Replacing auto hubs with warn lockouts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 18:01   #1 (permalink)
rayfromky@webtv.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Replacing auto hubs with warn lockouts

96 full size bronco, Auto hubs aren't engagaging.
Buying warn manual locking hubs.
Anyone that's done this before with some advice or tips is appreciated
Thanks .

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-12-2005, 19:01   #2 (permalink)
Tom Levigne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Replacing auto hubs with warn lockouts

You can get good used hubs from salvage or off ebay a LOT cheaper than new
ones.

Stick with auto hubs if you can - no getting out of vehicle, no freezing up
of the dam things when you need them the most is a BIG pain. After having
auto's you will probably HATE manual hubs.

If I was you I would get another good used set of auto's cheap as
replacements that should last a while. I got some used auto hubs for my 86
Bronco II for $75 and they have been great.



<rayfromky@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:18783-434DA7AF-87@storefull-3152.bay.webtv.net...
> 96 full size bronco, Auto hubs aren't engagaging.
> Buying warn manual locking hubs.
> Anyone that's done this before with some advice or tips is appreciated
> Thanks .
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 19:01   #3 (permalink)
Spdloader
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Replacing auto hubs with warn lockouts

You'll need the conversion "kit" consisting of the nut and washers. I did my
'95 Bronco and many, many others over the years.

Spdloader



<rayfromky@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:18783-434DA7AF-87@storefull-3152.bay.webtv.net...
> 96 full size bronco, Auto hubs aren't engagaging.
> Buying warn manual locking hubs.
> Anyone that's done this before with some advice or tips is appreciated
> Thanks .
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Mellowed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Replacing auto hubs with warn lockouts


My neighbor changed his hubs and will never again get Autos. You only
know they are kaput when you need them.

BTW, both my Super duty and '92 Bronco are manual. My next Super Duty
will also be manual.


<rayfromky@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:18783-434DA7AF-87@storefull-3152.bay.webtv.net...
: 96 full size bronco, Auto hubs aren't engagaging.
: Buying warn manual locking hubs.
: Anyone that's done this before with some advice or tips is appreciated
: Thanks .
:


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Replacing auto hubs with warn lockouts

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 01:30:42 GMT, "Tom Levigne" <toml37@excite.com>
wrote:

>You can get good used hubs from salvage or off ebay a LOT cheaper than new
>ones.


Got mine from a dealer when they peeled 'em off a trade-in. $60 for a
set of pretty much brand new Warn Premiums...

>Stick with auto hubs if you can - no getting out of vehicle, no freezing up
>of the dam things when you need them the most is a BIG pain. After having
>auto's you will probably HATE manual hubs.


Not me.. Swapped the autos from manuals on my last truck and ordered
manuals on the new truck. I've *NEVER* had 'em freeze up or get stuck
on me, but then again I'm a maintenance freak so I always keep 'em
well lubed and clean. IMO the manual units are more durable...






  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:01   #6 (permalink)
pj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Replacing auto hubs with warn lockouts

I had the autos removed from my '94 Ranger, and Warns put on. The autos never
gave me anything but trouble, and let me down when I really needed them. The
security of manual locking hubs is something I will never be without again.
-- pj

In article <18783-434DA7AF-87@storefull-3152.bay.webtv.net>,
rayfromky@webtv.net wrote:
96 full size bronco, Auto hubs aren't engagaging.
Buying warn manual locking hubs.
Anyone that's done this before with some advice or tips is appreciated
Thanks .

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Ulysses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Replacing auto hubs with warn lockouts


<rayfromky@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:18783-434DA7AF-87@storefull-3152.bay.webtv.net...
> 96 full size bronco, Auto hubs aren't engagaging.
> Buying warn manual locking hubs.
> Anyone that's done this before with some advice or tips is appreciated
> Thanks .
>

Here are instructions for Bronco II, Ranger, and Explorer. They may have
instructions for the Bronco too. Either way it's probably very similar.

I found I did NOT need a really big wrench to remove the big nut--it came
off easily after removing the lock pin just by tapping it gently with a
small hammer and screwdriver to get it to turn a little. You will probably
need the big socket to torque the new nuts though.

Here's some info on repairing autohubs if you are interested in keeping
yours.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/explorer/autohubs.html

Once again this is for Explorers but probably very close to the same thing.
I have 2 Explorers and put Warn manual hubs on both. It took a little over
an hour the first time and less than an hour the second time. The only
disadvantage I can think of is that you have to remember if they are locked
or not. I much prefer the manual cause they always work when I need them.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:01   #8 (permalink)
Ulysses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Replacing auto hubs with warn lockouts


"Ulysses" <therealulysses@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11ku1248v88mpad@corp.supernews.com...
>
> <rayfromky@webtv.net> wrote in message
> news:18783-434DA7AF-87@storefull-3152.bay.webtv.net...
> > 96 full size bronco, Auto hubs aren't engagaging.
> > Buying warn manual locking hubs.
> > Anyone that's done this before with some advice or tips is appreciated
> > Thanks .
> >

> Here are instructions for Bronco II, Ranger, and Explorer. They may have
> instructions for the Bronco too. Either way it's probably very similar.
>
> I found I did NOT need a really big wrench to remove the big nut--it came
> off easily after removing the lock pin just by tapping it gently with a
> small hammer and screwdriver to get it to turn a little. You will

probably
> need the big socket to torque the new nuts though.
>
> Here's some info on repairing autohubs if you are interested in keeping
> yours.
>
> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/explorer/autohubs.html
>
> Once again this is for Explorers but probably very close to the same

thing.
> I have 2 Explorers and put Warn manual hubs on both. It took a little

over
> an hour the first time and less than an hour the second time. The only
> disadvantage I can think of is that you have to remember if they are

locked
> or not. I much prefer the manual cause they always work when I need them.
>
>


The link mysteriously disappeared.

http://www.4x4cyberstore.com/website...l_hubs_01.html

And here's some more about Explorer hubs:

http://www.explorer4x4.com/tips2.html#hub


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.