport@optonline.net>
wrote:

>you did not mention if the belt was still on it
>"liteflyer 1" <d.benson@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>news:1fajl1t08apqv9ttbkjijbk98gjcinu3fr@4ax.com...
>> I have a firend that has a 99 F250 2wd gas engine auto trans truck. He
>> just had the power steering become manual steering. I looked at it and
>> everything looks ok, hoses , fluid levels, linkage. The only thing I
>> can think is the pump failed. Anyone else run into this on a late
>> model truck?
>>
>> thanks
>> dave

>


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:01   #4 (permalink)
Razorblade
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: no power steering 99 f250?

Take the drive belt off, remove the pressure line at the steering box and
place the end into a clean bucket. If when you manually rotate the pump
pulley in the correct direction, you should see PS fluid shoot out the end
of the hose. If not, try removing the hose at the pump and rotate again, if
this time fluid shoots out all over your engine, you have a blocked hose, if
not... a bad pump. You can skip the first step and go straight to the second
one if you don't mind PS fluid all over the engine compartment.

Razor

"liteflyer 1" <d.benson@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
news:1fajl1t08apqv9ttbkjijbk98gjcinu3fr@4ax.com...
>I have a firend that has a 99 F250 2wd gas engine auto trans truck. He
> just had the power steering become manual steering. I looked at it and
> everything looks ok, hoses , fluid levels, linkage. The only thing I
> can think is the pump failed. Anyone else run into this on a late
> model truck?
>
> thanks
> dave



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:01   #5 (permalink)
liteflyer 1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: no power steering 99 f250?

Thanks Razor, for the idea for checking the pump. I have never had to
check one before, it was bad or it worked.

How often do the hoses become blocked? I haven't heard of it happening
before.
thanks
dave



On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 06:00:58 GMT, "Razorblade"
<TraderNO4SPAMhire@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Take the drive belt off, remove the pressure line at the steering box and
>place the end into a clean bucket. If when you manually rotate the pump
>pulley in the correct direction, you should see PS fluid shoot out the end
>of the hose. If not, try removing the hose at the pump and rotate again, if
>this time fluid shoots out all over your engine, you have a blocked hose, if
>not... a bad pump. You can skip the first step and go straight to the second
>one if you don't mind PS fluid all over the engine compartment.
>
>Razor
>
>"liteflyer 1" <d.benson@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>news:1fajl1t08apqv9ttbkjijbk98gjcinu3fr@4ax.com...
>>I have a firend that has a 99 F250 2wd gas engine auto trans truck. He
>> just had the power steering become manual steering. I looked at it and
>> everything looks ok, hoses , fluid levels, linkage. The only thing I
>> can think is the pump failed. Anyone else run into this on a late
>> model truck?
>>
>> thanks
>> dave

>


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
Razorblade
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: no power steering 99 f250?

I wouldn't really know how often it happens but I imagine that if some
debris fell into the pump through the resevoir fill opening, it could become
wedged in the pressure line in such a way as to severly impede the fluid
flow. Something like some bark or leaves from an overhead tree or a little
piece of rubber or plastic that falls in when the cap is off during service
or when checking the level. I guess the actual hose lining could also
collapse causing a restriction too but I would imagine that in that case,
you would see a rupture. I would probably suspect the pump as a primary
problem but if you are like me, you want to be absolutely sure before
spending the money and finding out it was just the hose. I guess, for that
matter, you could always just take off the hose and blow compressed air
through it to find out if it is restricted.

Good luck.

Razor


"liteflyer 1" <d.benson@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
news:inenl1h8jn8bojicsvflkhavco8h1mkk7k@4ax.com...
> Thanks Razor, for the idea for checking the pump. I have never had to
> check one before, it was bad or it worked.
>
> How often do the hoses become blocked? I haven't heard of it happening
> before.
> thanks
> dave
>
>
>
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 06:00:58 GMT, "Razorblade"
> <TraderNO4SPAMhire@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Take the drive belt off, remove the pressure line at the steering box and
>>place the end into a clean bucket. If when you manually rotate the pump
>>pulley in the correct direction, you should see PS fluid shoot out the end
>>of the hose. If not, try removing the hose at the pump and rotate again,
>>if
>>this time fluid shoots out all over your engine, you have a blocked hose,
>>if
>>not... a bad pump. You can skip the first step and go straight to the
>>second
>>one if you don't mind PS fluid all over the engine compartment.
>>
>>Razor
>>
>>"liteflyer 1" <d.benson@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>>news:1fajl1t08apqv9ttbkjijbk98gjcinu3fr@4ax.com...
>>>I have a firend that has a 99 F250 2wd gas engine auto trans truck. He
>>> just had the power steering become manual steering. I looked at it and
>>> everything looks ok, hoses , fluid levels, linkage. The only thing I
>>> can think is the pump failed. Anyone else run into this on a late
>>> model truck?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> dave

>>

>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:38.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.